Chub around grantham

toby843

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get out with the missus Friday morning for a chub quest. I have had a couple in the past from the Swale while I was visiting and she had a Stillwater chub on Sunday from peacock waters which is near us. I'd really love to get a few off a river. We're at Cranwell so obviously the Trent is on our doorstep at Newark but we've had no success there so far fishing at bobs island a couple of times.
Anyone got any suggestions on the Trent or any other surrounding rivers. Happy to travel up to an hour if I have to. I'd love to find a small, clear river for some fishing like you see on the DVDs where you can see the fish etc but perhaps not living near the Avon that might not happen lol.
Any ideas?

B

binka

It might be worth phoning one of the tackle shops in Newark and enquiring about the Upper or Little Witham, I was practically brought up on it at Beckingham but I'm not sure how it stands with access and clubs nowadays.

If you can get on it I reckon it will be just the kind of river you're looking for.

Good luck :)

toby843

Reaction score
It might be worth phoning one of the tackle shops in Newark and enquiring about the Upper or Little Witham, I was practically brought up on it at Beckingham but I'm not sure how it stands with access and clubs nowadays.

If you can get on it I reckon it will be just the kind of river you're looking for.

Good luck :)

I drove round all the Grantham aa stretches around long Bennington and the surrounding villages and I did seem some decent fish. I think you might be onto something there.mthe only thing that put me off was the lack of backside access as I don't mind wading and fighting through undergrowth but the missus isn't quite as bear grylls as I am. Should be spot on once the undergrowth dies off a bit.

toby843

Reaction score
So I think I'm just going to try and find a decent peg on the Trent where we can drive to and park at. Keeps her happy with less walking.
Anyone care to suggest good areas?

I fancy having a nose Round at some other stretches of the Trent while I'm around the Newark area and I might do a bit of recce on the Bain over at coningsby as well at some point.
While I'm asking for advice Nyone got any clues about the Lincolnshire fens for pike now we're getting into the season? My winter goal is a twenty. Also would love to catch my first grayling trotting this winter, are there any good Lincs rivers for grayling or should I head west the Derbyshire?

B

binka

are there any good Lincs rivers for grayling or should I head west the Derbyshire?

Not sure about the Lincs rivers but the Lovers Walk stretch of the Derwent through Matlock Bath is stuffed with grayling, can't remember how much the day ticket is but would hazard a guess around a fiver from the newsagent next to The Fish Pond pub.

Fantastic scenery too, the missus would definitely like it if you need to earn a few brownie points towards your next session.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-...River-Derwent-at-Matlock-Bath-coarse-fishing/

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Try the Idle for chub at Redford behind Morrison or the chesterfield cannel at shire oaks
I have had some good chub at both places.

toby843

Reaction score
So the missus and I tried a Newark aa stretch on the tent near farndon which was really nice. We blanked but it was a good stretch that is much nicer than I was expecting the Trent to be. I had visions of it being like a huge canal. So im thinkin of heading back there this weekend for some pike and zander hunting using a mobile ledgered dead bait approach.

Also we joined Grantham aa and I've had a nice evening down the river witham at westborough and had a few nice perch to about a pound and a half. I have seem some decent chub there so will carry on down there.

There is a Stillwater on the ticket called buckminster brick pit, anyone know what is in there?
I've been down to Denton reservoir and had a look and I reckon it'll do some good pike this winter to lures and bait, might be a good spot to catch my first pike on the fly as well.

Then there is the river folly at peakirk and the welland at tallington. I'm going to try them all but if anyone can give me a heads up on what I'm likely to catch I can organise myself accordingly, like take pike kit or trotting kit etc etc. I'm really excited about exploring them this winter and I have perch, pike, chub and big roach on my radar this year. Not to mention a few day trips to Derbyshire for grayling!

Any int is good and I will make sure I post results of sessions.

Last edited: