Broadlands Lake - Needs an alcohol licence

S

steve2012

Went for the afternoon yesterday.

The main lake is swamped with people Carping/Camping

What struck me is the vast quantity of booze on open show. As I got there two guys were setting up and swilling fosters as they did so. Set up three rods each, cast out and continued boozing.

I fail to see the direct correlation between being smashed and Carp care of which so much is spoken about.

I had a walk round the main lake with a view to going after the Bream before I started, the amount of booze stacked up by the Carp anglers is amazing. Not to mention the weed smoking.

I decided on the river in the end and had some nice fish from it. The gate shuts at 6.30pm now for day ticket anglers which is a shame as I wanted to fish til dark with Bream in mind.

Once positive though, I didnt see a single piece of litter anywhere

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 3 night session on there some years ago, maybe 5 or 6 years, but never experienced anything like that.

One of two of my local venues however suffer from the same blight, a seemingly endless supply of cheap beer and anglers puffing away with impunity.

I'm not really sure what the solution is but one thing is for sure and that is that it probably wont be too long now unitl some drunken or brain-addled "carper" falls in and drowns himself.

Referring back to Broadlands, when I fished there the main problem was the unrelenting noise from the M27 that runs close to the bank and the incredible numbers of road users still around at 3am.

As I said, I only ever fished there once, preferring less noisy venues.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know such things go on, sometimes in a big way. Thankfully, it's not something I see very often on the venues I frequent. If I did see it on such a scale, it would be a venue I gave up on in short order.

terry m

Reaction score
This sort of issue is symptomatic of wider problems in our society than simply a few guys purporting to be carp anglers. The availability of alcohol and almost giveaway prices is short sighted.

I like a few drinks as much as everyone else, but the easy availability is stoking up further social problems for us.

I echo - no pun intended Peter's remarks about noise at Broadlands, I have not visited for several years, and if this thread is anything to go by I am not likely to re-visit again.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have spent a little while thinking about this one and I think it might have something to do with the remoteness of the places we fish, in relation to the number of times a policeman might do his beat?

I mean, when did any of us last see policeman walking around a lake where night fishing is allowed? I cannot think of a single time.

So, maybe a lot of these "carpers" (and I use the word in jest) just know that the banks of a lake are a pretty safe place not to get "nicked" for being drunk or blocked up?

Maybe a solution might be for the owners to ask for regular nightly and early morning police patrols? It wouldn't have to be constantly as once a few of these nut-jobs get caught then the word soon gets around . . . . . . .

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
I used to live in Poole and was aware of the fishery but never really fancied it. There are so many lakes down there why choose a noisy one. Traffic from M27 and some of those who fish there.

I now live in the North West, not the same amount or quality of fishing up here but I tend to choose the quieter fisheries and if I went to a rowdy one I doubt I would return to it again.

Sadly the lager and beer thing is across the country but it seems to me that it is usually two things that draw these people. One is if a place is two cheap but has good carp, the other is the big carp or cats. Sadly these people create a bad name for carp anglers.

A friend told me recently of a farmer with 15 miles of where I live, he said he had created two reasonable lakes and had loads of really big carp in. The price was £40 per year and go as many times as you want. I drove round to view the place and met the farmer, he told me of all the trouble he had had, noisy carpers were a problem he said, lager louts he also called them. He said they turned up Friday night and fished till Sunday and the noise and mess was horrendous. He has now gone the other way and charges £40 year and £10 a time to fish, there was just one person on the bank that day.

As for me the site was not suitable and there is lots of better fishing around. I am not interested in the big carp, no interest in cats either, I like to fish for carp, who doesn't, but I love to catch other fish types to and enjoy the animals, birds and the quieter spots where possible.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
So, maybe a lot of these "carpers" (and I use the word in jest) just know that the banks of a lake are a pretty safe place not to get "nicked" for being drunk or blocked up?
QUOTE]

Quite...and its why you'll never find me on the banks of places like this and why I dont do carp fishing. I have no desire to be anywhere near idiots like this.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
The main lake was swamped with people carping/camping?
On a lake that allows carping/camping?
Whatever next.
I'm not a great fan of name and shame threads like this.
You didn't actually witness any misbehaviour - just some drinking of low quality Australian lager by anglers who could well have been set for a weeks fishing.

mick b

Reaction score
If an idiot can get 18months conditional discharge* for drinking four small goldfish, just think of what a prosecution Barrister could make from a drunk hooking, landing and handling a big carp?

* under the Animal Welfare Act; causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal and failing to ensure the welfare of an animal of which he was responsible for.

Thus if you fish for, and catch a fish, you are directly responsible for its welfare.

Worth more than a few minutes thought for all of us I reckon????

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
If an idiot can get 18months conditional discharge* for drinking four small goldfish, just think of what a prosecution Barrister could make from a drunk hooking, landing and handling a big carp?

* under the Animal Welfare Act; causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal and failing to ensure the welfare of an animal of which he was responsible for.

Thus if you fish for, and catch a fish, you are directly responsible for its welfare.

Indeed....and any angler worthy of the name would [or should] accept that.Thinking back to my yoof I shudder at some of the things that went on and I was as guilty as the next person. Now,without ever consciously thinking about it too deeply,the fishes welfare is paramount. I can get quite upset if a fish doesn't go back strongly...and despite the best care not all of them do.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Rowdiness and most annoying behaviour stems from alcohol.
However, I've noticed those who arrive at a fishery and maybe cause a bit of a racket setting up soon become noticeably less vocal once that sweet smell of skunk wafts along the bank..

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
Just fish elsewhere if it bothers you that much.
Although this haopens, there is a huge amount of waters where it doesnt.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just fish elsewhere if it bothers you that much.
Although this haopens, there is a huge amount of waters where it doesnt.

Are you seriously suggesting that law abiding anglers who don't go fishing in order to get drunk or high on illegal substances should go to alternative venues?

If so then I'm sorry, I totally disagree with you.

It is far better to inform the venue owners of the activities that are going on and if necessary have the Police investigate the matter.

The last time I looked I am pretty sure that the smoking of certain drugs is illegal . . . . . . . . .

Last edited:

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
If you fish for, and catch a fish, you are directly responsible for its welfare.

It says it all! :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Are you seriously suggesting that law abiding anglers who don't go fishing in order to get drunk or high on illegal substances should go to alternative venues?

If so then I'm sorry, I totally disagree with you.

It is far better to inform the venue owners of the activities that are going on and if necessary have the Police investigate the matter.

The last time I looked I am pretty sure that the smoking of certain drugs is illegal . . . . . . . . .

I agree with Peter...

Then if it still bothers you fish else where. I certainly would :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Drink is one of England's biggest problems, and it's only going to get worse

I agree mate and yes, like so many other things, it is going to get worse. :eek:hno:

guest61

Reaction score

In my experience barristers like a proper good drink aswell :w would depend on the mood :wh

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Fortunately the places I fish don't appear to have this excessive drinking issue.

thecrow

Reaction score
Some of the syndicates I have belonged to allowed anglers to have a drink if they wished to, it never caused any rowdiness or trouble as the anglers were more interested in the fishing and having a drink was just part of relaxing.

There is a water quiet near to where I live (club water) where a lot of drinking goes on, it doesn't bother me as I don't fish there, what does bother me are the drunk drivers that these "anglers" become when they leave the lake.