Why won't my sliding float slide or float?

greenie62

Reaction score
Fishing last evening with a Polaris Antenna float - as had done many times before - found it wasn't launching itself to the surface in its normal Polaris style after casting.
If dropped at my feet in 14ft of water - fine - up it came with no problem. 2-3 rod-lengths out - it stayed resolutely submerged!

I wiped the line down to make sure there was no gunge on it; checked the 'frixon' mechenism for detritus; re-threaded the line through the 'larger' side;
Casting from a pin - so no line-spiral kinks - still no go!

What's going on? Anyone got any bright ideas?
Cheers!

sam vimes

Reaction score
They can be a bit of a chew on sometimes, and when they are it's often for no apparent reason. There are a few do's and don'ts I've found when using them.

Try to avoid the straight waggler versions, use the bodied ones instead. The straight ones don't seem to offer any discernable advantage in bite detection, but are definitely more prone to failing to surface.

Don't ignore the useful depth rating on the float. Using a float rated for up to six feet in double that (or more) is asking for the kind of trouble you are having.

Don't ignore the lead weighting guide on the float. I've found that it can be a case of the heavier the better. Too light and it fails to give a proper anchor and impart enough tension to the line for the float to work properly.

Don't tighten up too quickly after the cast. It needs that slack line for the float to travel up.

Watch the line diameter you use, the thinner the better in my experience.

Set the float as deep as you can on the cast. Setting the float at three feet, when fishing fourteen, when you could comfortably cast with the float set at eight feet or more, is doing nothing but giving the float an extra unnecessary five feet to travel up the line.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That's a proper cut-out-and-keep post, Commander! Duly printed off against the day I finally get to break out the Polarises in anger... many thanks!

greenie62

Reaction score
Set the float as deep as you can on the cast. Setting the float at three feet, when fishing fourteen, when you could comfortably cast with the float set at eight feet or more, is doing nothing but giving the float an extra unnecessary five feet to travel up the line.

Thanks Sam,
All good tips for getting the most out of the Polaris!

Thought along those lines too, so I pinched a no.4 on 6ft above the bottom to 'give it a start' - still no go!
I'm starting to think it's something to do with the angle the line is at entering the 'frixon' device - since it works fine under the rod-tip but not if further out!

I've got another Polaris somewhere in the Tackle Store - so I might try with that later - If I can find it! :eek:mg:
Cheers & Tight lines! :thumbs:

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Without reading any of the above thread (which I will go back and do) my initial thoughts on reading "Why won't my sliding float slide or float?" was ... Because your using a feeder.

I laughed anyway.

I'll go back and read it now.

-------------------------------------------

Ok read it now and it is definitely in line with what was written above. I haven't fished the slider for years, but use to do it regularly in Port Talbot dock. Fishing 25 - 30 feet, using 20+ gram floats.

Although some people preferred using pencil style floats the majority went with using heavily bodied floats. Because we were fishing so deep an olivette was must, usually fished between 2 micro swivels, this also prevented a lot of the line twist on the retrieve.

As above, fish as deep as you can get away with, I use to use a 14ish foot fast action match rod, which did the job wonderfully. and meant I could get a cast that bit further beyond the chaps using a 12 foot rod. Despite the float being super buoyant it would take a while to get the surface, so avoid the age old waggler tactic of winding down and tightening your line. It will appear, eventually...

Use a good quality line, it will be taking a hammering with the float running up and down it all session.

It may also be worth considering using a larger eyed float adapter to increase the size of the hole in which the line can flow through, then having a suitably small bead in place to stop the float going beyond the desired depth.

The above post is so comprehensive, there is very little I can add.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the original poster answered his own question when he mentioned the angle, try pulling a few yards of line off the reel after the cast and leaving it slack to see if it pops up, my guess is it will, if its not that then it could be a weed bed holding it down, it only takes a strand or two.

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks for all your inputs lads,
I have been using Polaris floats for over 20years for float-ledgering as well as 'laying-on' and am normally fairly adept at getting them to float, cock and register bites. This one just wouldn't behave itself at all - it's been a very naughty float!
Having done a search into the annals of this site - I found a post from Mark Todd on a 'Loc slide and Polaris' thread started by Ray Roberts a few years ago - Mark pointed out that Polaris floats can develop a 'notch' cut in the line-path which snags on the way back to the surface causing the symptoms suffered!

I think the only solution is to buy a new one - since I may have 'worn-out' this float!!
Cheers!