Laguna's top 10 tips for winter fishing - No.1 and a few more

laguna

Reaction score
Winter is not a time to fear - it is simply a change of season that needs to be thought about and prepared for.
During cold water conditions most coarse fish don't move around too much as they need to conserve energy and don't require lots of food.

1. Try to locate the fish by sight if possible or look for deep pools that may contain them.
Carp for example tend to shoal up in winter in the deepest areas which are marginally the warmest.
Shallow water and margin areas will warm up quickly if the sun comes out so its always worth a go if you think the fish will hang out there.

more tips to follow..

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I like the idea particularly for those about to set out on winter fishing. A lot to learn and if mistakes can be avoided then this type of Thread can only help.

I've done it for years (winter fishing that is!) but I'm still looking forward to the ongoing tips.....................

Never too old to learn IMHO!

ps I hate 'in' jokes...............means I'm not 'in the gang' - damn it!!

Last edited:
S

steve2012

Me too, been fishing all seasons for nearly 35 years but NEVER have I thought I know everything.

Always looking for nuggets of info to help in Winter which can turn a blank into a few fish instead

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
You don't suppose he'll want paying do you?

You know what people are like once they become famous..........next thing you know we'll have yet another book to buy..

barbelboi

Reaction score
Don't try and break the ice on the lake if we get a winter like '63....................

barbelboi-albums-pics-3-picture3370-landrover-ruislip-lido-january-1963.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If possible fish in settled spells of weather.....preferably mild spells!

Warmer parts of the day can be good.

Sorry, that's two

Doubt many of us left to remember the winter of '63 Jerry...what a thought..

barbelboi

Reaction score
If possible fish in settled spells of weather.....preferably mild spells!

Warmer parts of the day can be good.

Sorry, that's two

Doubt many of us left to remember the winter of '63 Jerry...what a thought..

Young and foolish Tony, We still fished the GU after the breaker had done it's stuff - bloody great lumps of ice charging down and not even a perch......................

john step

Reaction score
Yes barbelboi ...the winter of 63!! I had a KP Morrit (remember them) fixed spool for Christmas and my local fishery the Chase at Dagenham was frozen solid until well into the close season in March. :(

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location and don't be afraid to go for it if your on them..... My most memorable catches have came I winter against th odds!

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

Do have to add to that.... The majority of my most miserable days fishing have come in the winter

nicepix

Reaction score
Indeed. It is always colder near water than you think and that extra fleece can be taken off if its too warm...but not if you didn't put it on in the first place.

I didn't know that you were a philosopher Skippy.

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Don't try and break the ice on the lake if we get a winter like '63....................

barbelboi-albums-pics-3-picture3370-landrover-ruislip-lido-january-1963.jpg

Wasn't 1963, I was only 7 then, but one of the best days roach fishing I've ever had was at Worsborough Res in the 70's when the whole lake was frozen over and I made an ice hole near to the sluice and float fished through it.

laguna

Reaction score
Laguna's top 10 tips for winter fishing - No.2 and a few more

Laguna's top 10 tips for winter fishing - No.2 and a few more

Use baits with a low oil/fat content otherwise it will tend to solidify and have reduced flavour leakage
Chub and barbel are more active in winter and will readily take meat and cheese which are high in oils and fat but some species like carp will find them harder to digest in colder conditions.

more tips to follow...

Last edited:

pidgergj

Reaction score
Yes barbelboi ...the winter of 63!! I had a KP Morrit (remember them) fixed spool for Christmas and my local fishery the Chase at Dagenham was frozen solid until well into the close season in March. :(

i grew up in dagenham john, used to float fish over valence park as a kid!