Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Coarse Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-03-2013, 22:31

mark brailsford 2 is on a distinguished road
Default Coloured Hooks!

Simple Question,
Are coloured hooks a gimmick or do they really give you an edge?
I have a few packets of Drennan sweet corn hooks but to be honest when I have used them I didn't think it made that much difference. And what about red hooks for red maggot?
What are your thoughts on this?
Old 18-03-2013, 23:19

stillwater blue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Coloured Hooks!

If a fish knew what a hook was we could catch any fish. To be scared of a hook means you have to know what it's for, something I'm sure a fish isn't capable of reasoning out. IMO how the bait behaves is more important than trying to camouflage the hook, I'm sure anybody that uses a hair rig will agree.

My favourite hook is bright silver in colour, it's bothers me or the fish I catch not one iota.
Old 18-03-2013, 23:22

cg74 is on a distinguished road

On the basis that most fish can't see what's going in their mouth as it enters why is there any need to try so hard to conseal the hook.
Plain old common sense tells me to just make the hook not too conspicuous. I think in clear water on a bright day a shiny gold hook will stand out more than just about any other colour. A dull dark hook will always be less noticeable regardless of the colour of the bottom (or even if used in mid water).

Besides sweetcorn is yellow and not a shiny reflective gold colour.

On a dull overcast day in coloured water they'll be good. It's a shame they're so damned in your face shiny, as they would be a cracking pattern.

Red hooks for red maggots; another silly gimmick, if the fish are that wary of your hook, use a smaller one!
Old 19-03-2013, 05:43

laguna is on a distinguished road

There is nothing silly about hook camouflage or concealment - be it colour, size or shine!

Have you ever wondered why fish hoover up your freebies and leave the hook bait intact?

Perhaps of even more concern; all fish, regardless of species can detect and/or will react (variably) to tiny electrical signals from metal/steel hooks (but not so much lead as I later learned) and that some of them do so, just as easily as they can detect food items at a given distance.

The reactions come from 'galvanic reactions' between the metals and the water. In other words, hook metals (links and swivels too, especially dissimilar metals) produce an electrical current!

A crude human analogy perhaps; but if you are as unfortunate as me as having undergone several torturous dental amalgams (fillings) in the ol' gob over the years (in those few remaining teeth), and you ever 'inadvertently' touched your tooth on a fork prong (or even a bit of foil from a kitcat etc), did you feel a jolt? The mercury amalgam being of a higher nobility metal will conduct!
This is no different to a lower order metal (steel hook) 'Galvanising' in the murky soup (aka the electrolytic pond) detected by a fish - but of many magnitudes higher than we can ever imagine.

Considering these kinds of capabilities of fish, so long as the hook point is left exposed, it wont harm your chances of trying to disguise and conceal (or even shield) your hooks if you think it would help.

May all your fishes be bigger tomorrow!
Old 19-03-2013, 06:23

chav professor is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the teflon coated hooks offer a degree of 'shielding'? A bit like the stealth bomber of the fishing world...

the anti glare gotta be a bonus
Old 19-03-2013, 06:33
Banned

tiinker is on a distinguished road

I use some hooks that I dress as underwater creepies this mainly comes from fishing the fly for over forty years and I cannot say it definatly makes a difference but it definately does not stop you taking fish. There have been several attempts over the years to market hooks disguised in this way, indeed at this time it is the so called zig is all the rage . I have caught most fresh water fish on nothing more than a hook dressed with just tiny glass beads under a float . It is a avenue well worth exploring.
Old 19-03-2013, 06:44

S-Kippy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav professor View Post
I wonder if the teflon coated hooks offer a degree of 'shielding'? A bit like the stealth bomber of the fishing world...

I am minded to think it might...more so than coloured or shiny patterns.That said silver hooks dont seem to put fish off;witness the popularity of Kamasan Animals. Generally I like a dull and unobtrusive hook...except for bread punch when I do use a silver pattern.
Old 19-03-2013, 06:45

peterjg is on a distinguished road

An interesting thread. I wonder has anyone ever tried coating (matt nail varnish?) the hook with for instance varnish? Is this why a coating of 'Goo' works? Any thoughts/ideas?
Old 19-03-2013, 06:52

laguna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav professor View Post

Hi Christian, there are some kinds of plastics, especially high temperature resistant plastics that include sintered metals, notably some shrink tubing for example contains it.

Teflon/PTFE I suspect could be free of powdered metal, are they coated for their slippyness, is that their purpose to increase the chance of penetration in the fishes mouth do you think?

A quick search reveals they (teflon) are of high electronegativity which is also relevant

May all your fishes be bigger tomorrow!
Old 19-03-2013, 07:25

barbelboi is on a distinguished road

Possibly different methods should be taken into consideration, I don't think there will be much of a 'hook inspection' from fish comfortably taking on the drop. During tests I've had no problem catching roach on plastic hemp on a size 16 hook with the 'hemp' pushed round to the shank - i.e. a bigger hook than is ideal for the bait size with most of it exposed.
Jerry