Bread? Beginners guide?

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Hi

Any good threads on using bread in its many forms for coarse fishing? Ive done a search but cant see anything on first trawl through that looks like a guide.

Particularly interested in using bread flake and paste and also making up bread "feed", be that liquidised bread, bread mash or anything else. I want to try river fishing for the first time in donkeys years soon and I have kind of resolved never to buy maggots/casters again and just use bread (and other things like meat, sweet corn, etc)

Thanks all.

thecrow

Reaction score
“Wet Bread” and how to get the best out of it. is one on the subject, if you do a search on here for wet bread you will find it on page 17 about half way down, unfortunately I don't know how to provide a link to it.

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/346706-oewet-breada-how-get-best-out.html

Bit of a b. to find, had to add "Keith" to the search terms.

Practically the Bible for bread-fishers.

Just a note to add on paste: if you read old books about it, they advocate frantic kneading of the bread - developing the gluten or somesuch. Modern bread is made by the "Chorleywood" method, loads of yeast and a very short fermentation, and it doesn't seem to behave the same way, if you soak some dried/dryish bread, wring it out, put it in a bit of cloth (the corner of a retired pillowcase is ideal) and twist every last drop out that you can, then knead it through the cloth a bit, opening the cloth reveals a nightmare of goo that won't leave the cloth, or your fingers. Leave it overnight in the fridge, though, and it sorts itself out something wondrous!

If anyone can afford to feed old-style "Artisan" bread to the fish, they might like to do a comparative study...

john step

Reaction score
This link was put up by Teabreak on another thread but may be of use

Idler's Quest: My Way with Bread

This is a great way to use bread. Also search for the Drennan bread punches... the ones that come in 4 tear shape sizes and do much the same thing.

Also try the idea I raised a short time ago on here by using not bread but"wraps" You can punch them but its just as easy to cut the size required off with scissors.
With wraps you can cut what shape you want and pass the hook through once or better still twice so that the hook point is exposed but the hook is alongside the bait and not conspicuous.
It comes in different flavours too.

sagalout

Reaction score
developing the gluten or somesuch
You could try adding some wheat gluten that's what gives fibre paste the "strings". When I make me own fibre paste I have found the best way to get got "strings" is to only dampen the paste to start with and then wet it to the required wetness. I found that if you get it wet immediatly the "strings" don't grow.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My lazy effortless way with bread is to use as it comes.
For rivers but lakes as well sliced or whole I take a half slice, tear into small pieces and squeeze it into a hard ball in my hand. When you throw this in the river it will sink but start to break up. Some will stay on the bottom and other bits will break off and flow down the river, bits of crust certainly. Some will float to the top.
I like this because it gives three options, fish to the bait on the bottom, trot down with the flow. Occasionally, not often some floating bits will hook up on a downstream bit of veg and a carp my come slurping round it if seagulls don't get there first. Bream, Tench roach are likely to come to your bottom area, well in fact you can explore the river and find where the fish are preferring to feed and the area, bottom, mid water, downstream static bait or moving. I can add a few sweetcorn or other bait I might be trying which can lay with the bottom bread.
You can vary the bread, small pieces, bigger pieces and how hard you squeeze it together for different effects. If the bread is dry I some times roll it between both hands and it breaks up into a more finer cloudy effect. This will not sink and stay hard on the bottom but it can be of use.
You have to watch your bread as it sinks, work out where its going, depth/flow of water etc, alter the the lumps, how hard you squeeze it together etc. Less squeezing more floating. You have to squeeze it very hard sometimes into a ball in your hand to get it to sink quickly to the bottom.

Anyway, just my lazy man way, not for the ace angler but if you have not the time or cannot be bothered to prepare it, just stop off and buy a loaf and use it. It suits me as I am often off fishing at a whims notice. Its not very finesse or calculated but it works on a river. It can draw fish in, way off downstream who will come up and explore the source, stay and feed, keeps a good scent trail going down etc. gives them and me a choice. Where, how they want it, bottom feeders, mid water etc I will find them. Unless there's no fish or they just are not feeding full stop of course, little sods; I hate them sometimes..more elusive than the Higs-Bosum whatever that is when its at home.

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
Good article, thanks. I have been meaning to give bread another try and this just what I needed :thumbs:

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Thanks all, some good stuff in those articles.

All i need now is one on liquidised bread and pretty much all bases then covered! :thumbs:

rubio

Reaction score
Keith Speers article is most definitely my bread bible.
After reading it a few times I took on the challenge you have set yourself; stop taking maggots. You know you will be thinking about using them after all when you're waiting longer than usual for a bite.
It pays off to persevere. I'm still trying to fish with hemp on the same basis but haven't got there yet. 'Wet bread' seems to be the holy grail of bread fishing, but again I haven't got it right yet.
It is pretty good advice I believe to run a nice fluffy chunk of flake thro a swim before doing anything else other than fixing up your landing net. Can't recall whose advice it was but they knew some sense.

kenpm

Reaction score
Liquidised bread is fairly simple I discovered it by accident in the 70s grinding pond pellets up in my mothers coffee grinder attatchment on a domestic liquidiser to make early paste baits before PYM.Stuck a bit of bread in after to attempt to clean it and voila clean liquidiser and fresh bread crumbs.

You can produce "liccy" from any loaf that is a day old or older with a liquidiser just chuck it in and grind away crusts and all on sliced bread.if you want it finer grind it longer or use older bread,if you want really fine cut the crusts off grind it then freeze the crumbs for a while then thaw it and grind again.If you want it coarse use a food processor and just tickle it a bit.

It has a tendency to float when fresh,before it gathers water,then sinks into an enticing cloud,if you want it to sink for deeper water add some aquarium gravel and squeeze harder.
Another way is to add liquidised COOKED hemp to the bread but only just before you want to use it as it spoils it if you do it the night before.

Bread has to be one of the most if not the most versatile baits for hook bait and feed ever.

Last edited:

qtaran111

Reaction score
There's a great guide with useful pics here on preparing bread punch and liquidised feed. Works like a charm.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
And another here:Fishing the bread punch, Talk angling feature from Fred Davis.
I prefer Fred's way of keeping the feed crumb wet, for the simple reason that it won't attract ducks...

Experiments yesterday with bag-fresh supercheapo loaves from both Tesco and Asda showed that both could be soaked and mashed in minutes; the Tesco one could be kneaded into a reasonable "cupping" paste, but the Asda went straight to "mash".

By "cupping", I mean the Old-School method of making a little ball of paste on your hooklength, poking a "cup" in it and sliding it down to sit over your bait, as opposed to putting it in a pole cup. More research needed, but I don't have a pole with a cup.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Oops, wrong article! (Though still a good'un).
Somewhere on the web is one by a chap who keeps his "liccy" lightly wetted, a little bit at a time... one of you chaps must have a better memory than I have?