Reel advice

wooster

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for a reel to suit a John Wilson twin tip Avon quiver rod. I want the reel to take line up to 6 lbs and fishing for bream etc on rivers at max of 60 yards casting range.

I'm not sure if I should go for a 3000 size or greater ( maybe 4000) and any recommended makes and models would be great.

paul1234

Reaction score
I would go for any shimano 4000 size reel,stradic,exage,or if you don't mind about fighting drag,then any of the cheaper models would be more than good enough :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score
You'll get a different answer from every member on this forum; all correct, too. What's your budget, mate?

greenie62

Reaction score
I am looking for a reel to suit a John Wilson twin tip Avon quiver rod. I want the reel to take line up to 6 lbs

I found my Shimanos to be a pain whilst feeder fishing with my JW Avon because of the clunking single crank handle so I bought a pair of Okuma CBF-340s with double handles. Nicely balanced, good sensitive front drags, finely adjustable rear bait-runner drag - with a spare spool with each I've filled them with 4, 6, 8, and 10lb main-lines so I can cover nearly any conditions. At c.£30 each they are very good value and they've become my preferred reels - for about the same price as a double handle and spare spool for the Shimano! :rolleyes:

wooster

Reaction score
Hi guys and thanks. My budget is around £60 but I'd be happy to pay less. The rod isn't that expensive so like for like I guess

I'm more unsure about size than the actual brand and model. If you think a 4000 reel size is about right that's good to know, I was looking at something smaller but maybe size = robustness in casting larger and longer if need be :)

The Okumas seem interesting at the price what size are they?

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
The Okumas seem interesting at the price what size are they?

Line Capacity in Yds @ lbs = 270 @ 8lb, 180 @ 10lb, 170 @ 12lb
or by line length (m) of diameter(mm) 170 of 0.30, 130 of 0.35, 100 of 0.40

The only criticism I have of them is that they are too quiet! - I can't hear the drags clicking away - but I'm half deaf anyway! ;)

I've had roach of 1.5lb, Tench to 3lb and Mirrors to 13lb on them with no sweat - I usually play off the reel, backwinding - no prob moving from that to the anti-reverse whilst landing which is usually the point at which things go wrong if they are going to!
Tight lines! :thumbs:

robtherake

Reaction score
The only criticism I have of them is that they are too quiet! - I can't hear the drags clicking away ;)

Same problem with my 30 size Okumas! If your attention wanders you need an alarm, as there's virtually no drag noise from the baitrunner. They're brilliant in all other respects, though.

wooster

Reaction score
Hello again. I'm having a bit of trouble locating an Okuma dealer near to me ( Kent ) Ideallly I'd like a look before I buy but it seems unlikely now.

I'm after a reel which will deal with feeders up to around 2.5oz if need be, though more often lighter ones at ranges no more than 50 yds. I'm guessing something that would hold around 180 yards of 6 lbs would do the trick. I don't really feel I need larger. Something like the Shimano Exage 3000 seems right to me.

Any recommendations from the Okuma range which would fit that bill?

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have the earlier Cork/Duplon handled Wilson, and I find the 4000 size to be perfect.

I have an older Shimano 4000-GX and a Newer Shakespeare Omni 40RD which I use on them.

Neither reel has free spool, but I find them pretty good. If anything the Shakespeare one is better as it is smoother and the anti-reverse is instant.

mick b

Reaction score
For any rod that sits in its rests awaiting a bite you really need a quite heavy reel, which means metal bodied rather than plastic.
That way if the wind blows a gust or you get a wrap around bite the rod doesn't get dislodged before you can grab it.

I use a Diawa Caldia 4000 btw.

If you checkout the history of ledgering you will find the reel that has done the most bank time is the Mitchell 300, metal bodied, simple in operation, half decent drag, easy to backwind, never goes wrong or wears out a gear.

wooster

Reaction score
Still can't find the Okuma reels mentioned. I've tracked down either the CBR-335 or CBR-140. The 335 seems too big but the 140 too small :confused:

What's the verdict on these two? Am I wrong? Maybe I should just go with the 335 as it seems light enough and I can always pad it out with tape so I don't waste loads of line filling it

robtherake

Reaction score
Just to confuse the issue, these smaller sized Daiwa Regal baitrunners are a good deal - almost half price. I'm still using a pair of the original Regal reels from the 90s and they run as well today as they did back then.

Daiwa Regal X Reels – Chapmans Angling

Edit - The ad shows the 3500 size, but if you scroll down they're also doing the 2500, which should be about the size you're looking for.

Last edited:

wooster

Reaction score
Hi. Yes the reels look good value there. What's your view on the Okumas I mentioned above? Are they worth a punt or would the size be a bit wonky?

robtherake

Reaction score
I've never had a bad Okuma reel, although I have no experience of the model you're looking at. If you dont mind buying used, then a Shimano 4010 or 5010 baitrunner (in decent nick) would be perfect; also the Okuma Epix 30 takes some beating. Both reels have passed the test of time with flying colours.

sumtime

Reaction score
I've never had a bad Okuma reel, although I have no experience of the model you're looking at. If you dont mind buying used, then a Shimano 4010 or 5010 baitrunner (in decent nick) would be perfect; also the Okuma Epix 30 takes some beating. Both reels have passed the test of time with flying colours.

Agree here, I've had a few Okumas including the epix, lovely reels which all went to my son after all his reels disappeared. ;)

greenie62

Reaction score
went to my son after all his reels disappeared.

That's what happens when you overfill them with Low-Vis line! ;):D:eek:mg:
- 'just like that!'

wooster

Reaction score
Good news here. I found the old reel I used to use with it. It's a Shimano Biomaster II and although long in the tooth will fit the bill nicely :)

Also in the box I found other reels. Glad to find them. I'm just needing to get back into practice again. I had 3 centre pins in the box which I can't even recall how to use but hopefully time and practice will lead to improvements again

Last edited: