Trent Moggies...

thecrow

Reaction score
hmm see what you mean... will ride out the storm and brace myself for this potential problem I have brought upon myself.

Anyway, sidetracking aside and in a hope to correct shabby still water fishing comments....what about these indigenous, I mean invasive, catfish. How far would they be able to migrate until they came across a weir or manmade feature. I'm unsure of the layout in the lower and middle stretches

I know of one fish that was lost on the Trent but was seen before being lost, this was below a weir with no fish pass, fish have also been caught higher up than that one so the answer seems to be as far as they want.

mick b

Reaction score
hmm see what you mean... will ride out the storm and brace myself for this potential problem I have brought upon myself.

Anyway, sidetracking aside and in a hope to correct shabby still water fishing comments....what about these indigenous, I mean invasive, catfish. How far would they be able to migrate until they came across a weir or manmade feature. I'm unsure of the layout in the lower and middle stretches

I don't know about Catfish going up a weir, somehow I doubt they could.
However they never flew into the Trent so you can assume the same processes will be used to spread them wherever another single-minded idiot wants them.....:eek:mg:

If in ten years time the Trent is a mere shadow of the water it is today, I wonder if those who put them in there in the first place will still be fishing it?

Somehow I doubt they will even be in fishing.

B

binka

I don't know about Catfish going up a weir, somehow I doubt they could.
However they never flew into the Trent so you can assume the same processes will be used to spread them wherever another single-minded idiot wants them.....:eek:mg:

Lol... I agree with your comment Mick.

In the case of the Trent and other navigable waterways there are however some discreet little man made features known as locks which might ensure an easy spread...

Question is...

Did they originate in the upper reaches and spread down or did they originate in the lower reaches and spread up?

My money's on the lower and spreading up going on catch weight reports/rumours.

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

What does matter to me is fishing for any stock fish (indigenous or not) within the confines of a still water, meaning that they are likely to be familiar with life in a keep net and being fed man made baits etc, these fish to me are almost domesticated.

However, to catch a fish from a river that is not confined like a pool or lake is more appeasing, even if they originate from escapees breeding or stock fish breeding. its unlikely that they have been caught before or will be caught again. Plus they really do put up a good fight and generally look healthier. To me a river caught fish, no matter what the species, wins hands down to any still water zoo fish

I kind of get this in that my own immediate generalisation of a stillwater these days is that of a commie (perhaps, even likely, quite incorrectly) as opposed to the many large, natural and very hard lakes that we have come to know... and love (!!!).

I'm sure many fondly recall Peter Stone's early exploits on Tring?

Conversely...

It's actually getting to the point personally on the Trent where I will do the walk, cut the swim and endure the nettle stings just to catch a fish that hasn't got several sore, red looking marks around its mouth from repeated capture.

A good indication on swim is where there's not a dead patch of grass where a car has been parked behind it for the vast majority of daylight hours :rolleyes:

Anyways... back to those moggies :)

nicepix

Reaction score
I fish saline areas and it is surprising what freshwater fish are in brackish waters. Last month I caught crucian carp in a saltwater drain. now they didn't migrate there from the sea and so my money is on them coming downstream possibly in times of floods and not being able to get back up or more likely being happy where they are.

As for whether catfish can scale weirs. Try scaling this up a bit...........

The weir is around 10 - 12" high and immediately after the lip is an apron of very shallow fast flowing water yet those minnows went up river in their thousands.

mick b

Reaction score
I kind of get this in that my own immediate generalisation of a stillwater these days is that of a commie (perhaps, even likely, quite incorrectly) as opposed to the many large, natural and very hard lakes that we have come to know... and love (!!!).

I'm sure many fondly recall Peter Stone's early exploits on Tring?QUOTE]

Yes, and I remember my own attemps there as well, hard didnt come close.
On some days you wondered if there was even a single fish in the whole place, yet on a very very very few occasions you would need to burn your net to rid it of the slime :eek:mg:

There is a report/story of a distinctive colour marked Barbel being caught in both the Avon and the Stour in different seasons.
The original story, as told the me in Davis's Christchurch Tackle Shop was that the fish had gone into the saline waters of Chch harbour and from there into the Stour, only to return and be caught yet again in the Avon :confused:
However in a chat with Fred Crouch he poured cold water on this Avon-saline-Stour-saline-Avon migrating Barbel, telling me it was being put around by certain well known Barbel angler :confused: :confused: :confused:
With people transporting Catfish around I suppose the truth surrounding this Barbel may never be known.

However on the Lower Test there are certainly a few big Carp and Bream that live quite happily in the tidal section.

Just a thought, can a Wels Catfish live in the sea? :eek:

Nicepix,
The photograph of the migrating minnows is really interesting, did you take it yourself and if so where?

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:52 ----------

Never underestimate what fish are capable of doing.

Or some people........

flightliner

Reaction score
Binka, the cats I saw in the Trent back in 1990 were from the very lower parts of the tidal reaches ( mud city), If you can access a back issue of the angling times you will see a foto of the one that was caught.
Also, if evidence was required that they were placed in the river by some unauthorised agency the picture clearly shows them to be channel cats not wels.
ps--almost forgot but the captor also won a small match with a differant fish that weighed four pounds.

pps, good ariel shot of the wier at cromwell-- is all the foam from thrashing barbel?

Last edited:
B

binka

pps, good ariel shot of the wier at cromwell-- is all the foam from thrashing barbel?

Thanks flight... :)

Incidentally those circular looking objects about an inch down from the right hand side of the weir aren't trees... they're giant bivvies with the clearly larger one being a marquee which acts as a food hall for those awaiting their turn on peg 1a :D

mick b

Reaction score
Thanks flight... :)

Incidentally those circular looking objects about an inch down from the right hand side of the weir aren't trees... they're giant bivvies with the clearly larger one being a marquee which acts as a food hall for those awaiting their turn on peg 1a :D

:eek::eek::eek:

You are kiiding aren't you bink?

:eek:mg:

B

binka

:eek::eek::eek:

You are kiiding aren't you bink?

:eek:mg:

Yeah... of course.

The main food halls and non-resident waiting areas are just out of main view and those in the picture are just the booking in tents and multiplex cinema :D

thecrow

Reaction score

I'm sure many fondly recall Peter Stone's early exploits on Tring?QUOTE]

Yes, and I remember my own attemps there as well, hard didnt come close.
On some days you wondered if there was even a single fish in the whole place, yet on a very very very few occasions you would need to burn your net to rid it of the slime :eek:mg:

There is a report/story of a distinctive colour marked Barbel being caught in both the Avon and the Stour in different seasons.
The original story, as told the me in Davis's Christchurch Tackle Shop was that the fish had gone into the saline waters of Chch harbour and from there into the Stour, only to return and be caught yet again in the Avon :confused:
However in a chat with Fred Crouch he poured cold water on this Avon-saline-Stour-saline-Avon migrating Barbel, telling me it was being put around by certain well known Barbel angler :confused: :confused: :confused:
With people transporting Catfish around I suppose the truth surrounding this Barbel may never be known.

However on the Lower Test there are certainly a few big Carp and Bream that live quite happily in the tidal section.

Just a thought, can a Wels Catfish live in the sea? :eek:

Nicepix,
The photograph of the migrating minnows is really interesting, did you take it yourself and if so where?

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:52 ----------

Or some people........

Oh believe me I never do that.

flightliner

Reaction score
Amasing how times change-- when all the matchmen deserted the Trent in 1990 I had the place almost to myself for ten years, hardly saw a soul, took it to the cleaners with the barbel. I wouldnt go on the collingham side if it were free these days.
Those marques could be the five aside football changing rooms binka, that peg 1a beach was the playing field for a bunch of "barbel " anglers last time I looked across:eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
Binka,
The migrating minnows were on the River Dearne near to Tinkers Ponds. I seem to recall that the date of the photo was 7th or 8th June around 8 years ago. They were leaping the weir for about three days. By the third day the chub were steaming into them in the holding pool. The minnows acted just like salmon in that they ran along the edge of the overflow before choosing the place to leap.

I was on the river fly-fishing on the first day. I brought my camera the second day and took the photos. I'd suffered a serious eye injury the previous October and couldn't see properly through my viewing eye and so had sold all the 35mm macro gear. Those shots were the best I could manage at the time. I went back a couple of times in following years but never managed to catch the migration again.

The wels catfish I mentioned from the Scunny area are all in the lower tidal in what Flight' accurately describes as 'mud city'.

B

binka

Why's everyone responding to me?

I got quoted with Mick's post by Crow presumably 'cos the tail end of my post was there and NP's talking to me about minnows?:confused:

Geroff... Be gone... The lot of ya :D :D :D

smudger172

Reaction score
Why's everyone responding to me?

I got quoted with Mick's post by Crow presumably 'cos the tail end of my post was there and NP's talking to me about minnows?:confused:

Geroff... Be gone... The lot of ya :D :D :D

Because your special.........:):):):)

flightliner

Reaction score
Oh really............

I have read that in some areas a Crow is called a Jacksharp...........????

Mmmmmm- not to sure mick b, Dear old Jacksharp could count, anybody who, s ever shot crows knows they can only count up to one!:confused::D

B

binka

Some interesting comments here if you scroll down to the bottom of the page regarding Trent cats, interestingly there is also mention of sturgeon and the guy I referred to in my initial post also talked of a 40lb fish coming out of the tidal near Collingham just recently...

Printer Friendly - Scunthorpe Pisces Angling Club