Hooking cheese

big bad barry

Reaction score
I plan to do a bit of chub fishing and have not used cheese for about 40 years! I found a good Mexicana cheese, is it better to hair rig or direct hook.
Thanks folks

greenie62

Reaction score
Totally agree with Peter - the only thing to help it stay on a hair is if you have a QuickStop fitted on the hair - say you are switching between meat/sos and cheese without re-rigging your hooklength. The other thing to watch with cheese at this time of year is the water temp - in that some cheeses go rockhard if too cold and form an impenetrable barrier to the hook! :eek:

laguna

Reaction score
On the hook for chub. For barbel and all other species you can use "PASTE and BREAD FLAKE Anchors" on a hair - for soft cheese, cheese paste and bread flake.

IMGP2518%28w600%29.jpg

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Personally I use it on the hair, albeit a short hair with the bait brushing the shank. But it looks like I am in the minority.

BTW - anyone want to share their method of making a decent cheese paste?

The bad one

Reaction score
Personally I use it on the hair, albeit a short hair with the bait brushing the shank. But it looks like I am in the minority.

BTW - anyone want to share their method of making a decent cheese paste?
No you are not I use a hair rig for all my paste fishing for chub. But I use a sliding hair off the back of the hook shank I developed some years ago. Rarely if ever miss any bites as the bait sits tight to the hook shank. Only time I use a bait direct on the hook is when I'm using disco crusts.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
terry m........back in July 2012 a Thread ' Paste baits for chub ' had some good recipes, so much so I added it to my ' Favourites ' bar for future reference......'cg74' offered a very good one IMO, but as with all such things, everyone has a favourite !

It involved shortcrust pastry, blue cheese, mature cheddar and a little Dairylea if needed. Well worth a look, but a search will probably produce other Threads. Personally, I think it's well worth going with a ' tried and tested ' to begin with, otherwise it can become quite expensive going the trial and error route....................

From memory this particular Thread ran to 14 pages although 'toys left the pram' on some of them!!

ps The writer bears no responsibility for bullet hard paste produced as a result of this Post !!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On the hook for chub. For barbel and all other species you can use "PASTE and BREAD FLAKE Anchors" on a hair - for soft cheese, cheese paste and bread flake.

IMGP2518%28w600%29.jpg

I've just had a Blue Peter moment, I could make some of those out of an old washing up bottle.

S

steve2012

Mexicana Cheese is really good when its cold

Mould round a size 8 or 6 and its GAME ON !!!

big bad barry

Reaction score
I will give the Mexicana cheese a try anyway, nothing to loose! Will be fishing the anker at Tamworth, also got a loaf to try, been a long time since I used bread as well, just need to master it staying on the hook, had a look on u tube so fingers crossed
ATB Mart

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
bbbarry............NOT to tell you how to fish, BUT bread shouldn't 'stay' on the hook as such, and if you still find it on the hook when you retrieve for another cast, it was probably put on too firmly in the first place !!

Bread used as 'flake' should only be pinched on lightly to the hook shank leaving the bit below nice and fluffy...very good for chub and roach IMHO

Good luck though!!

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I'd make a paste up with the cheese, short crust ready pastry and some veg oil. Then put a small cork ball on a shortish hair, mould the paste around the ball and up to the hook bend allowing the hookpoint to sit just out of the paste.

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
If I was to add cheese to my hook what would you suggest...

- what cheese - mature cheddar?
- what size hook?
- how would you put the cheese on the hook? point first, push and twist?

I have only tried once, small hook and couldn't seem to keep it on.

Thanks for your advise in advance.