Coconut pellets question? Coconut as a flavour question?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Apart from trout pellet, I have never used pellets before. I was in the pound shop yesterday and on a whim I bought a pack of pellets, you guessed it, for £1.
When I got home I noticed they were coconut flavored. Never heard of coconut before, which species would they attract, are they any good? is coconut a good flavor?
When I used trout pellets a long time ago we used to scrunch them up and mix it with egg to from a paste, very effective on the commercials I fished back then and I often wondered if it was the egg that attracted the fish as much as the trout pellet, should I do the same with these? ( I am not very good at hair rigs and complicated fiddling, prefer to just put on the hook, a bit old fashioned but there you are, just me)
Were trout pellets mixed this way harmful to fish and if so; would these cheap pellets if mixed the same way be harmful as well?

(its 9.29am !)

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Can't offer you any accounts of using these but for sure coconut has been used for carp. Hair-rigged. Which is not a complicated process with just a little practice. If you are looking for a cheap coconut flavour mix try adding some coconut milk powder. Costs less in local asian food shops than supermarkets. It didn't seem to harm catches used with liquidised bread. but also wasn't obviously catching any more than bread alone.
Good luck with 'em

john step

Reaction score
Lots of coconut stuff in bait form.
However as to hair rigs, why not try some ready tied hooks with hair rigs and bait band a go. Easy to use. Nothing to lose.

The bad one

Reaction score
As has been said, lots of coconut additives in boilies and groundbait additives. Bream seem to like it added to groundbait. My first double 35 years ago came to a bed of groundbait with Red Cap additive in it, which was coconut based. Brasam also contains coconut and again that does well in attracting them.

caelan

Reaction score
hi mate
my mate started using coconut pellets this season caught carp/bream
on the GUC around tring go to local tackle shop packs of hooks already
tied with bait stop ask at the counter they will show you how its done
packet of hooks an a needle 5quid not bad tight lines

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I guessed coconut must have been used before, every known substance to man has been. Its just for some reason I had never heard of it. From the answers it appears to be a good bream and carp additive. I checked Peters links and I think if these pellets work for me I might venture for some of the ready made stuff. I might try them as they are and maybe ground some up and use them in some ground bait as well and see what happens.
As to hair rigs, it wouldn't hurt me to try some ready prepared ones some time as suggested. My next trip will probably be to my local park lake, it holds carp, tench, some bream, plenty of roach, I will give them a try.
Thanks for the replies.---Mark

denzinho

Reaction score
I used coconut boilies last year for a session.....Never again. Everyone was catching apart from me :(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I hair rigged a whole coconut yesterday and the bites were far from shy:eek:mg:
Taxi......

Does make you wonder though, tiny bits of raw coconut punched out with a bread punch out on the hook ! Dyed or flavored different colors maybe-maybe left to soak overnight in something to soften up a bit.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm already a curry addict . My favourite Indian restaurant was called Shimla Pinks.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use the Dynamite baits liquid coconut flavouring on both pellets and sweetcorn, I have had some brilliant results with it,
Also put some in a bait tub just enough to basically smear the bottom, then put some maggots in that have been riddled of bran or sawdust, give bait tub a good shake , after a while coconut smelling maggots, also had brilliant results.

rob48

Reaction score
Ground desicated coconut was a regular addition to liquidised bread feed on canal matches.

rob48

Reaction score
If I still fished matches I daresay I would Mark. I suppose that's the difference with what we call "pleasure" fishing, where you're not desperate to have an edge. I'll maybe start putting a bit more effort into it, if we ever get back to normal.

mikench

Reaction score
I have used desiccated coconut in my micros and added coconut water to soften them occasionally. I cannot remember if either addition made any difference. I have done it when both have been in the cupboard or fridge for a longtime. Otherwise it's too good for fish. ;) I love the taste and it is always worth adding to a curry.

rob48

Reaction score
I have used desiccated coconut in my micros and added coconut water to soften them occasionally. I cannot remember if either addition made any difference. I have done it when both have been in the cupboard or fridge for a longtime. Otherwise it's too good for fish. ;) I love the taste and it is always worth adding to a curry.
That's a sensible attitude to take but when you're competing any option to make a difference gets explored. I did draw the line at feeding steak to the trent chub though.