New diawa harrier 2553 match reel!!

paul1234

Reaction score
Just bought 1 to use with my drennan power float rod.
My first ever diawa reel,generally use shimano reels,must say for the money it don't seem a bad reel!seems to have a smoother clutch than my shimano super 2500gtm-rb,feels smooth,not to much wobble when reeling in,and balances nicely with the rod,though i will say the only thing that lets it down is the lack of grip on the handle,like hard plastic,rather than rubber!!
But that aside I'm pleased with it!!lets hope i get a few fish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

agu3y3er.jpg

A piccie for all you tackle tarts out there :p

B

binka

Looks a nice reel Paul, hope you do well with it.

I've had barely nothing but Daiwa reels over the years and really rate them, the old Match S 2503 were lovely little reels and I've still got three of them, the TDX 2503 has now been hammered and grinded with everything for two years from big river barbel to light waggler fishing and is mechanically as good as new still.

Currently got my eye on a pair of modestly priced Daiwa Emcast BR's to replace my battered Fox Stratos 1000E baitrunners and again they look a nice reel for the dosh... £57.95 each is the cheapest I've seen so far for new.

Let us know how you get on with it when you've had chance to put it through its paces :thumbs:

paul1234

Reaction score
Looks a nice reel Paul, hope you do well with it.

I've had barely nothing but Daiwa reels over the years and really rate them, the old Match S 2503 were lovely little reels and I've still got three of them, the TDX 2503 has now been hammered and grinded with everything for two years from big river barbel to light waggler fishing and is mechanically as good as new still.

Currently got my eye on a pair of modestly priced Daiwa Emcast BR's to replace my battered Fox Stratos 1000E baitrunners and again they look a nice reel for the dosh... £57.95 each is the cheapest I've seen so far for new.

Let us know how you get on with it when you've had chance to put it through its paces :thumbs:

Cheers binka,
Sounds good,some encouraging input :).i do love shimanos,but i just wanted a diawa to try out,bloody hell that is cheap for baitrunners!!sure they will be spot on!!
I will certainly let u know :)
Cheers
Paul

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I got a couple of emcast br's when they first come out and for the price I think they're unbeatable, doubt I'll be buying shimanos again

B

binka

Cheers Jason, that's good to hear.

There's an even cheaper model now using the same body, the Black Widow but with only three ball bearings instead of the eight in the Emcast.

I picked the Emcast up in Lanes of Coventry and thought it was a well engineered, positive feeling and compact reel for what I wanted it for hence I will be buying a pair as soon as funds allow.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I Love both Daiwa and Shimano reels and even though I have a couple of really expensive Japanese made Shimano reels I tend to think that the clutches and bail arms on the Daiwa have the upperhand! My Favorite Daiwa reels are my TDRs they are just superb quality :)

I have also found that with the budget (sub £40) reels Daiwa seem to be superior to the Shimano in build quality, by a fair margin too!

Just wish both Daiwa and Shimano would bring a good centrepin onto the market :)

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Cheers Jason, that's good to hear.

There's an even cheaper model now using the same body, the Black Widow but with only three ball bearings instead of the eight in the Emcast.

I picked the Emcast up in Lanes of Coventry and thought it was a well engineered, positive feeling and compact reel for what I wanted it for hence I will be buying a pair as soon as funds allow.

They'll always be out and out shimano fans but I do think daiwa have upped there game other price v quality, I think that's where shimano are now lagging behind. Anyway going to try them today only new korum xpert a, a rod and reel at affordable price that will take some beating even by stuff twice the price

paul1234

Reaction score
Tryed the rod and reel today!! Had a bream about 6/7lb,2 mirror carp about 5lb and a lovely 5lb8oz tench,borh rod and reel performed nicely had no problem veering the carp away from the marginal trees,though the rod still had a nice action,still a good scrap and gentle enough :)
jyte5esy.jpg

dr_matt

Reaction score
I use the same reel :)
Unfortunately, my first copy was defective, the reel had some kind of vibrations but only when reeling in under tension.

Finally I got it replaced with a new reel which works really well.

Congrats! Beautiful tench!