Small-ish baitrunner

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Cards on the table, I'm a big fan of Shimano reels & wouldn't normally look elsewhere, however I'm after a 4000 sized reel with a baitrunner / freespool facility, but... I'm after a rear drag model & as far as I can see, Shimano only appear to make 4000 & smaller with front drag. I know that front drag is supposedly better / smoother / firmer but I've not found that to be the case on the Diawa Regal that I'm using currently plus I like the quick spool change on the rear drag models. I guess it's a matter of what I'm comfortable with. Anyhow, any suggestions most welcome - thanks, Jon

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd stick with the shimmys jon. You can pick some second hand 5010's or 5000gte's up in tip top fettle for reasnable prices on ebay. I know they're not small reels but they're not large either. At least with them you know your getting good reliable reels.
I have both models and have used them on feeder rods and avon rods plenty of times and they don't look or feel out of place.

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

I can highly recomend the ones that MAP do. Both the cheaper Carptek and the more expensive version.

Both very well made and well worth a look.

And none of the famous Shimano handle wobble either ;)

Paul

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi

I can highly recomend the ones that MAP do. Both the cheaper Carptek and the more expensive version.

Both very well made and well worth a look.

And none of the famous Shimano handle wobble either ;)

Paul

I thought the map reels where front drag ?

Err..what wobble on the shimano handles ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm with tigger if looking for a rear drag Shimmy, I've been using the 5000 Aero GTE's (a lot) for the best part of 15 years and they run as new - wobble on the handle, only if you don't tighten up..;)

robtherake

Reaction score
As another option, I believe Daiwa do baitrunners with push-button spool release.
I have a pair of the original Regal 4050s from the 90s which are still going strong today. Never had a bad Daiwa reel - barring the dreadful Auto Cast float reel, which seemed like it was designed to impart as much line twist as possible!

jimlad

Reaction score
Have a look at the new drennan series 7 BR reels ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishperch

Reaction score
hi guys, i put a thread up about this a while ago and didn't really get many reel suggestions so this thread is a good one

benh

Reaction score
Got my little brother a little okuma baitrunner at christmas, forget the precise model, and its a nice little thing. Also, at only £17 or so from gooutdoors at the time, its no great loss if you dont get on with it. Genuinely a lovely little reel though.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Plenty of food for thought there - muchly appreciated guys. I'd ideally like to stick with Shimmy (certainly haven't experienced any 'wobble' in all the time that I've been using them) so the 5000 size could be a fit - there's a place on the Wirral that sells a lot of used as well as new gear - I'll see if they have any on their books. I like Drennan & the 7 series looks the right size, but it looks like it's front drag again. I've only ever had 1 MAP product - a Carptek rod on which the reel seat 'disintegrated' after only a few outings :eek:, so I've kind of gone off them! If the 5000s are just a bit too large for what I'm after I'll look into the Okuma - only heard good things about them, but they do seem suspiciously cheap! Thanks y'all...

paul80

Reaction score
I thought the map reels where front drag ?

Err..what wobble on the shimano handles ?

If you tighten the handle correctly and then grasp it nearest to the body, then try to move it side to side. Any movement is a sign that there is slack in the either the bearings, the bearing housing or the shaft.

For me play is acceptable in a low cost reel from any maker but not in a reel than can cost a hundred or more.

Every single Shimano reel I have looked at has had wobble even the expensive ones.

Obviously Shimano owners will never admit to this and I do understand why, next time you are in a shop give it a go.

Daiwa reels normally pass the test and so did the 4 MAP reels I bought.

Another nail in the Shimano Coffin for me is also their nasty habit of only supplying cheap plastic spools at that money it should be metal. But that's a personal choice issue, I'm old so don't like thinks made of plastic when Alloy is better :wh

Paul

terry m

Reaction score
Jon - the 4000D Shimano is a superb piece of kit.

I got a couple for pike fishing on rivers, believe me the front drag has no shortfalls whatsoever.

Don't compromise, stick with Shimano.

B

binka

Is that the EOS Barry? Lovely looking reel, but again, it looks to be front drag :(

If it is the EOS Jon the body looks identical to me to the 1000E which I have a pair of but haven't been too good... I've repeatedly had to patch up the freespool lever which snapped on one of them and the auto-engage has gone on the other :(

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree on the Aero GT models. A really great reel and tough as old boots with an excellent baitrunner. Use mine every week, been serviced once, cleaned regularly and still as good a new.
I also have a couple of Shimano 4000 XT 4000FA with 4.8:1 gear ratio left hand wind with baitrunner and again an excellent reel, also used regularly. I didn't have a clue as to what to buy so I asked on here and one Sam Vimes gave me tons of info which enabled me to make an informed choice. (He certainly knows his reels!) In fact my little babies are known as 'Vimes specials' simply because he went out of his way to put me right!
Very nicely finished and solid as a rock!

Oh, just one niggle...The baitrunner sounds a bit 'tinny' compared with the Aero model BUT having said that you certainly know when it starts to run, whereas the GT is a little quiet (more Rolls Royce), although this could be down to age ..............................................

Still don't get the 'wobble' thingy but I will have a look at mine..

reeds

Reaction score
Wobbly Shimano handles, really? I've never noticed that. I'll have to have a look later!

The newer and cheaper Shimanos are not a patch on their older reels. These days, I either buy well looked after second hand Shimanos, or bite the bullet and buy the expensive newer ones.

I am also a big fan of Daiwa reels, but again you need to spend more these days to get a decent one.

I am a huge fan of Fox rods, but wouldn't touch their reels. Too many horror stories of them failing at a very crucial moment...!

I think if I wanted small baitrunners and didn't want to get second hand Shimanos, I'd probably be looking at Okuma.

brickie

Reaction score
okuma ibf or ibp 40 strong reliable reel quite heavy probably means more metal less plastic as good as my shimanos

robtherake

Reaction score
okuma ibf or ibp 40 strong reliable reel quite heavy probably means more metal less plastic as good as my shimanos

...and the Okuma Poly Cast 30. 8 years on and still running like new. Never had more than a wipe over (still look like new an' all). Smooth, rugged and ultra-reliable and with excellent main and baitrunner drags. My only beef is that the Baitrunner is very quiet when a run occurs, so best used in conjunction with an alarm.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
.....or a decent hearing aid !!

I know what you mean though...sounds more like a distant bee that a reel!