Anyone know what these are?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The first is about 4 inches long, It was attached to a keyring with and a lanyard with other fishing related stuff on the key ring. It has a little pointed thing which goes down into a groove when you press the button on top.The second is some sort of bite alarm possibly. It has a big bull dog clip and a red light. Plus a little hook bit of wire sticking out of the side and I tiny switch on the other side. All it says is FST stamped on the bulldog clip.Takes 3 little batteries but, I put some batteries in and the red light came on for a second then went out; probably shorted it.
Bought a job lot from a boot fair for £2 and these were in it, there were 4 of these bite alarm thingies.. Thanks.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks Rob, much appreciated-makes sense the first item, it was attached to a ring with hook sharpener, line clipper.
I have clicked the link for the second item, spot on. One problem it does not explain how they are used. Being a float only man I have never used a bite alarm. Do you know.? cheers.

robtherake

Reaction score
It must incorporate some kind of motion sensor. I'd imagine you simply clip it on the rod tip and switch it on, so you'd probably need to be using a stout(ish) rod.
Barbel fishing, maybe, or on a beachcaster?

greenie62

Reaction score
I've seen the bite detector before - about 20 years ago in Oz - they can be clipped to a rod / rest with the line going over the little wire 'S' which acts as a switch when tensioned right. Fiddly but workable!
The battery cells it uses are readily available - you can get a card of them from a Poundshop. (;)Don't ask 'How Much'! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think I have worked out how they work. They clip on to the rod between the butt and the first eye. The line hooks under the little wire bit with a bit of tension. When the line tightens with a bite it pulls the little wire bit up and sets the alarm off. Might be alright when I pike fish occasionally with a second rod, I will have to check the price of batteries down the pound shop.
They might be rubbish still, I got a whole box of stuff for two quid with 6 reels of line, a brand new hand line thingy, some hooks and feeders, and a whole set of mags. These where published in 1978 by Marshal Cavandish called "Fishermans Handbooks". They were those buy for 30p a week things to build up into a set. There are about 74 of them. They are very good, covers everything fishing. Don't know if anyone remembers them?

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
...and a whole set of mags. These where published in 1978 by Marshal Cavandish called "Fishermans Handbooks". They were those buy for 30p a week things to build up into a set. There are about 74 of them. They are very good, covers everything fishing. Don't know if anyone remembers them?

I bought them out of my paper round money and still have them, somewhere, including the "Advanced Guide" that followed them They're a little dated now, but most of it's still relevant today. Back then, I could barely wait for the next week's copy :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I bought them out of my paper round money and still have them, somewhere, including the "Advanced Guide" that followed them They're a little dated now, but most of it's still relevant today. Back then, I could barely wait for the next week's copy :)

There you go Rob, these are packed into 3 volumes with the advance guide as well. Obviously dated a bit but , still full of everything and handy.