Maggots: Maizemeal or sawdust?

peterjg

Reaction score
I don't use maggots all that often. Sometimes when you buy them you are asked "maizemeal or sawdust?" Which is best and why? Your info would be much appreciated.

laguna

Reaction score
Sawdust used to be the only option and did a fair job of keeping maggots fresh.
I think maize being finer is more absorbent though it can clump after a while especially if you get a few spits and spots of rain on them.
Sawdust being coarser does a better job of cleaning as they wriggle around.
Maybe a mixture of the two would be the ideal?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Maizemeal if you can keep them in ideal conditions. Sawdust if the conditions you are keeping them are sub-optimal. Sawdust if you need to clean them off, replaced by maizemeal if they are going back into optimal storage conditions.

Windy

Reaction score
Sawdust over maizemeal.

Anything with particles that are too fine can get into and clog the maggot's breathing spiracles and they can suffocate.

For this reason (and in preference to sawdust) I like to use cheapo economy porridge oats.

Works perfectly, feeds them if hungry, no too small particles and if they should set up a sweat it absorbs all that nasty ammonia. And if you want to clean them up it stays in even a coarse riddle.

seth49

Reaction score
The night before I go fishing I like to riddle the sawdust or maize meal off, and replace it with krill powder.
Just gives them that bit extra flavour.
Seems to help.

robtherake

Reaction score
Do your local tackle shops still smell of sawdust? I miss that aroma: it's more like the sweets section in a health food shop these days.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
As a lad, I used to nick Weetabix and crush it over the sweating maggots. It worked, but the evil-smelling balls of ammonia-laced breakfast cereal that made their way to the top were best avoided.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Maizemeal for me as well, although I'm of the opinion that not keeping maggots crammed together in the box is just as important as is keeping them in the shade whilst fishing.

Once they sweat they can also make a mess of maizemeal so for my money, keep smaller quantities in big bait boxes, and keep them as cool as possible at all times...

Butchers shops in times of yore always had sawdust on the floor. Still remember kicking it around as a youngster.

theartist

Reaction score
I keep a pot of maizemeal in my bag for them days away camping when the sweat up is inevitable, cheap and easy and far more practical than a fridge in your tent :)

greenie62

Reaction score
I keep a pot of maizemeal in my bag for them days away camping when the sweat up is inevitable, cheap and easy and far more practical than a fridge in your tent :)

I usually find Sure works well - but as per your recommendation I'll try maizemeal this summer to prevent the sweat-ups - any excess I can use for the maggots! :eek::D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I found out by complete accident a few years ago that a couple of pieces of kitchen paper dropped in the maggot box will dry them up a treat if they get a bit sweaty.

For cleaning or storing I use lightly dampened sawdust as it helps to keep them hydrated and plump. Weetabix is an old dodge I had forgotten about and many a breakfast cereal has been slipped into a coat pocket from fishing hotels up and down the country.
Porridge oats, as well as drying them off, also acts as a skin conditioner and they always seem to feel softer, like a wet chamois leather or a tench, when they have been stored in oats.
We used to get the blows on a sheep's heart then move them into a biscuit tin and feed them on milk soaked oats when I was a youngster, the maggots bred that way were fantastic big beasts and creamy white with huge food spots.

peterjg

Reaction score
Well! Many thanks for all the replies. I'm absolutely gob-smacked! All these special treatments for our maggots: skin conditioners, moisturisers, coolants, after shaves and then after all that we drown 'em!! Personnally I keep them so long that by the time I have finished with them we are on first name terms!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use maizemeal for storing maggots but always in a large tray to allow llenty of room for them to move around.

On fishing day I riddle them off a few times and put into bait boxes, never more than ½ full and cover them in fresh maizemeal and whatever flavouring I intend using on the day.

The only time I ever use sawdust is when turning fresh maggot to Caster and then it has to be slightly damp, and riddled-off regularly, two or three times a day after hte first day.

When fishing I tend to nealry always use a bait brolly either to keep my baits cool or to keep them dry in the rain so never have a problem with clumps of wet maizemeal.

I am rather OCD when it comes to my baits as to me they are the most important part of my kit so I never skimp on baits and always have a large selection in the largest of the Preston Monster Bait Bags . . . . . . . .

robtherake

Reaction score
I found out by complete accident a few years ago that a couple of pieces of kitchen paper dropped in the maggot box will dry them up a treat if they get a bit sweaty.

For cleaning or storing I use lightly dampened sawdust as it helps to keep them hydrated and plump. Weetabix is an old dodge I had forgotten about and many a breakfast cereal has been slipped into a coat pocket from fishing hotels up and down the country.
Porridge oats, as well as drying them off, also acts as a skin conditioner and they always seem to feel softer, like a wet chamois leather or a tench, when they have been stored in oats.
We used to get the blows on a sheep's heart then move them into a biscuit tin and feed them on milk soaked oats when I was a youngster, the maggots bred that way were fantastic big beasts and creamy white with huge food spots.

Was it a less smelly procedure than the meat-only route? I remember from childhood an older guy who bred his own mawks on the fishy refuse from his sea angling exploits. Tremendously big and active, their origin was only obvious when you burst one - and they smelt exactly as you'd expect.:puke:

benny samways

Reaction score
Does having clean or sweat free maggots actually make a difference to the quality of the fishing or is it just about making the maggots a bit nicer to handle?

I cant say I have ever noticed a difference, and part of me likes em when they smell all amonia-ery as this is a smell that fish can actually detect.

Sweaty maggots and a bit of chilli, tumeric or curry powder. Job done.

law

Reaction score
Me and my mate had an amazing haul of roach at the end of the season on sweaty, foaming maggots. One of the best either of us have ever had.
And it's a lake we have fished for 20 years.

Who knows if it was fluke or not.

alsoran

Reaction score
Maizemeal and not Maizeflour, or as way back when use "BRAN". It seems to polish and soften the maggots, same as anything though change on a regular basis.

retrobob

Reaction score
Maizemeal no question - sawdust just doesn't do a good enough job.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was it a less smelly procedure than the meat-only route? I remember from childhood an older guy who bred his own mawks on the fishy refuse from his sea angling exploits. Tremendously big and active, their origin was only obvious when you burst one - and they smelt exactly as you'd expect.:puke:

It must have been because I was banned from using the meat only method, plus back in the day when we had daily milk deliveries there was always plenty of sour milk about.