Barbel on the Rivers Calder / Ribble

royd_1954

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to catch my first river Barbel this year. I live in Burnley which is near the Rivers Calder and Ribble. Can anybody tell me of any day ticket stretches that will hopefully help my reach my goal. Any info will be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Day ticket stretch at Ribchester. Ticket from the Spa shop.

Further down stream where the A59 meets M6, Tickled Trout Hotel. Ticket from the service station.

slaphead

Reaction score
There used to be a free stretch at the Shawes Arms in Preston.

Also check out St. Michaels on Wyre.

Hyndburn and Blackburn Anglers have a stretch of the Calder if you want to join.

Last edited:

royd_1954

Reaction score
Thanks Slaphead,

I am a member of H&BAA. Hoping to have a session Sun / Monday @ Ribchester. Any tips on baits?? Crust, Worms, Pellet, Paste ????

The bad one

Reaction score
Unless we get some rain, which isn't forecast, you'll be wasting your time fishing for barbel. River temperature last Sunday was 39F and there's been a week of keen frosts on the valley, so I'd expect it to be even lower this weekend 34-6F. The Ribble barbel very rarely feed at such temperatures, unless you happen to drop your bait right on the head of a fish. Better fishing for the chub at these temperatures which can and do feed with gusto. Standard chub baits being best for them. ;)

Last edited:

royd_1954

Reaction score
Well i arrived at Ribchester today @ 11.30am and the temp was -0.5c with a low laying fog. Had 2 rods out, one with liquidized bread / flake and 1 with a maggot feeder / 3 maggots. No takes on bread after 2 hrs so changed it to maggots. Fished till 17.00pm, having caught 6 brownies. Will definitely be going back soon.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Love it at Ribchester but have never done any good re. Barbel when it was cold; when it warms up a bit, maggot, meat and pellet will all work, particularly the latter.