Snowing!!

tincatim

Reaction score
Well here I am with a day off work and a bag of liquidised bread all set to get out and do some fishing and all of a sudden, snow! It's flying sideways at quite some speed at the minute. The winds blowing a gale and I dare say it's freezing out.

What would you do? Stay in or go?

B

binka

I'd hang fire and gorge myself on slices of heavily buttered toast in the warmth of home before getting togged up for the last two or three hours this afternoon until dusk :)

tincatim

Reaction score
Now that does sound like a plan Binka! I've just nipped out for petrol and it's like a blizzard, thing I'll hang fire for an hour, have some more breakfast, then go.

I'll probably blank but you never know

theartist

Reaction score
I've just comeback down the motorway from the shops and two mallards were flying in the same direction overhead - I was doing 70 and couldn't catch them.

The moral being find somewhere with the wind on your back

tincatim

Reaction score
Just got back from a 3 hour trip to the Dearne, to be fair the weather was probably the worst I've ever fished in but I wrapped up warm and didn't feel too cold. The wind made it very difficult, the snow, sleet hail and rain just added to the fun!
htec1t.jpg

There's some really good looking swims on the Dearne that never seem to hold any fish, at least not when I'm there!

15wbea0.jpg

Anyway, I didn't blank. I had two chub, no bigger than a pound and a half but welcome all the same. Glad I went out, the fresh air does you good.

1589w9g.jpg

B

binka

Well done Tim, good reward for getting out and a nice fish.

Do you think there is a bit of Ide about it instead of chub, the scale count along the lateral line suggests an Ide?

Very nice fish either way.

rubio

Reaction score
I was thinking of having an hour or two after work. Of course it might be a little too bright and sunny out here in the east!

tincatim

Reaction score
Do you know what, it might well be an ide, it doesnt look right for a chub on reflection, it's fins seem a bit too red plus it fought like an ide - came in dead easy then went mental in the net.

Well spotted. I think I was just that happy to have had a bite, I didn't really consider it.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

I was thinking of having an hour or two after work. Of course it might be a little too bright and sunny out here in the east!

It's bright and sunny here now, more pleasant to be out in but doesn't do the fishing much good!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I was happily just looking at the pictures, thought "that looks like an ide", then actually read the thread. Aren't there a few of the South Yorkshire rivers that have a decent head of ide?

john step

Reaction score
I sat it out in the weather today and had two pike doubles. The biggest just a few ounces short of the magic 20.
To think I nearly didn't go!!:eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
Poor souls. :D

I got a bit wet at my first job, but there was the last mole in the trap and so I was able to invoice. From then in it was wall to wall sunshine and I was down to a T shirt for the rest of the day :w

Second job was a 17th century chateau, then out west to an old farm house. My route took me past Angouleme retail park and so I felt obliged to convert some of the fee I'd received into a bait caster reel and then almost broke out into a sweat on the last job as it was so warm. :)

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

I was happily just looking at the pictures, thought "that looks like an ide", then actually read the thread. Aren't there a few of the South Yorkshire rivers that have a decent head of ide?

I don't know of any Sam. The Dearne at Adwick has a wide range of species including tench and ghost carp but I've never heard of anyone catching ide.

tincatim

Reaction score
I take it you don't miss the 'exotic' yorkshire weather then?

Speaking of moles, I found a dead one today next to the dearne. It was flat on its back with its legs stretched out. Looked like it had been frozen!

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

I dare say that the ide got in at some point during floods, they're stocked into most commercials round here so it's not unfeasible for them to have escaped.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't know of any Sam. The Dearne at Adwick has a wide range of species including tench and ghost carp but I've never heard of anyone catching ide.

West not South, it was the Calder that I was thinking about. I knew I'd read about them somewhere in a Yorkshire river, and they're all south to me!;):wh:eek:mg:
Oops, there was an error! | Yorkshire Fishing

nicepix

Reaction score
I take it you don't miss the 'exotic' yorkshire weather then?

Speaking of moles, I found a dead one today next to the dearne. It was flat on its back with its legs stretched out. Looked like it had been frozen!

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

I dare say that the ide got in at some point during floods, they're stocked into most commercials round here so it's not unfeasible for them to have escaped.

Anything is possible. I had a rainbow trout out at Darfield while fly-fishing for dace around 2010. Now try and work out where that came from :confused:

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

West not South, it was the Calder that I was thinking about. I knew I'd read about them somewhere in a Yorkshire river, and they're all south to me!;):wh:eek:mg:
Oops, there was an error! | Yorkshire Fishing

I thought all you squaddies were experts at map reading? :w