Security when fishing

S

steve2012

Anyone else feel a bit more vulnerable on the riverbanks these days ?

I fish a few rivers where 20 years ago as soon as the school run was over women would walk their dogs and in general people would sometimes wander the footpaths

These days nothing, any women walking dogs are now in groups, no kids ride their bikes along the riverbank and I now very rarely see anyone at all even on the lower stretches of the Wey where people walked every day

Walking back to the car now makes me feel nervous in the dark whereas before it didnt worry me. I've got a 12 inch knife I have used for year and now I stick it in the ground next to me 'just in case'. Am I getting paranoid ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Definitely not, but I'm not fishing rivers where I particularly expect to see another angler, let alone random passers by. I don't recall the last time I fished a stretch of river that had any form of public access.

If I ever feel particularly vulnerable, it's likely to be doing an overnighter on popular water that's not far from either an urban area or a decent A road/motorway. I tend to avoid such places like the plague.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd be more paranoid about getting nicked by the old bill for possession of an offensive weapon if I had a 12" knife on me....

nicepix

Reaction score
I'd be more paranoid about getting nicked by the old bill for possession of an offensive weapon if I had a 12" knife on me....

Exactly. No lawful reason to take one out in public = arrestable offence. And fishing isn't a lawful reason.

Back in the UK I was more bothered about the nuisance from of road quad bikers than anything else. Never felt threatened. Over here even less so. One river I fish has a footpath running along about a kilometer of its length and I regularly see single women walking with a dog or on their own and there are plenty of youngsters riding their bikes along there.

sam vimes

Reaction score
could cleaning a swim of branches and nettles be classed as a reason to carry such a knife

Though I've seen similar suggestions before, I know that there are better tools for the job. I've heard of people claiming to have baseball bats as priests or bankstick/tent peg mallets. Were I either judge or jury in a trial where such a claim were made, I'd be distinctly dubious.

There are valid reasons for having a sensibly sized knife when fishing. Unfortunately, those valid reasons are probably not genuinely applicable to an awful lot of anglers that might have one.

MRWELL

Reaction score
I can't see the problem with having something to protect yourself with,try telling these idiots who come and try and take your gear that the knives they have are against the law,it don't work.
I have seen anglers thrown into canals by yobs,these things are on the increase in some areas and being alone miles from no were is not a very safe way to fish these days,you might be lucky and find no problems at all but some are not so lucky.
You are carrying these things to help you in your fishing first and foremost the security side of it only comes into play if you have no option left,i carry knives,hammer,tent pegs,bank sticks who don't,but it is for fishing reasons only,now if someone started on me i would think twice to give as good back,in the eyes of the law it is wrong but so is being put in hospital by idiots.
I find fishing with someone is best to deter the yobs but that is not always possible,take something with you to protect yourself if needed is my advice and if that is instituting violence then sorry but it is best to be or at least feel safe than sorry.
Stan.

Teabreak

Reaction score
For me feeling vulnerable is a combination of my age and also my perceived threats around me. It's not just fishing but any outdoor situation. I wouldn't fancy walking home from a pub at night, and even shopping centres seem to be full of 'unsavoury types'. It's probably all in my imagination.

B

binka

Security has occasionally crossed my mind when fishing remote areas but like Sam I very rarely see another human being in these places, similarly night fishing alone has raised the thought especially as some of the lakes I fish are poached by EE’s but fortunately I’ve had no problems so far.

I can’t see the point in compromising my own legal position by carrying a knife that I would then find difficult to justify to judge and jury when I have an array of perfectly good banksticks which would provide an equally good yet less lethal deterrent should push come to shove.

MRWELL

Reaction score
The Justification on having a knife is that it is used in your fishing,even large knives are taken to cut back bank side weeds and so on,it is not being taken by you as a weapon but if you had to use it to protect yourself against someone who had a knife then thats how it goes,the odds are small it would ever happen anyway but i would argue my case in court if need be.

Stan.

xenon

Reaction score
i certainly feel more vulnerable with the passing years, but that must the loss of that sense of immortality you have when young. As for protection, a storm pole should do if push comes to shove, and you can demonstrate a legit reason for having one about your person. Could you actually imagine sticking a knife into someone? Really?

sam vimes

Reaction score
If I feel so insecure as to need greater threat than a well aimed landing net pole, bank stick or catapult propelled stone/boilie, it's not a venue I'd choose to fish. There are plenty of places that I wouldn't fish because of this type of threat. Risking a hiding (or worse) or having all my gear nicked is not part of the fun for me.

It's a bit like avoiding the pub with the best beer in town because it's notorious for fights. I'm sure I'd love the beer, but it's not worth risking a kicking for. I'm certainly not going to go to that pub with my super heavyweight pool cue, just in case. I'll settle for an alternative venue for a pint.

B

binka

The Justification on having a knife is that it is used in your fishing,even large knives are taken to cut back bank side weeds and so on,it is not being taken by you as a weapon but if you had to use it to protect yourself against someone who had a knife then thats how it goes,the odds are small it would ever happen anyway but i would argue my case in court if need be.

Stan.

That's purely your justification, it doesn't follow that others will see it that way.

Should you be challenged, arrested and charged for carrying it you are then relying wholly on third parties to make the same interpretation, I appreciate you didn't mention a size of knife yourself and maybe you are referring quite rightly (excluding "even large knives are taken to cut back bank side weeds") in your own instance to something smaller which you might use to chop bait but in the case of a 12" knife as mentioned in the OP I think that it could be very difficult to justify indeed.

Each to their own I guess.

Genuine fishing knives excluded I think that if you carry a questionable knife then you can argue in court until the cows come home but I would rather not have to chance a third party's judgement in order to avoid a possible prison sentence especially as less lethal and equally effective implements, which could be carried without question, are to hand should the need arise to defend myself.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think we all stand a chance of being attacked whilst fishing but the same goes for all life's situations. You may be attacked in the street, on public transport, a road rage incident, in fact anywhere, even at home.
The chance however is highly unlikely if you are minding your own business and behaving normally.
I'm sure not many of us are armed with weapons in all these situations so why when fishing?

Teabreak

Reaction score
I have to say that I have a small kitchen knife in my tackle box and I did wonder if it was legal to carry. But what has come to mind is that if I used it for cutting bait and didn't put it away and then got into a confrontation with someone, then that other person may actually get hold of it and use it against me. So I won't be leaving it in view or stuck in then ground next to me.

sumtime

Reaction score
I use a Mora 4" blade for my roving coarse and sea fishing trips, comes in handy for digging holes to locate a leg of a three legged stool on steep banks.
I've used it for cutting bait, opening large mussels, making back rod rests out of twigs etc etc.

I'd never use it tho' for self defence, I've had the odd mouthy gang of lads come over to me down the Mersey but once you begin chatting and let them know you aren't a ****head, they're fine.

I've used a machete to hack my way through to a peg or two on the Dane. Always pack knives away at the bottom of your bag after use, temptation gone.

theartist

Reaction score
I have all my gear close at hand so no arguments can be had with someone tripping over it and also i can relocate within seconds should any potential trouble be seen in advance.

A metal landing net handle is a must for me as a staff will see off a knife at distance. Also have a knife in my fishing jacket but i pray it never sees the light of day.

Waders are a bonus too as you rarely get yobs wanting to get their feet dirty so keep an eye out for any shallows you can jump in, nettle beds or muddy bogs where you will have the idea footwear.

In response to the original post yes some places i know seem to be going downhill but then trouble can find you anywhere.

nicepix

Reaction score
could cleaning a swim of branches and nettles be classed as a reason to carry such a knife

There is a stated case whereby a chef taking his knives home to be sharpened was found not to have a lawful reason for carrying them in public. It went all the way to the top shop and the guilty decision was upheld.

In my experience anyone carrying a 12" blade knife in a public place would likely to be prosecuted and probably found guilty of the offence. Even if it were a pruning saw and you claimed it was to clear a swim I doubt if that would be enough to prevent prosecution. In this day and age you would probably be advised to fish elsewhere. Different matter for an organised working party though.

Now, from personal experience, I would rather have a 24" steel rod rest in my hand than a 12" knife should I need that level of protection. ;)