JW Youngs 5 Piece Travel Barbel Rod

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

hope all is well and sport is good.

Haven't posted for a while but thought I would just let you know that I have just published a quick review of the JW Youngs 5 Piece Travel Barbel Rod for those of you that might be looking for such a tool.

Will post some more reviews and blog posts about recent action over the next 48 hours.

Tight lines ad keep warm!

Angling in Italy | An Englishman living in Italy, rediscovering fishing again after an 8 year break. English Tactics in Italian Waters.

Windy

Reaction score
An interesting blog and good reading.

Especially your memories of Wyphurst which, as a present day Cranleigh resident and CAS member I share.

Best of luck and will keep an eye on out for your further posts.

Cheers

trotter2

Reaction score
Very good, I have the trotting rod and its very nice as well :).

robtherake

Reaction score
I very much enjoyed reading your blog and thought you might like to hear my thoughts on the Nash Dwarf rods that I've been using.

I'm happy with my Dwarves, having recently acquired a pair of 2.25lb ten footers. Just the job for the small waters I've been fishing and they're very accurate casters. The tippy action becomes more progressive with a fish on the end; they're very pleasing rods to fish with. I agree with the OP's opinion on the aesthetic properties of a cork handle, but the slimline full-duplon butt does its job. I feel that the short handle length may not suit all comers, but as a little bloke I find them to be spot-on. It remains to be seen how the reel seat stands up to a bit of hammer; it feels a little plasticky (is that a word?) and cheap to me. Time will tell. Definitely worth the pocket money price tag, though.

For margin work I bought the 6ft, 3lb test Dwarf. It's reasonably soft in the tip, yet has awesome power lower down the blank, making it perfect for hit and hold situations, although I'd prefer that the action was a bit more progressive to preserve hook holds. Makes me wish I'd taken the (slightly more expensive) Greys 7 footer, which seemed that bit more refined when I compared them in-store. The budget price and suitcase-length convenience of the Nash rod were what won me over in the end, and in fairness it's worth every penny.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great to hear from all of you so far who have both enjoyed my review and the blog, thank you for the kind words.

Windy, I am right in saying Wyphurst is no longer fishable? such a shame if so. Seemed so huge when I was a Kid but when I returned on a bit of a pilgrimage around 10 years ago it was a mere puddle, amazing to see fishing in the eyes of a Child ;-)

More posts to come tonight.

WTS

Reaction score
An interesting blog and good reading.

Especially your memories of Wyphurst which, as a present day Cranleigh resident and CAS member I share.

Best of luck and will keep an eye on out for your further posts.

Cheers

Any ideas what happened to Wyphurst??