eels and the moon

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying for eels at night, something thatI have not done before. Here is my question.

I remember hearingabout the influence of the moon on eels but can't remember if it is the full moon or a new moon that makes for the best fishing or, for that matter whether the whole thing is a load of rubbish.

Does anyone have any other advice. The lake I intend to fish is an old clay pit of about 1 1/4 acres. It has a few swims amd trees around most of the banks, a decent sized lily bed and an average depth of 4 to 5 feet. Is it best to fish in open water orclose to the overhanging trees? I think I'll try small roach deadbaits as worms might just attract the carp or tench in the pond. I have heard rumours of eels and had one myself a few years back of around 2.5lb on luncheon meat but never seen anyone fishing for them.

Cheers

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Hi Peter,

i wouldn,t worrry to much about the moon...........but if we get a warm electrically charged period go for it!

Fish near the lilly beds, the small roach will probabablly shelter in there if big eel are on the prowl.

One line of thought is that in full moon conditions a live fished up in the water is a very good way of eel fishing.