Landing nets when wading?

sam vimes

Reaction score
What do others do? I'll usually try to make do with a standard coarse anglers landing net and pole. However, there are times when using them is impossible. I sometimes find using no net at all is possible, but sometimes it's awkward as hell. To that end, I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheaper fly anglers scoop net. However, looking at the average size of them, God help me if I hook a decent chub or barbel.

What say our more regular wading coarse anglers, or even the passing stray fluff chuckers?

B

binka

I know there are various flip up nets available but would some sort of adaptation on that scoop net be an idea?

I'm thinking the last eighteen inches or so of a landing net pole (or even bankstick) with a suitable net of your choice attached to it, maybe with a bigger mesh size for a free flow in the water?

Maybe even drill a hole at the near end of the pole/handle to attach some heavy pole elastic to and loop to your belt so that it just rests beside you no hands style until you need it where you'll have the stretch of the elastic if you need it?

nicepix

Reaction score
I used a folding trout net that clipped onto the 'D' ring on my jacket or waistcoat and could be unclipped and unfolded in a couple of seconds using one hand. You can get ones that also telescope again using the same hand.

There are lots on the market so I'd suggest trying a few out in the shop to see how you get on with them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the local rivers invariably have cobble or bedrock beds. This means that any solution utilising banksticks isn't viable.

Interesting that some suggest the folding types, I've been specifically warned against them by the few regular wading anglers that I know.

Shame that no one makes a simple female threaded handle. I could just use one of my smaller general coarse landing net heads.

nicepix

Reaction score
There are various qualities of folding net ranging from flimsy to superb. The Gye nets used by sea-trout and salmon anglers are towards the latter end of the scale. I had a Shakespeare trout net that I used for years and landed barbel to over 10lbs when used from the bank. I used it as a stalking net as well as a wading net.

I lost the Shakey net and bought a Bob Church reservoir folding trout net at a tackle auction. The handle is a bit too long for comfort when wading and doesn't retract so you have to put up with it dragging in the current but I've had carp and catfish to over 20lb in it.

Best to go to a decent trout / salmon tackle shop like John Norris and have a good look.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Budget dictates that a decent quality folding trout net is unlikely to be a viable option. I can forsee a bodge job with a cut down landing net pole section or bank stick and a bit of foam lagging. Just need a cunning plan for a low cost way of securing any net contraption I come up with to my person.

floatfish

Reaction score
For folding trout nets to attach to your belt etc have a look on such as Sportfish websites. They have a good selection and also carry spare nets if a replacement
is required.Other fly fishing sites also carry them at varying prices. Sportfish are not the cheapest in my experience.

B

binka

Budget dictates that a decent quality folding trout net is unlikely to be a viable option. I can forsee a bodge job with a cut down landing net pole section or bank stick and a bit of foam lagging. Just need a cunning plan for a low cost way of securing any net contraption I come up with to my person.

Almost as cheap as pipe lagging and much more aesthetically pleasing are handlebar grips that you can buy for push bikes, I did this with a Shakey folding net a few years ago but can't for the life of me remember why I needed to...

2x Bicycle Black Cycle Bike Smooth Rough Foam Rubber Handlebar Grip Sponge Cover | eBay

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As a "fluff chucker" known to do a bit of wading work I use a posy scoop net for grayling and a big old telescopic jobby on a d ring for sea trout. The sea trout net gets v heavy after a while and the little boys net is fine for the biggest grayling I'm ever likely to catch but too small for anything bigger.

Have a look at the nets targeted at lure anglers and dropshotters. I'm not sure of the brands but Fox and/or Spro and/or Savage Gear do some short handle or scoop type nets of a decent size that are fairly light. Might suit......ought to do a job anyway.

Last edited:
P

pointngo

the Spro folding triangular net might be worth considering...

Nets

I've had pike to mid doubles in the 60x60cm net without much issue and I see they're now doing a 50x50cm. You can hang it on your back, then take it off and open it one handed when you need it. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use one of these...

Last edited:

Richard Bartlett

Reaction score

Sam (!)
A couple of cheap D-links (max 50p or a quid), a length of nylon cord, and a magnetic net release. I've used the Diawa one for donkeys years & its never let me down. Easily adjustable to balance the weight of the net against ease of release & at around £13 it won't break the bank - & its a bloody sight cheaper than the £30+ Orvis job!

Attach one half of mag release to head of net using a cable tie - this is a semi-permanent arrangement. Attach other part of mag release to clothing similarly (I use the D-ring on the back of my vest when trouting). Tie D-links to each end of cord (adjusted to suit, but around arm's length). Clip one end of cord to net handle (drilled to suit), other end to clothing (wader belt, vest or some-such) & you're away.
To net a fish just pull the net from the mag attachment & do what's necessary. Having landed the fish you can just drop the net in the water whilst you're unhooking etc - the cord will stop it disappearing.
Replacing the net is easy enough - just wave the head in the vicinity of the mag attachment & it'll relocate fairly easily.

Avoid using bungee cord - its only a matter of time before the net gets caught in an obstruction, shortly followed by you getting smacked in the face as it pulls free - believe me, been there, done that!

hth

Daiwa Magnetic Net Holder

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is almost certain to a suitable net in the New Zealand-made Mclean nets. The Kiwis, after all, hike up hill and down dale for many miles after their often very big trout.

McLean Nets - Landing Nets, Catch and Release Nets, Bank and Boat Nets

I have several wooden (one of them sea-trout / barbel large and beautifully handmade by a friend in Wales thirty years ago) and one light but strong aluminium net that I wear when wading proper, game and coarse, using one of the Orvis (or just as good and much cheaper Chinese similar) magnetic clips to put the net on my back and ready to be pulled off its magnet clip attachment on the rare occasion that fish has somehow attached itself to the end of my line - like so http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FyK5GSKHL.jpg

mick b

Reaction score
My net has a 5ft 2 section handle and a flip-over solid D net frame, I think its old Hardy Sea Trout design.
The net pole has a heavy point on the bottom allowing it to be pushed into the river/sea bed allowing the mesh to dry (or remain dry) AND importantly can be used as a very solid wading staff, an essential when wading in my opinion.

Instead of a magnetic clip Ive used a rubber (ex-postie) band in the past, wrapped around the net bag it just pings off when a fish is lifted.