Preserved sweetcorn-blackcurrent variety

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I often chuck the left overs of a tin of sweetcorn in a jam jar when I get home. I put a dollop or two of something laying around the kitchen in and top up with boiling water. Seal the lid down tight and wait for the button to pop which signifies it has sealed properly.
Last time I tried black current jam pic attached, I liked the color of this,a sort of two tone Black and Yellow. I did not seal the jar properly this time and it fermented a bit, which meant it smelt a bit vinegary instead of sweet and sticky so , I was not happy with it. however I did get a couple of small bites on it. There were some whole black currents in it as well and I fancied using this in conjunction with some elderberries next summer, might sort out some better fish. I have tried different jams, peanut butter and cinnamon with varying results. However, just an interesting way of not throwing away a bit of sweetcorn.
Next time I am going to put a table spoon of Parmesan or grated cheddar cheese in which I hope will melt and coat/ partially soak into the sweetcorn. I am also going to dye some of it red with some food coloring. I noticed the coloring I bought contains paprika; should do no harm.
Obviously a good chub bait possibly but, I fancy this for some big roach as well.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Fish sauce is 26% salt so will act as a pickling agent. Might be worth a try, I used frozen maggots thawed in fish sauce yesterday, with some success.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fish sauce is 26% salt so will act as a pickling agent. Might be worth a try, I used frozen maggots thawed in fish sauce yesterday, with some success.

I might try that as a flavoring Sagalout however, when preserving the bait as I do it does not need pickling-as long as the boiled water is poured in and a gap left at the top and the lid screwed down tight. Once the steam coming of condenses this leaves a vacuum at the top and the pop on the lid depresses after 20 min or so as it cools. This will then be sterile and no bacteria can enter and so it stays good for a long time.

David Dalton

Reaction score
One thing that I keep meaning to try is preserving left over sweetcorn in molasses. The molasses, being sugary, will act as a preservative. It should be a good bream bait, as they like both those flavours.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One thing that I keep meaning to try is preserving left over sweetcorn in molasses. The molasses, being sugary, will act as a preservative. It should be a good bream bait, as they like both those flavours.

I caught two 6lb + bream from two different rivers last year. Not big but, the biggest I had ever caught from either of these rivers. About 3lb was the previous best. I was using some Jam soaked/coated sweetcorn preserved in the way I described on both occasions. It is the sweet sticky that attracted them I think. Molasses could be as good if not better I would imagine. Anything could be tried, garlic powder, chilli, aniseed, vanilla, anything really, my main point is it is just a good way of keeping some left over sweetcorn plus a bit of experimentation to make it interesting.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Good tip vacuum sealing bait with old jam jars Mark.
Just be careful guys when pouring boiling water into glass jars as they can shatter!
(thermal shock)

Best pre-warming (gradually) by standing jar and lid in a bowl full of hot tap water first for a minuet or two, wear garden gloves and eye protection just in case...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Good tip vacuum sealing bait with old jam jars Mark.
Just be careful guys when pouring boiling water into glass jars as they can shatter!
(thermal shock)

Best pre-warming (gradually) by standing jar and lid in a bowl full of hot tap water first for a minuet or two, wear garden gloves and eye protection just in case...

Thats true Laguna, I usually place the jar and lid in the sink first and pour over some boiled water to sterilize it and heat it up. I have never had one shatter yet but, I always do it in the sink just in case. I then put the old sweetcorn in and whatever flavoring. I top up with boiled water to about half inch from the top so there is enough room for a vacuum to form . Make sure there is a good bit of steam coming off and then screw the lid down tight. Only takes a few minutes.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
After thinking about Laguana's point about safety, on reflection I realized it is quite important and I would hate anyone to have an accident-

If you heat only part of a glass object it will expand more quickly than the part not heated and cause a stress along a line and this will often break. This happens when you pour boiling water over a windscreen and the outside expands more quickly than the inside and the whole lot shatters.
Therefore when I pour boiling water over a jam jar I stand the jar upright in the sink and pour boiling water over the lip so the water goes inside and outside the jar at the same time therefore it expands all over at the same rate. I then empty and quickly put the contents in and top up with boiling water whilst the jar is still hot..

I cannot guarantee this will always be successful but, as said, I have been doing this for sometime and have never had a breakage. I would think that a jam jar would not explode but, just break along a fracture line if it did happen. This is more likely to happen if you only poured boiling water over part of the jar.

Anyway, just be careful and if you are worried about it , don't do it is probably the best policy. Anyway, I have never had a problem but, Laguana was right to point this out and I thought it was expedient to give some more detail.
Thanks.