Ground bait mats

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Somewhere in the tiny recesses of my mind, have I heard of these? A mat impregnated with scents that attract fish and lowered in the water. You fish over it and just retrieve it at the end of the day. Or is it my imagination doing overtime.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Somewhere in the tiny recesses of my mind, have I heard of these? A mat impregnated with scents that attract fish and lowered in the water. You fish over it and just retrieve it at the end of the day. Or is it my imagination doing overtime.

I've never heard of such an object.

Mind you, if you marketed one that had a picture of a Carp on one side and a Barbel on the other I reckon you'd make a blooming fortune!

greenie62

Reaction score
Somewhere in the tiny recesses of my mind, have I heard of these?............ Or is it my imagination doing overtime.
Hey Mark,
Are you OK - or is there too much gin in your imagination? :eek:;):eek:mg:

The only thing that resembles this that springs to my mind is using a large piece of turf - thrown into the swim to seed it with insects, bugs and worms - I don't think that anyone bothers to try and retrieve it though!

I 'spose if there is one launching on the market you've just done a good 'set-up' for FreeSpirit or Korum to announce it!;):rolleyes:

Take it easy and don't let this crazy weather get to you. ;):cool::):D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very droll your drollnessesies, very droll. Mines a whiskey, not gin and you both owe me one for such impudence. I will see what they think on dragons den, probably have more luck than you two on Britain's got No talent Whatsoever. ! (smiley) Correction, you will win that hands down ! (grin) (only pulling your legs)

Don't know where I have heard the idea of the mat thing, was it worms being threaded through something. I cannot remember; probably going senile as well. never mind.

Last edited:

Red Army

Reaction score
There were some sort of compressed hemp seed blocks/cakes that would slowly dissolve releasing hemp oil in the swim used in some parts of France but I'm talking 30 years ago or more and I haven't fished in France for a while I don't know if they still make them or use them.

Then the closest to the mat impregnated with sents I know of was some match anglers impregnating their keepnets with the Willis Worms liquid food products they launched about 5 years ago, Formula One or whatever it was called. This was then considered a cheat fooling fish to come to the margins or close to the platform and was they banned on many match and waters.

So after all even if impregnated with your favourite booze you may very well have heard or read something about that sort of concept.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
maybe fro mthe phrase "putting down a carpet of ground bait" ?

Very possible your Lordliness. The sun does addle the brain a bit but, I have worked it all out now. Off to the patent office and then Dragons Den to make my next million. Might even buy myself a peerage.

Thanks Red Army-you may have nailed it. I will be impregnating myself with the finest Cognac from now on.. Cheers all round.