Drennan series 7 rods

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I will probably end up contacting Drennan on this but I thought I would ask the forum anyway...
I have a Series 7 1,5lb test curve Avon/Quiver rod bought several years ago. Somehow I have managed to damage the last ring on the bottom section which has lost it's 'lining'.

I could replace this myself, but the question is whether Drennan can supply such items to the public or even repair it themselves??

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject it would be very much appreciated

Thanks in anticipation........................

ps I suppose the type of ring (which could be bought on the Net) might help me.(?)

john step

Reaction score
Tee Cee, renewing a broken rod ring is really a simple matter. If you do it yourself I imagine it will be a lot less hassle that sending it away to Drennan.
I would think that any tackle shop could supply a replacement. After careful removal of the old whippings with a craft knife the new one can be whipped on easily. I bet there is even a video on U Tube but I think by your enquiry you are well able.
Even if the finished job doesn't look exactly the same the rod will still be perfectly serviceable and much more use than if it is stuck in a cupboard unused!
Veals of Bristol I believe does a liquid that can be brushed on the whipping to gel into a smooth professional job. If they can't supply a similar rod ring I am sure there are plenty on the web.
A good tip is to cut off and save rod rings from broken and otherwise damaged rods that are thrown out.
Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
In terms of customer service, drennan are very good. Replacement parts will sometimes be issued free gratis and pretty quickly, in my experience. (An issue with a reel I had).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks for that chaps!

I have made contact with Drennan as they have been most helpful in the past....As you say John Step, I can do the job myself (I make all my own floats etc so not aproblem) but I would like to get the correct animal for the job.
I'm not a lover of 'near enough is good enough' so I will make every effort to get it right!!

Thanks again

TC

kevt

Reaction score
Hi Tee-Cee

Not posted on here before, so hello all. just thought my 1st post should be to try and help someone

I've had the same problem a few times over the years and found that if you buy a new ring with an identical diametre centre ceramic liner from your local tackle shop / Drennan you can remove it from this new ring and gluing it in place on the ring that is already whipped to your rod

Nobody will ever know that you've had a problem, I use my Dremel to release the new ceramic

Hope this helps

KevT

robtherake

Reaction score
Good advice from KevT. I had the same thing happen to a Wychwood carp rod, and the local shop put a new lining in, gratis. You can't tell it's been replaced, apart from a couple of stress marks on the metal itself, which had to be re-shaped a little.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have to admit I hadn't thought about this possibility and providing I can find a tackle shop who could supply such a small item (I am not blessed with great ones in my area!!) it could save me the hassle of whipping on a new ring and ending with something that doesn't look quite right (perfect!).

I am very practical around such things so it's a case of just finding the ring!

Thanks for your help on this.......It's what FM is all about for my money.............

ps It's just dawned on me the missing ring could still be in the rod bag..............too much to ask I think!!

sagalout

Reaction score
the missing ring could still be in the rod bag
If you're anything like me it will dawn on you in a minute that the "thing" you saw in amongst your tackle last week and threw away was the the ring.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Sagalout.....Oh yes, the ring liner WAS in the rod bag... that's the good news. The bad news is that it's in a least six pieces.......

Goodness knows how it's happened as I'm so careful around my tackle(!), but I have to say I don't use rod tubes so I can blame nobody but myself...damn!

Anyway, if anyone has an inkling as to what rings are used on this particular Drennan rod I'd like to hear from you. Loads of 'rings' on ebay etc but sorting the right size is difficult IF a tackle shop cannot help me....