Berkley nanofil

chav professor

Reaction score
Has anyone anything to add positive or negative about Berkley Nanofil..... its £17 quid a spool FF$ - so its not something you blindly take a punt with!!!!

I guess the hugely reduced diameter in lower breaking strains could offer an advantage casting ultra light lures or insects for Chub.

I have concerns regarding line twist - I regularly change lines for this reason.

The other concern I have is wet knot strength....

Having read mixed reviews and personally, not a berkley fan regarding mono/flouro..... usually massive hype backed up with very little.... what to do?

Last season used Drennan supplex in 6lb and was very impressed.... regarding dia... its a dilema. The lower you go, the better the presentation and casting distances, especially with casting light baits.... But not at the risk of getting frustrated or loosing fish

Its no good if its more hassle than its worth....

'stick' or 'twist'?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have some and I'd suggest that you be very wary. I haven't found it to be quite as useless as some, but you do have to be very, very wary of your knots. Anything less than a perfect knot, and only of certain types, will dramatically cut the stated breaking strain. I found that you have to up the breaking strain to compensate. Doing that starts to negate the advantages of its low diameter. Ultimately, I found it simply too much fuss to be of any great use in anything but specific applications. I certainly wouldn't use it as a hooklink and I'm glad I didn't pay anywhere near full price for it. I suspect that it'll tell you all you need to know when I tell you that I won't be buying any more.

chav professor

Reaction score
I have some and I'd suggest that you be very wary. I haven't found it to be quite as useless as some, but you do have to be very, very wary of your knots. Anything less than a perfect knot, and only of certain types, will dramatically cut the stated breaking strain. I found that you have to up the breaking strain to compensate. Doing that starts to negate the advantages of its low diameter. Ultimately, I found it simply too much fuss to be of any great use in anything but specific applications. I certainly wouldn't use it as a hooklink and I'm glad I didn't pay anywhere near full price for it. I suspect that it'll tell you all you need to know when I tell you that I won't be buying any more.

I read something similar where an angler on an american site gave up on the low diameter stuff in favour of 17lb.....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Christian

Listen to your Uncle Skippy....DONT mess about with Berkeley anything. Now discontinued [or maybe just not distributed in the UK] but if you can find a spool of Sufix DuraFlex that Will Barnard missed then give it a go. I'm not easily impressed [as you know] but this stuff is as good a low diameter reel line as I've yet found.

Skippy

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Christian

Listen to your Uncle Skippy....DONT mess about with Berkeley anything. Now discontinued [or maybe just not distributed in the UK] but if you can find a spool of Sufix DuraFlex that Will Barnard missed then give it a go. I'm not easily impressed [as you know] but this stuff is as good a low diameter reel line as I've yet found.

Skippy

Uncle Skippy, your advise is duly noted!!! (should have bought the Daiwa reel :eek:mg:)........

David Dalton

Reaction score
I tried a spool of nanofil a couple of years ago. I wouldn't rush to buy any more. I found that it seemed to break unexpectedly. This may have been due to me not tying knots correctly, but I think that the very thinness of the stuff made it very susceptible to being weakened by the slightest nick or abrasion.

I also found that its thinness made it very light, and therefore very inclined to be blown about by the wind when using it for float fishing.

reeds

Reaction score
A friend tried it for lure fishing, and found the same as a lot of other people - seemingly fine but then unexpected breakages. He concluded that it was just too unreliable and went back to power pro. I trust his judgement and have avoided it!

chav professor

Reaction score
A friend tried it for lure fishing, and found the same as a lot of other people - seemingly fine but then unexpected breakages. He concluded that it was just too unreliable and went back to power pro. I trust his judgement and have avoided it!

I had a similar experience with Berkley Flourocarbon.

Got 1000m of Sufix duraflex in 6.8lb coming through via ebay.....

will still be spooling with 6lb Supplex.....

Be interesting to compare the two. I really am looking at the marginal in terms of improvement, but if it adds the odd chub on the bank.