Returning non-native species

mick b

Reaction score
If you catch a Catfish or other non-native species should it be returned to the water?

Or should the EA contacted first - via the number on our rod licence?

:confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I understand that, technically, they are supposed to be removed when caught. I'm quite pleased that it's not likely to be an issue for me. They don't seem to be in the waters I usually fish (yet) and I don't tend to fish in ways likely to land them. I'm not sure what I'd do if I ever did extract either from a river.

greenie62

Reaction score
should the EA contacted first

I've been googling the EA/DEFRA sites and it looks like there is no easy answer - you are likely to be asked questions like:
- Is it on Annex IV?
- Have you completed an Environmental Risk Assessment?
- Have you got a Fish Movement Order?

I guess you leave it flopping around on the bank whilst you complete the formalities - problem solved! :eek:

Then what do you do with the corpse? :eek:mg:

It would be nice to get some guidance from the EA before any of us 'accidently' catch an Alien species - FM Editor to contact EA for a definitive article? :rolleyes:

smudger172

Reaction score
I personally could not kill any non-native species that i caught. Its not the fault of the fish that its there.. The only thing that gets my size 9 is the signals..

thecrow

Reaction score
It would go back, same as would any Zander that I may catch or even Sturgeon that I have seen caught from a river.

This question is so wide, King Carp, Rainbow Trout are just 2 species that could be seen as none native no matter how long they have been here, should they be removed? lots of double standards involved from both the EA and anglers.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

I personally could not kill any non-native species that i caught. Its not the fault of the fish that its there.. The only thing that gets my size 9 is the signals..

And even there is a scenario that could in extreme circumstances result in prosecution for an angler that doesn't have a licence to remove them, its also illegal to return them so whats to do?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I would ask the EA in advance Mick . . . . . . and keep their reply to avoid any misunderstanding later.

The relevant statutory instrument is:

"The prohibition or keeping or releasing of live fish (specified species) England" - that came into force in February of this year, see Part 1 of the Schedule:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/143/pdfs/uksi_20140143_en.pdf

Catfish (Siluriforms) are on the list in Part 1 that should not be kept or released without a license . . . . . . once caught, regardless of who put it there to be caught then if you return it would assume you are committing an offense infer this instrument.

As I said, I would get a ruling from the EA in advance . . . . .

Last edited:
B

binka

I would return catfish without a doubt albeit probably wrestling with my conscience as to if I'd inadvertently given other species a hard time by doing so.

I already happily return zander to the thriving environment from where they came without worry and I enjoy targeting them.

I'm with smudger in that it's not the fault of the fish that it's there, the other thing I think is that wherever a non-native begins to establish itself we are merely "weeing in the wind" to then try and control it simply by a policy of non-return when caught on rod and line.

As for other species of non-natives it would depend on the circumstances... Things like king carp would really worry me but either way I doubt that, if ever they began to establish themselves here God forbid, a policy of non-return would be anywhere near enough to control their spread and numbers on its own.

thecrow

Reaction score
Personally I would ask the EA in advance Mick . . . . . . and keep their reply to avoid any misunderstanding later.

The relevant statutory instrument is:

"The prohibition or keeping or releasing of live fish (specified species) England" - that came into force in February of this year, see Part 1 of the Schedule:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/143/pdfs/uksi_20140143_en.pdf

Even that is not clear, part 1 lists fish that may not be kept or released without a licence, there are fish on it that can be purchased from garden centres and aquatic centres all over the country, I doubt that any prospective purchaser would be asked for a licence.

There is a large aquatic place near where I live, might take a ride up there and ask about purchasing a couple of large Sturgeon, last time I was up there fish of over 20lbs were for sale, be interesting to see if they mention a licence.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I would put the fish back.

Like said above, it isn't the fishes fault, and unless you are seen catching it who is going to know what you did with it after taking that picture?

mick b

Reaction score
Okay chaps, this is what you do.....

Telephone:- 03708-506506

Listen to recorded message....
Wait for Any Other and hold....
Ask receptionist for - Local Fisheries Team, you have to state the county, river, nearest town
State problem - capture of Non-native species, ie; Catfish
You will be asked to hold...30secs - 2mins approx.

An officer from the local EA office will speak to you...
State question...or problem..

The advice if I have captured a Catfish from a river was 'Take it out and knock it on the head".

Applicable on all rivers nation wide, as of 25/07/2014 11.14hrs.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
The advice if I have captured a Catfish from a river was 'Take it out and knock it on the head".
Applicable on all rivers nation wide, as of 25/07/2014 11.14hrs.
From my earlier post:
Then what do you do with the corpse?

Did he make any comment on what to do - inc. Biosecurity measures - with how to dispose of a (potentially) 200lb fish corpse? ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

Suggestions please? - are Wels edible? :eek:

mick b

Reaction score
From my earlier post:

Did he make any comment on what to do - inc. Biosecurity measures - with how to dispose of a (potentially) 200lb fish corpse? ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

Suggestions please? - are Wels edible? :eek:

No.
I presume by 'taking it into your possession' its yours to do with what you will.

Yes.
The French certainly eat them as do other Europeans.
Catfish from the LB Angling Club Woburn nettings were certainly eaten, one fed my neighbours until it went off (no fridges in those days).
Don't know if we were given any, I must ask my Father?

smudger172

Reaction score
hypothetically speaking if an EA bailiff was to fall into the river thames and i was there to pull him out. Would he be classed as an non-native species?
If so do i knock him on the head? :)

greenie62

Reaction score

Best let Windy know there could be a lot of guests for the CatFish-In BBQ - might make it a nice little earner! ;):):w

rubio

Reaction score
If we as fisherfolk have a duty to dispatch these aliens then surely the EA also has responsibility for removing them.
Or do they cunningly avoid going anywhere near water in case they might find some work?

nicepix

Reaction score
No.
I presume by 'taking it into your possession' its yours to do with what you will.

Yes.
Catfish from the LB Angling Club Woburn nettings were certainly eaten, one fed my neighbours until it went off (no fridges in those days).
Don't know if we were given any, I must ask my Father?

They are good eating up to around 30lbs then they are a bit fatty or so I'm told. The Russian neighbour who used to fish the Vienne near to where I used to live was always barbequing them. I tried a portion and have to say that it is OK. Not as bland as barbel but more meaty.

:wh :D

greenie62

Reaction score
Really ? What with ? A railway sleeper ?
... Knock a big catfish on the head and I suspect all you'll do is to really pi$$ it off.

I'm just waiting now for the day when some 'Guest' posts a thread entitled:
'New FreeSpirit Catfish Priest - "The Pope Special" - coming soon'
Not just a plank - this superb crafted "Pope Special" plank is made to our traditional pattern with extra handles for 2-man operation to conform to the new EA Directive on Wels extermination - and at only £120-150 is affordable by anyone who's got the cash to splurge out on big rods and reels! :D
Shouldn't upset the non-advertising policy on the FM Forum according to Admin! :rolleyes: