Advice on a new pole (beginner with a small budget)

mac92

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so as the title suggests I'm looking to purchase a new pole I'm a relative beginner to pole fishing and I currently own a 6m margin pole which I'm having a blast using however as I'm sure many of you have experienced I want that extra length mainly to reach features at the fishery I use that I currently can't get anywhere near. So I was hoping some of you on here could point me in the right direction as mentioned my budget really isn't huge it's looking to be around £150 pounds im wondering if I could get an 11m pole in my price range any advice on this would be MUCH appreciated I've seen some on sites like dragon carp etc under the "Avanti" brand name but I presume based on the prices that stuff is poor? Any advice would be brilliant so thanks in advance and thanks for reading!

ravey

Reaction score
Second hand will give you more bang for your buck, especially if you can find a friend someone who's just upgraded.

Good enough for you to get more experience with, and when you upgrade yourself, then you will not lose much.

Ideally something long and rigid, those are what most anglers seek in a pole. Also, something strong enough to cope with big fish, if there is a high chance of connecting with them eg carp.

mac92

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips ravey! And personal suggestions you can think of off the top of your head that I should keep an eye out for?

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
If you can push the budget to £225 then take a look at the Drennan Red Range
they do an 11mt pole with a spare top and it's rated to a size 20 elastic comes with side pullers as std and all you have to buy is a bit of elastic as all the connectors and bungs are included in the price... I have one and so far it has coped with 12lbers with ease:cool:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have fished with a cheap 11M pole really its only practical at about 8M after that it gets heavy and a bit springy.

I content myself now with fishing at that length and If I need to go further I use a feeder

mac92

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, not sure I could stretch the budget managed to find a "maver strong arm" which is 11m for £115 online with a spare top kit. Are maver not quite a respected name? I've also read around that it's easy to get extra tops and spares for them if needed Any help on this would be appreciated thanks again.

ravey

Reaction score
I gave my old Maver 031 (13m) away only a few weeks ago to a mate who has just started, and upgraded to a Middy XK55. Find yourself a mate like me !

To be fair, if you buy new, you won't get a great pole at bargain basement prices.

What do you need out of your first pole? Are you match fishing? Do you need to fish 'long'? Is it for carp? Do you need a selection of top kits? Sorry for all the questions, but all things to consider...

mac92

Reaction score
I really do Ravey however living up in Scotland there really aren't all that many fisherman up this way so that's a bit of a problem! Just pleasure fishing for the time being want to learn the ways then I'd upgrade if I ever considered matches, I'd prefer to fish long all the features where I fish are ar a distance of about 10-11m a selection would be lovely to start with but I suppose that can be built up over time? And I wouldn't be seeking carp as such but it would be needed for the likelyhood that I hooked into one. Hope this answers your questions. Thanks for the reply!