Reaction score
hi all
just need to know as I have a van now for work my tangling mates
think it ok to use every time we go out next season so I will have to empty
all me work stuff out so they can get there fishing stuff in no one has talked
about fuel money should I put it in the mix next time we arranged to go out

thecrow

Reaction score
I would do more than "put it in the mix" it's only fair that they pay their whack, although it may be that they intend chipping in for fuel and have taken it for granted that you would know that they will.

sumtime

Reaction score
They have to pay their way like you, if it's a short trip I wouldn't bother asking for petrol money. For example, the last long trip for me and my niece's fella was Anglesey (his car), I threw him £15 and his brekky.

john step

Reaction score
Best get it sorted. If nothing is volunteered or if you are expected to foot the bill it will lead to resentment and bad feelings and the loss of friends.
Perhaps they have vehicles and you could suggest taking it in turns.
If they voice the opinion that yours is more suitable then that would lead into the fuel cost topic quite easily?

floatfish

Reaction score
You should sort out the money side first, some people have odd ideas and assume if it's a van for work, fuel is somehow by magic going in the tank F.O.C., and they are entitled to benefit and enjoy a free ride.
Also make sure you Insurance knows what you are doing and that you are fully covered, just in case the worst were to happen.
You don't say if the van is your own or companies ? If firms make sure you terms for private use fully cover you.

Last edited:
B

binka

Agree with all of the above, it's easy to sleepwalk into putting up with it which kind of sets a precedent where you might be viewed as whinging if you bring it up after a few trips... Best to explain about the cost and nip it in the bud early imo.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Many years ago I would regularly take a friend, (he was unemployed). down to the Trent, M62 - M18 - A1, never, because of his circumstances, did I expect payment. BUT, it genuinely did get to me, that a few miles down the Motorway he'd be hard and fast asleep, coming back, dark and with the heater on, he'd be asleep within a couple of miles :eek::D

Unless some of the circumstances for the odd mate are the same,you've got to charge, wear and tear, insurance, tax, fuel, they've got to expect to pay their wack, but i'll gamble you'll still have the odd one who say's he'll pay next time but always forgets........

caelan

Reaction score
cheers to all
great to see so many of us who do the driving are all of the same
frame of mind charge all the same no grey areas tar
martin/caelan

seth49

Reaction score
When me and my mate go on short trips we use my car.
Longer distance ones we go in his, If it's a day ticket water I pay for his ticket , Only a fiver each for us OAPs.
If it's a club water, No charge

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have a slightly different viewpoint.... if I'm going fishing on my own then I'll be using my car and I'd have paid for the fuel myself anyway... if someone wants to join you, then I think charging them for fuel you would have already used anyway is being a tad mean... by all means if they offer something for the trip, then maybe allow them to buy you a brekky or a bit o' bait but taking fuel money for the trip is a bit off

tincatim

Reaction score
I have a slightly different viewpoint.... if I'm going fishing on my own then I'll be using my car and I'd have paid for the fuel myself anyway... if someone wants to join you, then I think charging them for fuel you would have already used anyway is being a tad mean... by all means if they offer something for the trip, then maybe allow them to buy you a brekky or a bit o' bait but taking fuel money for the trip is a bit off

I agree to a certain extent, if you were planning on going anyway then I wouldn't ask for petrol. If we were driving miles and it was their idea or request then I might consider it. To be fair though if it was just the odd trip then I wouldn't bother.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just chuck a kids scooter in the boot, then, when asked why just say its for the first tightsod to go home on if they dont help with the travel cost.

rubio

Reaction score
Not having access to my own car just now I could well do with a free chauffeur.
Generally however I would expect to pay, and receive some sort of recompense. Which reminds me I owe a mate a trip from last year. Wonder if he remebers?