Best float/livebait rig for perch

law

Reaction score
I went to a lake today that allows livebaiting.

I have had good success using a bubble float half filled with water previously, sometimes with a couple of swan shot a foot or so down to keep the livey mid water, but today, I'd get ripping bites, and then the perch would drop them. I was only using 2-3" livebaits, so the tearing bites were definitely perch.

Any ideas on a different float setup that might offer less resistance?

Reaction score
What hooks are you using and how are you hooking the livebait?

Have you considered using a smaller bait?

Is it possible that you are getting takes by small pike and pulling free?

law

Reaction score
There is no pike in the water, so it cant be that!

I used size 6 Muggas and I tried lip hooking them....but they died too quickly/didn't swim about much. Tried the tail, but they came off too quickly (barbless hook rule) and the best seemed to be just under the dorsal. They would still swim about for ages before slowing down.

Edit...as for smaller baits, I did try a couple that were an inch and a half, but they die too quickly

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
I have had this quite a few times, usually when small perch are having a go. It is surprising how really small perch will have a go at livebaits.

john step

Reaction score
I had 5 perch yesterday on a combination of live and dead bait. I could only catch small perch for bait so that is what I used. They were about 3 or 4 inches long. The bigger perch that I caught were not as big as I hoped, just shy of 2lb but it shows that even a modest perch perch will take a reasonably sized bait.

I believe perch chase and nip the tail of there prey, sometimes if the bait is lip hooked it follows that the hook is as far away from the perch as possible if the bait decides to try to make a get away?

A bait nipped under the skin about 3/4 the way from the head works well for me.

When I cannot catch a small enough bait I use the tail end of a deadbait with the size 6 through the tail root. I use a small top and bottom float set well over depth and fish sink and draw leaving it to rest for a few minutes each time.

With the live bait I don't bother with a float but quiver tip with a sliding lead on a big bore run bead.(short hooklength to avoid deep hooking)
The takes are usually quite fierce with the light tip banging round.
I know people advocate light bobbins as perch are supposed to drop a bait if resistance is felt, but that is not my experience where I fish.

rubio

Reaction score
Paternoster a livebait under a float. preferably under your rod tip (or pole(honestly)) . I prefer a tapered longish float that decreases resistance as it slides under. Weight closer to the bait might help reduce it's circling under the float and they might swim more steadily rather than up and down in great fluttering arcs. Some movement is obviously good or why use livebait?

law

Reaction score
I popped to the local tackle shop today and found some real fine wire size 2's. They are meant for drop shotting, but I'll cut the swivel bit off.
I'm hoping that the bigger hook and finer wire will allow the fish to stay lively for longer and also to help hooking.

I'm also going to try a chubber style float, maybe paternoster style and see what happens :)

naxian62

Reaction score
Law, two things: for barbless hooks slip a piece of elastic band on the hook after you've hooked your bait, of course.
Second, there's a catfish rig where you use a small maggot clip on a hair, supposed to keep the bait lively longer.
Also, drennan have some tidy little cigar type pike sliders- 6grams- just the job for small livies.
Hope this helps.