maggots to casters

swizzle

Reaction score
Good evening chaps,

I have just under a pint of maggots left from yesterday and I am planning to go to a lake after Tench on Thursday. I would like to take some casters with me but the local tackle shop has run out. What is the best way to turn them? The maggots are currently in the fridge.

Thanks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Place them in slightly damp sawdust and leave in a relatively cool place, like the garage floor.

Riddle them twice a day and take off those that have turned and put them in a clean bait box and place in the 'fridge.

Once they have all turned then cut a piece of plastic (from a supermarktet bag or similar) a few inches all round bigger than the bait box top and place that between the box and the top, and secure, and keep in the firdge until needed.

They shouldn't turn to floaters if used within a few days of turning.

We used to turn large quantities like this with rarely any problems.

john step

Reaction score
Have a look at Willy Worms web site. They do casters by post. Keep some frozen ready to go.

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Place them in slightly damp sawdust and leave in a relatively cool place, like the garage floor.

Riddle them twice a day and take off those that have turned and put them in a clean bait box and place in the 'fridge.

Once they have all turned then cut a piece of plastic (from a supermarktet bag or similar) a few inches all round bigger than the bait box top and place that between the box and the top, and secure, and keep in the firdge until needed.

They shouldn't turn to floaters if used within a few days of turning.

We used to turn large quantities like this with rarely any problems.

This may sound a bit dim, but I've never been sure. When you say Riddle, do you put everything in the riddle & let the maggots find their way thru, as opposed to "riddling" i.e shaking the riddle about in the normal sense?

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I left it a little too late this time, maybe next time.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This may sound a bit dim, but I've never been sure. When you say Riddle, do you put everything in the riddle & let the maggots find their way thru, as opposed to "riddling" i.e shaking the riddle about in the normal sense?

I do both in practice Hugh.

I use two bowls, one to shake the maize or sawdust into and then lay the riddle on the second tray and allow the live maggots to crawl through leaving the casters on the riddle together with any dead skins etc., so you still need to pick those off.

Hope this clarifies