Quick change swivvels...

Ryan Rumkee

Reaction score
I used quick change swivvels at the weekend on float, Attatched float to mainline the swivvel for hook legnth, i cast then eventually reeled in and my hook length had gone, could someone tell me the correct way to use them? And is their any way of not loosing hook length, such as using tubing to protect the hook length coming off the swivvel?

thanks.

slaphead

Reaction score
Normally, you would use a cone shaped tail rubber to slide on to the swivel to prevent the hook link coming off.

But I personally wouldn't use a swivel when float fishing.

Hope this helps, Ryan.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Outside of various kinds of legering, I wouldn't contemplate using a quick change swivel. When used, I wouldn't try using them without an appropriate sleeve.

greenie62

Reaction score

I often use a swivel when trotting worm for Grayling - it helps minimise twist on the retrieve - without one you can get your hooklength so twisted it doubles up on itself! This can also happen with a pair of maggots if they aren't back-back and the asymmetry causes them to spiral while retrieving in a brisk flow.

For a quick-change effect I'd loop-to-loop the hooklength to the lower swivel eye - although usually having setup I don't need to do a quick change unless you lose the hook/length on a snag.
Tight Lines!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Maybe it was the way you attached hooklink to swivel?. I would use a loop-to-loop knot rather than a double blood knot or similar. However, i dont use swivels floatfishing, just use link swivels to allow change of leads/feeder on free running link legers etc.

greenie62

Reaction score
It's gone a bit Stanley Unwin round here recently.

Nowt wrong with that - he was one of the finest public speakers ever! Growing up in the 50s-60s we were blessed with Unwin's fine oration AND Victor Borge's audible punctuation - how it would translate onto a forum such as this - heaven knows! ;):eek:mg:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think it was Simon of Crabtree fame, ( or was it mickb? ) who introduced me to Preston match swivels size 25 some time ago as a way of avoiding line twist etc and give a better presentation than loop to loop connection which must be more visable, particularly if you use very short hook lengths...

Not that easy to tie them if the eyesight is no as good as it once was, but it looks neater to me and that's the most important thing !

Dose it catch more fish ? Absolutely no idea !!

Ryan Rumkee

Reaction score
Normally, you would use a cone shaped tail rubber to slide on to the swivel to prevent the hook link coming off.

Hope this helps, Ryan.

Would you use Loop to Loop for hook length to mainline?

slaphead

Reaction score
I do, but it's my personal preference to do so.

Try what others have suggested and see which method you are most comfortable with or brings most success.

But most of all, enjoy your fishing and don't stop learning.

chubber1

Reaction score
if your float fishing just dont use a swivel i dont see the point of it either go straight throught to the hook with mainline or use a hook to nylon..i see all sorts of fancy rigs with swivels links etc .i have a job working them out keep it simple i use simple rigs wether im float feeder or legering and i have my fair share of fish..fishings a simple sport keep it simple

Reaction score
Chubber

Have you ever fished a waggler on deep water with a fine hook length and double maggot?

If so then you'd know that the hook length can twist and kink on the retreave.

A tiny micro swivel overcomes this problem.

laguna

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, there's probably 3 or 4 issues that I can think of using a swivel when float fishing;

1. buoyancy/weight issues
2. bulk
3. Dynamics
4. visibility

But many advantages.... especially if 1 & 4 can be addressed which it is/has already been done.
Then again, thinking out loud here... bulk and dynamics are really no more different to using bulk-shot or olivettes so that leaves er... ??

Invisi-Swivel1.jpg

nicepix

Reaction score
I'm sure that a lot depends on the type of swivel used and how it is employed. I remember years back some writer making the point that many swivels did not swivel as much as anglers believed them to. Using the methods that he described to test them I also found that they did little to avoid line twisting unless you also utilised a half moon folding lead weight or Hillman lead to act as a keel.

Maybe swivels have improved since then? I don't know. Regards the spinning / twist issues with double baits such as maggots or sweetcorn I have overcome this to a large extent by hooking them on differently; one above the other, the first one slid up the shank rather than side by side on the bend of the hook with sweetcorn reduces the spinning effect. I don't use maggots these days so can't comment on them.