oils

denzinho

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking at fishing the River this weekend and bait choice is luncheon meat. I've added some tumeric to it but I would like to add some sort of meat oil to it for added attraction. I have looked at glugs but would prefer something more in the supermarket if possible. Any tips are appreciated

Steve

john step

Reaction score
I always used to use cod liver oil from the chemist before oils were available for fishing. I don't know nowadays how the price of this compares with fishing oil glugs though.
Its good for adding a squirt in groundbait. You get a nice oily slick come up exactly where it lands.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have done really well with; meat, sweetcorn and hemp by liberally covering the bait with Lo-Salt. It helps to preserve the hemp too.

Keith M

Reaction score
When I'm on the river at this time of year I often wrap my Baits in soft Crab or Halibut paste which seems to attract the Barbel and Chub from downstream along the trail of dissolved paste right up to my hook bait.

Well that's usually the plan anyway LOL..

Keith

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chilli oil, garlic oil and almond oil have all found their way into my bait, another favourite is a tin of tuna or pilchards in oil, the cheaper the better. Squeeze some of the oil into a plastic bag with the meat, salt and pepper the tuna and use in your sandwiches or your groundbait, whichever you prefer.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have never tried it, just thought of it in fact. Peanut butter, I know its oily and could be spread on a bit of luncheon meat. Does it dissolve in water and carry the scent and oils downstream? If it did along with the scent of the luncheon meat-Whether its any good I have no idea but, its cheap and in supermarkets--just a out loud thought.

I imagine the smooth variety would be best and maybe it could be mixed with something to make it more "glug like" if preferred (olive oil maybe) and other flavors added if required as an experiment. However, it could just be used neat and smeared onto a bit of LM.

Last edited:

tinkertinker

Reaction score
Unless the oil has been emulsified when it washes off the bait it will float to the surface .
A liquid flavouring would be better and less hassle to use.
2 1/2 ml (half a teaspoon) to a chopped 8oz to 12oz tin of meat.
Add meat to a plastic bag, add the flavour, shake well for a few minutes.
Best done the day before the trip.
I`m talking about the flavours used in carp fishing. Caught carp in the past on meat flavoured with Rod Hutchinson Ultraspice and even better was RH Seafood.

rubio

Reaction score
Marmite, gravy granules, and many other powders and unctions have been added to meat by me in the past. Not sure they made any significant benefit. Tinned meat already has spices and salt added anyway. I tried some SAC juice stuff from a certain supplier with success for crucians last spring. 'HOT' was my favourite. I also like stealing the matchman's tip of pushing half a tin thro a maggot riddle, mix in a handful of hemp and maybe groundbait or some other binding agent to get lots of scent but not so much food.
A 20p size pva bag might be enough if you're legering and the flow isn't excessive.

denzinho

Reaction score
Chilli oil, garlic oil and almond oil have all found their way into my bait, another favourite is a tin of tuna or pilchards in oil, the cheaper the better. Squeeze some of the oil into a plastic bag with the meat, salt and pepper the tuna and use in your sandwiches or your groundbait, whichever you prefer.

Garlic oil is genius. I also like the cheaper the better attitude :D