There was a Mouse...Where...There on..

maverick 7

Reaction score
Just retired and I have got lots of spare time so I decided to get some jobs done that I have always wanted to do but never seemed to have the time to do them......so my first job was dealing with my delapidated fence by exchanging it for a brand new concrete one.....I tackled my second task today ....cleaning out the garage where I keep my nets, towels, boots and waders etc. I was amazed to find hundreds of nuts and seeds (which I keep for feeding the birds) and bits of towel almost totally filling one of my boots..... I couldn't believe how much there was in it....it was mice...... somehow using my boot as a larder or something

I am sorry if there has been a similar thread on here....but I reckon there must be a similar thread on here for almost everything that is now posted.

Anyway, my big question is... what is the best way of getting rid of these little varmints?...I have got some traps and a some poison that you put down for them but maybe you know a better way of doing this as I am sure some of you have had this problem too.

They have chewed two of my landing nets and my ONLY keepnet which I never use so I am not too depressed about that...one 28" barbel spoon which was my favourite net and I had had that for almost 20 years....bought for a fiver as a prototype from **** Clegg's Brittania when I was trading with them. The other was a bog standard 22" spoon....I have another 2 x 28" spoons and several 22" so I can easily replace the damaged ones but it was my favourite so these little so and so's have got to go.

...but how do I do it?

Maverick

Last edited:

smudger172

Reaction score
Had the same problem. Water down some Tabasco and spray on the floor and walls. Smells a bit but the furry darlings do not like it....

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
There is only one way of preventing them and that is a very strict regime of depriving them of food by keeping all baits and bird food in sealed tubs as previously stated. This will diminish the scent as well which attracts them.

They will gnaw at nets with fish slime on them. Disinfect after each trip(good for fishery safety also) and hang them out of reach.
Make sure there are no holes or gaps for them to get access through.

When purged leave a small tub of poison pellets in easy to monitor corners of your garage so you will see very quickly if there any more incursions.

I'm sorry to say its mostly a matter of hygiene as they are just about everywhere, especially if you feed birds

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once sealed my infested garage up and left a petrol mower running in it and gassed the little monsters, the only problem was the bodys remain and the stink while they decompose is horrendous so you end up clearing up anyway.

The best way to get rid without clearing up is to trap them, use whatever bait you like but my most successful one was Christmas cake. One tip when trapping mise is that if the trap has been sprung and the bait is still present you have bagged the last one in the shoal, as the old saying goes, "the second mouse always gets the cheese".

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had this problem although in this case it was all the garden stuff they ate in the garden shed.. They were partial to bulbs especially and the bird food. Once I removed it all and locked it up they did not stay much longer. I think it took a couple of months and they seemed to have disappeared. Have not seen any sign of them for a long time.

Richard Jamieson 2

Reaction score
I've just undertaken a major trapping operation in the garage after my float tube anchor rope was reduced to fluff by the little sods. Four traps with mature cheddar accounted for four the first day, four the second and three the third. Since then they've been empty. I'm going to change the bait today to make sure they've not just got sick of cheese........

rubio

Reaction score
I've just undertaken a major trapping operation in the garage after my float tube anchor rope was reduced to fluff by the little sods. Four traps with mature cheddar accounted for four the first day, four the second and three the third. Since then they've been empty. I'm going to change the bait today to make sure they've not just got sick of cheese........
It would put me off cheese!

theartist

Reaction score
Ok me and my elderly neighbour have got a similar problem with mice in the loft, noisy sods middle of the night - the mice not the neighbours that is! Thing is we got traps with nuts, cheese, chocolate spread plus poison and none of it has been touched. Any suggestions? other than a cat which won't be a good idea in the loft i reckon

tincatim

Reaction score
Ok me and my elderly neighbour have got a similar problem with mice in the loft, noisy sods middle of the night - the mice not the neighbours that is! Thing is we got traps with nuts, cheese, chocolate spread plus poison and none of it has been touched. Any suggestions? other than a cat which won't be a good idea in the loft i reckon

I've got a mate that swears by peanut butter, failing that I've got some jpz pellets you can have, they don't seem to attract fish so maybe better luck with mice?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Are you sure its mice and not squirrels or bats? Both can be a pain in the rear end.

The council might be able to help if it's an infestation you cant deal with.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
It's been said already - but worth repeating the point about getting anything they might find interesting hung on the wall.

I did have a big plastic storage tub that i thought was mouse-proof that they just gnawed through.... so now, any bait i have in the gargae is stored in a big rucksack hung on a hook.

I also ran a trapping campaign for a little while, I found Sonu 11m s-pellets to be very effective, you could really jam one into the bait holder on the trap.

Funnily enough, I also had the boot problem!

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks Chaps turns out on inspection of the droppings that I suspect Squirrels are the culprits so will get the trap set up there.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Squirrels are good eating, just treat them like rabbit or chicken. Freeze them until you have a reasonable amount.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score

We used an ultrasonic device which drove the squirrels out of our loft
Try this:

The Top Three Squirrel Repellents & Traps :: pest-control-products.net

Ian

nicepix

Reaction score
Squirrels are good eating, just treat them like rabbit or chicken. Freeze them until you have a reasonable amount.

There's not much meat on a female squirrel but some of the bucks have a good pair of haunches on them. As you say, it is a bit like rabbit without that unpleasant aroma that comes with wild rabbit meat.

We used an ultrasonic device which drove the squirrels out of our loft
Try this:

The Top Three Squirrel Repellents & Traps :: pest-control-products.net

Ian

As part of the pest control side of things I regularly come across other types of pests than moles. Stone martens get into roof spaces as do squirrels and I loan people a shed alarm kit that contains two radio emitter PIRs and a siren box. I don't charge as I only put mole control on my business description, but the kit gets rid of the martens or squirrels in a few days.

For mice I find that chocolate is the best bait, but for those really tiny mice it is often best to place a glass bottle on its side slightly angled upwards, make a ramp up to the neck and put a bit of chocolate in the bottle. Mice can't get up the neck of the bottle to escape once they are in it.

If the mouse is not setting the mousetrap off use softer stuff like peanut butter or Nutella smeared over the trap. It also pays to tune the traps by bending the wires with pliers so they are really sensitive.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rabbit is ok if it is field dressed and the bladder is intact, if not it only good for ferret food.