Feeder tip advice needed

lookabaa

Reaction score
Hi, I've fetched my Shimano Ultegra Heavy Feeder rod back off my Dad who's had it years whilst I've not been fishing. The 3oz and 4oz carbon tips are broken so I only have a 2oz glass tip left.

I'm fishing an open end feeder on the Trent on Wednesday targeting bream. Will this tip be okay or what problems will it cause if not?

B

binka

It's difficult to say without knowing the pace of water you'll be fishing but given that you're bream fishing I'm guessing that it won't be the faster water in which case your 2oz tip should be fine.

I tend to find that the bream can be quite bold but if bites are finicky try to set it as slack as possible, the tip itself shouldn't affect the casting weight too much.

Nice rod by the way, I used the Ultegra Medium Feeder for many years... Good luck with it.

lookabaa

Reaction score
I'll be fishing at Burton Joyce near to Nelson's Field.

Can you get replacement tips for this rod or will I have to get some sort of universal tip?

squibbles

Reaction score
I'll be fishing at Burton Joyce near to Nelson's Field.

Can you get replacement tips for this rod or will I have to get some sort of universal tip?

I broke mine, I took the top rod section to a tackle shop and bought replacements checking they fitted correctly. Not the same make as the rod but they fitted and work.

mick b

Reaction score
You could try the rods manufacturers, don't hold your breath, but its worth a shot.
Or
Measure the male end and checkout ebay there is often a few on there at reasonable prices, dont expect an exact fit, but a little rubbing down with fine wet&dry and your off.

Or ring around a few shops.
I was in Tackle Up in Fleet, Hampshire on Saturday and they had 20-30 spare quiver tips of various colours and sizes.
Tackle Up
www.tackleupfleetshop.com/acatalog/info.htm
Tackle-Up 151 Fleet Rd, Fleet, Hants, GU51 3PD, England Phone: 01252-616129. Fax: 01252 614066. Email: simon@catfish-pro.com

Remember carbon tips are far less resiliant to knocks and scrapes, glass is a better choice tho sometimes more difficult to obtain.

So if your ever at a Car Boot and a 'house clearer' is selling fishing bits always go rumaging for odd top sections of float rods, a few bob spent and its eating nothing while awaiting your next snip/snap :D

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Fish the bow! Drop backs are awesome!

In other news Shimano made millions of "Universal..."ish tips. I picked up a few for my old perfection before the old girl put a car seat over it. I nearly cried.

You might get lucky if you go to either a huge tackle store and a badly/out of date one.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
You should be ok with that rod and the stretch you are fishing