Eels return in mystery recovery..

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Eel numbers having plummeted in the past 25 years by up to 95% have returned to west coast rivers in massive numbers this year. Reports of around 100million of the tiny elvers entering estuaries recently.
Great news I say..

barbelboi

Reaction score
That is good news Simon, it's a long time since I was 'pestered' by boot laces.

PS don't let the Frogs or the Chinese know....................

David Dalton

Reaction score
If eels become common again and the otters eat them rather than chub or barbel, that's got to be a good thing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Seriously this is good news, although I think it would take a considerable time for eels to properly recover. European eels probably used to be the most common and widespread freshwater fish in Britain. Their decline has been massive................

barbelboi

Reaction score
My guess is the answer must lie in the ocean conditions as the eel larvae drift across the Atlantic towards Europe. They’re dependent on the drift for their journey,so you'd think for the most to survive you would need an optimum journey. If that is the case it might just be a temporary or climatic fluke. You get this with most species, good and bad years. There's always only a minority of offspring which survive, and as the conditions responsible for the deaths of most of those offspring vary, so do the amount of offspring that can survive.

laguna

Reaction score
I read this article in today's Telegraph. The link is Mystery of the deep ends in Dave’s frying pan - Telegraph

Its very likely influenced by global climate change, adverse weather, long-lasting El Nino events- recent years being particularly erratic. This year a predicted heat wave and Indian summer....? whatever the reason for their recent decline; flood defence barriers/illegal flow nets and/or weather and spontaneous return to our waters. As an endangered species; I wonder what Andrew Kerr, chairman of the Sustainable Eel Group really thinks about those 1% surviving elvers and their 3,000-mile journey from the Bermuda Triangle to Dave’s frying pan (and a few hundred more licensed elvermen) in the name of tradition?

terry m

Reaction score
Personally I think it is great news.

But I remain rather sceptical about the whole phenomenon.

I am certain that I read a credible theory about a virus that infected the eels swim bladder or similar that was believed to be the cause of the decline. If it is simply ocean currents then that presents more questions than answers.

But as I say, great news.

hunters moon

Reaction score
Eel numbers having plummeted in the past 25 years by up to 95% have returned to west coast rivers in massive numbers this year. Reports of around 100million of the tiny elvers entering estuaries recently.
Great news I say..

:):) that is indeed wonderful news (being a member of the national Anguilla
club) back in the late 60's-70's. let's hope the recovery continues.:D

flightliner

Reaction score
Great news indeed, tho for the last three seasons a lake I fish from time to time as been showing eels in increasing regularity where they had been seemingly absent for many years previously.
Two and three pound fish too which to me suggests they have been there for some length of time.
Still dont like catching them tho.

bullet

Reaction score
Yes, on an environmental level that's great news.

As an angler, can't say I've missed them..... gorged baits, knotted up traces and all that slime:eek:mg::eek:mg:

bennygesserit

Reaction score