Feeder rod views

big bad barry

Reaction score
Hi all, apologies for asking as I'm sure it's been asked before!
I want a decent feeder rod for use mainly on pools, fishing mostly method, some carp to about 10 to 12 lb, tench etc. casts up to a max of 35m. I like the drennan carp puddle chucker, would 10" or 11" foot be better? Or is it worth spending the extra and going for a presto so mini 10 foot 6" maybe accasionally the odd canal targeting chub.
Thank you
Martin

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Martin,
Just a thought about rod-lengths if you are fishing pools from platform-type swims - get as long a rod as you can. If you sit - sensibly safely back from the front of the platform you will find the carp especially will try and go under the platform around the support - with too short a rod you will find it difficult to stop them. With a longer rod you can supply a variety of directional strains to guide them back to more open water.
Tight Lines!

big bad barry

Reaction score
Thank you Greenie62, I think I will go for the Drennan 11ft puddle chucker feeder, as you quite rightly say with a 10 foot it becomes difficult when they come in close, I think it should be a nice rod.
Martin

tobytyke

Reaction score
why don't you look at the maver reactorlite 10-6" brilliant rod and on offer here at £99
Home

big bad barry

Reaction score
Thanks Tobytyke the Maver looks nice, normally they are £150 plus, are they doing some kind of deal? Have you seen or used these rods? How do they compare to the drennan puddle chucked feeder rods? Sorry too many questions!
Martin

tobytyke

Reaction score
Yeah got 2 x 10-6" maver reactorlites brilliant for fishing method ,bomb pellet fantastic rod and at £99 a bargain. I've used the drennan puddle chucker and these are far better

big bad barry

Reaction score
Thanks tobytyke they have them in stock so I will probably order one, there are not many reviews, do you think they will handle carp up to 12 lb?
Martin

tobytyke

Reaction score
honestly they are brilliant. I have caught carp at Larford up to 20 lbs on them in the speci lake. In my opinion the only one that comes near to it is the 10 ft Preston mini carp but the Reactorlite at £99 is a bargain. If I hadn't got two I would have bought another at that price.

big bad barry

Reaction score
Tobytyke it's ordered, my good mate told me he has the combo feeder and said that's a superb bit of kit also, looking forward to it arriving and better still using it! Thanks for your help.
Martin

tobytyke

Reaction score
Good luck with it. I caught 94lb on my reactorlite on Sunday throwing a large 30g Preston method feeder 40 yards down the margins. Great bit of kit and so light

robtherake

Reaction score
A bit late for BBB, but a bargain for someone, maybe. If my Spectron wasn't so darned good I'd be getting the readies out myself. Reduced from £190 to £85.

Shimano Super Ultegra Feeder Rod – Chapmans Angling

Edit - Now i've had time for a good look this is probably too light for a method rod, but should make an awesome tool for lighter work.

Last edited:

big bad barry

Reaction score
What did you order? Another reactorlite or a Shimano, I'm still recovering from a broken ankle then will be trying my reactorlite out at Kingsbury water park! Can't wait!

tobytyke

Reaction score
I got another reactorlite 10-6 for £100 from Ian's tackle. I'm at larford for a week shortly so it'll be put to good use.