Clear line Vs coloured Line

john step

Reaction score
If you mean mainline I am not sure if it matters most of the time as mostly I use a hooklength of different type. If its very clear water I think it may make some difference.
Of more relevance I feel is the quality/ stiffness/ sink or float/ abrasion resistance/stretch/and to many the cost.
Perhaps other FM anglers have done test to compare results between the two colours?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well over the years I have fished with, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green and clear lines. Lets not forget the old Rainbow line, and Braid.

I couldn't tell you if it made any difference at all. If your catching fish and happy with what ever colour your using, i don't see a problem.

trotter2

Reaction score
I will tell you what I find!
Don't know if anyone else says the same?
The dark lines like Maxima tend to last longer before they loose strength.
They may not be necessarily the best for deceiving fish in some conditions but they definitely stay in good condition for longer imo .

symonh2000

Reaction score
Never noticed any difference.

I tend to use the flourescent stuff for sea fishing because it is easier to see, but other than that no preference here.

lambert1

Reaction score
Well over the years I have fished with, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green and clear lines. Lets not forget the old Rainbow line, and Braid.

I couldn't tell you if it made any difference at all. If your catching fish and happy with what ever colour your using, i don't see a problem.

I remember the old Rainbow line, I think it was called Golden Marlin or something like that.

trotter2

Reaction score
I remember the old Rainbow line, I think it was called Golden Marlin or something like that.

Golden Marlin was the bulk spools of mono you purchased from the add in the Angling Times back in the early 80s it was clear like bayer perlon don't remember any rainbow line.
It was ok line like :)