Hempseed and snails

daji

Reaction score
No but i'll definitely give them a try when i target the Tench later this year.

caelan

Reaction score
this is new to me will look out for it in me local tackle shop an give it a go
this season for me tench

Keith M

Reaction score
They look like a great bait which I will definitely give a try for the Chub and Barbel when the rivers open in June. They also look very promising for the Tench, Crucians and larger Roach too.

Keith

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Yeah it definitely looks interesting, the snails are cooked though, which I would think would alter the flavour, whether for the better or worse I don't know.

I won some artificial baits in the caption competition a while ago and among them was a collection of rubber snail shells. I was thinking of giving them a go by filling them with some Anchovy type paste when the weather warms up. I may give them a try with this.

denzinho

Reaction score
WoW its like £5.99 bit steep don't you think considering sweetcorn is like 50p and will catch you fish all day.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Used to use the small black snails found in silkweed many years ago for roach - very effective and free. They always seemed to be in the free growing weed, not the stuff that hangs to the concrete on weirs, etc..........

denzinho

Reaction score
free is good.....we like free, to be honest £6 is a lot for say a kid to buy and fish with. Is it a case of Dynamite baits trying to buy the angler.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes free is best especially for the youngsters but if youngsters (or anyone else) can't afford to pay for them then they can always collect their own snails and cook them (or use them raw if they want to) and shell them and then add the snails and any snail juices to some cooked hemp then finally store them in airtight containers to keep them fresh untill they are required.
They don't have to pay if they are willing to do their own collection and preparation, a small net will catch them plenty of snails and chucking them in the freezer will keep them fresh enough.

Perhaps £3 or £4 would be a much fairer price to pay I totally agree; but at least those like me who are lazy b****rs and don't want to have to go through all the Polava of having to collect and then prepare this bait ourselves; can get someone else to prepare this currently uncommon bait for them and have the bait readily available all year round without having to freeze them; for the price of a packet of fags Lol..

The bait might turn out to be not as good as it sounds anyway Lol...

Keith

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Sounds like a starter in a French motorway cafe.

Have you ever been over here Ade? It is changing a bit now, but up to a few years ago the standard supermarket restaurant meals were really good quality and very reasonable prices. We used to look out for Carrefour supermarkets as their restaurants were the best.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have you ever been over here Ade? It is changing a bit now, but up to a few years ago the standard supermarket restaurant meals were really good quality and very reasonable prices. We used to look out for Carrefour supermarkets as their restaurants were the best.

I was being ironic, I was amazed at the quality of the food in the motorway cafes and it would not surprise me in the slightest to find escargots Bourguignonne with hemp flour bread croutons on the menu.

Rich P

Reaction score
Probably not. Hemp is already a fantastic attractant and I can't imagine snails, or their juice, adding anything. I guess the bait companies have to come up with a new idea every now and then, just to keep the R & D dept ticking over...... :)