Chub Fishing

Prince

Reaction score
Hello,

Having fished for Barbel, Carp, Pike and Catfish for the past 14 years I have finally decided that it's time for a change.

So....... I have decided my new target species will be Chub. With the exception of catching the odd one by accident whilst Barbel fishing I'm a real novice.

Therefore can anybody help me and point me in the right direction? Equipment, Bait and venues in the North West would be really appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

nicepix

Reaction score
The secret of catching chub is to fish for barbel. Back on the Dearne I could catch them as quick as I could throw them up the banking.

sampras43

Reaction score
I'm also just getting back into chub fishing this season after giving up as a teenager back in 86 and would also welcome any tips or advice.

I did a little chub fishing back then but never in the winter, and growing up on the Ouse it was fairly easy fishing from memory, and most came on bread flake or maggot.

Closest river to me these days is the Colne (Denham, Ricky, Uxbridge) and so far it's been hard work, no doubt made a lot more difficult with the recent flooding. All I've managed so far is 2 2lbers on cheese paste.

The amount of snags and fast water over the last few weeks I've found it virtually impossible and I'm convinced if I had access to some other rivers I'd have a lot more success.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Hello,

Having fished for Barbel, Carp, Pike and Catfish for the past 14 years I have finally decided that it's time for a change.

So....... I have decided my new target species will be Chub. With the exception of catching the odd one by accident whilst Barbel fishing I'm a real novice.

Therefore can anybody help me and point me in the right direction? Equipment, Bait and venues in the North West would be really appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike
As it happens, later this week, early next week there should be an article appear on here for you to read that will give you some very good pointers ;)

bigfish74

Reaction score
Hi prince which part of the north west are you buddy
the ribble throws up some nice chub now and again usual baits bread meat caster worm all work well on their day
iv bee having some succes on the river irwell if you know it had a four out on sunday to garlic meat oh pepperami is also a favourite of mine always carry some in my bag

will try and get pic in a min bloody phone

andy

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Hi prince which part of the north west are you buddy
the ribble throws up some nice chub now and again usual baits bread meat caster worm all work well on their day
iv bee having some succes on the river irwell if you know it had a four out on sunday to garlic meat oh pepperami is also a favourite of mine always carry some in my bag

andy

chrispyfish

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I fish the River Severn at Shrewsbury and find the best bait by far here - when the river is almost clear - is bread flake taken from the inside of a real loaf (not sliced) and feeding liquidised bread mixed with turmeric in a cage feeder. By fishing the line straight through to the hook and using a leger stop you can vary the hooklength to what is wanted on the day as sometimes the chub can back off and at other times they are greedy as hell.

I always use a large hook -size 4 or 6 - as the chub here average around three pounds.

I should imagine that bread will work on any river that isnt too coloured up or in flood. During floods cheespaste or worms work best.

Chris

floatfish

Reaction score
As the days get warmer into the new season and summer, a Fly rod
with a dry fly will tempt the chub. Even from shallow running water etc.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I fished the Ribble at Ribchester yesterday with my (far more experienced, river wise) mate - I blanked, as most others appeared to on the day, but fishing hair rigs / feeder, Si had 4 nice Chub all around the 4lb mark, 2 on meat & 2 on pellet - not forgetting his 'bonus' Barbel just shy of 10lb :D

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A bit distant from the North West! But this is my favourite tactic for chub at this time of year. Obviously location is key and a bit of local knowledge goes a long way. But it also pays not to listen too much to a few locals who claim "it's no use fishing there mate"!

Looking for features is a key element to finding chub. In this case some tasty overhangs, trailing branches & rubbish and roots.

I have an unjust reputation :) for feeding rather heavily but on this occasion I'll admit to "attacking" the swim/situation with about 3 pints of red in a little over 3 hours :eek:mg:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SldRxQSHfc]Fun on The Wey - YouTube[/ame]

bigfish74

Reaction score
I fished the Ribble at Ribchester yesterday with my (far more experienced, river wise) mate - I blanked, as most others appeared to on the day, but fishing hair rigs / feeder, Si had 4 nice Chub all around the 4lb mark, 2 on meat & 2 on pellet - not forgetting his 'bonus' Barbel just shy of 10lb :D

i tend to stay aaway from hair rigs for my chub fishing they are just to damn clever to get hooked this way or is it me :eek:
i tend to hook a lot more fish just pushing the hook into the bait even when they scream off with it

andy

jimlad

Reaction score
As the days get warmer into the new season and summer, a Fly rod

with a dry fly will tempt the chub. Even from shallow running water etc.

I'd be intrigued to know what dry flies work well for chub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:16 ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 ----------

i tend to stay aaway from hair rigs for my chub fishing they are just to damn clever to get hooked this way or is it me :eek:

i tend to hook a lot more fish just pushing the hook into the bait even when they scream off with it

andy

Agree, a lot of those 'knocks' that you get hair rigging for barbel are chub mouthing the bait, I believe. If this is happening, I switch bait and tactics, fishing direct on the hook, and often land chub quickly

floatfish

Reaction score

For fishing the Northern Rivers and probably more, I find anything brown and fluffy works well. Cochie Bundu , Greenwells Glory type of flies. Sizes don't go to small. Chub will slurp decent size flies. Watch for the whirlpool round the fly as they suck it in. !

jimlad

Reaction score
Going to have to give that a good go!

floatfish

Reaction score
It's good fun. Get a big one on and it's hit and hold if you are near roots etc.
Put a good bend in any rod.! Let us know how you get on.

nicepix

Reaction score

For fishing the Northern Rivers and probably more, I find anything brown and fluffy works well. Cochie Bundu , Greenwells Glory type of flies. Sizes don't go to small. Chub will slurp decent size flies. Watch for the whirlpool round the fly as they suck it in. !

I've had good results with brown Woolly Bu99ers, Pheasant Tail & Hare's Ear nymphs and epoxy minnows. For dry fly fishing I use an Elk Hair Caddis as it floats well and isn't as effected by slime from the chub's mouth. An EHC is also buoyant enough to be able to carry a small nymph fished New Zealand style.