Which Specimen Float Rod?

Reaction score
The wife is asking me to drop a few hints regarding what I would like for Christmas and whilst I was considering the Nash Scope rods I have instead began to consider instead a quality stepped up Float Rod, capable of landing Carp up to 15lbs.

Currently in the lake that I fish the Carp go up to around 25lbs although there are some large catfish etc and the lakes contents seem to be a bit of a mystery. Currently I am Carp Fishing but at times I get the urge instead to have a dabble with a Waggler, still approaching the water from a Specimen angle but without all the buzzers etc.

Interested to know what you would recommend and what your favorites are.

Many Thanks

Eric
Angling in Italy | An Englishman living in Italy, rediscovering fishing again after an 8 year break. English Tactics in Italian Waters.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Have a look at the Free Spirit, Tench Rod 12ft 9in, or look at a 12ft avon 1.5 TC or 1.75 Tc, also Free Spirit.

robtherake

Reaction score
I would say you're spoilt for choice; there aren't many manufacturers that don't have at least one stepped-up float rod in their range.

I use a Maver Reactorlite Match 1 where I need a longer rod with some steel in it: I've had carp to high teens on this rod, the non-locking action just soaks up the pressure. They do a heavier Match 2 which sounds like it'd fit the bill. You don't say what the situation is; a weedier/snaggier place would need a heftier weapon.

Reaction score
The Free Spirit Float Rods are beautiful but for the price I could get a Harrison built by Mark Tunley for slightly less, can't really stretch to this especially as I/She will be paying in the good old Euro and the Conversion isn't great!

The Lake I currently fish is a gravel pit, relatively snag less apart from the odd boulder but no real issues there.

The Drennan Tench Float I used to have many years ago, to be honest I may be one of the few that never really fell in love with it. One of the nicest specimen float rods that I ever had was actually one of the Nash Specimen Float rods which were released around 2005 I believe. For the money they were great and every now and then I trawl the net to find a replacement but to no avail.

Definitely looking for a more specimen style rod than a match rod, will start looking at maybe Fox and Wychwood perhaps.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The Free Spirit Tench rod is around £120, but have a look at the Korum range of rods, for the price you can't go to far wrong.

wanderer

Reaction score
The Free Spirit Float Rods are beautiful but for the price I could get a Harrison built by Mark Tunley for slightly less, can't really stretch to this especially as I/She will be paying in the good old Euro and the Conversion isn't great!

The Lake I currently fish is a gravel pit, relatively snag less apart from the odd boulder but no real issues there.

The Drennan Tench Float I used to have many years ago, to be honest I may be one of the few that never really fell in love with it. One of the nicest specimen float rods that I ever had was actually one of the Nash Specimen Float rods which were released around 2005 I believe. For the money they were great and every now and then I trawl the net to find a replacement but to no avail.

Definitely looking for a more specimen style rod than a match rod, will start looking at maybe Fox and Wychwood perhaps.
I owned the Drennan rod you qouted, hook pulls all over the place, match carp waggler, or a Barbel float rod, go for it, with what you tell us about your fishing , that is my advice.

jake182

Reaction score
The greys prodigy specimen float is an awesome rod, I love it, it can handle anything you throw at it, great rod

robtherake

Reaction score
Like Wanderer, I'm puzzled that you're discounting match rods in your search for the perfect big-fish float rod. Some commies are 20 years old and the fish have grown huge, so consequently each and every firm has carp float rods expressly designed for the purpose.

I had a similar conundrum to work out. I went from using a too-soft match rod to trying a 1.75 test barbel rod (too many bolting fish and hook pulls at close range,) eventually settling on a 12ft 1lb test Avon with a soft action. Paradoxically, I was getting fish to net in half the time using the Avon instead of the barbel rod. It seemed that the fish were bolting when they came up against the steely mid-section, whereas the soft, almost through action of the Avon didn't cause the same reaction, probably because there was no "brick wall" effect. The harder you pull, the harder they pull back, I guess.

I then bought a "Barbel Extreme Float," but came up against the same problem as with the 1.75 test barbel rod; it was so powerful that breaks and hook pulls were common, with the fish bolting against the heavy action.

Eventually, because the Avon doesn't pick the line up fast enough beyond a couple of rod-lengths, I compromised with the 13ft Maver Reactorlite that I mentioned in my earlier post. It has a more progressive action, but is lighter and far more capable at range. Critically, it doesn't cause margin-hooked carp to bolt in the same way as the barbel rod did. A later purchase - a Quantum Radical Old School Carp in 1.75lb test - has the same parabolic action as the Avon without the steely middle that most barbel rods possess, so it's useful for heavy float fishing in snaggier areas.

Coming back to the Reactorlite (and why test curves don't always mean that much,) these rods are guaranteed to be able to pick up a 1kg weight straight off the floor - that's over two pounds of pressure that can be applied to a fish without the rod exploding, and that's from a pencil-slim match rod, not a 2lb tc barbel or carp rod. I've used it with 10lb lines, without once feeling that I was overdoing it; the best modern match rods are truly remarkable.

I've read an article or two extolling the virtues of leger rods made up from heavy fly rod blanks; it's as if the fish find it much more difficult to build up a head of steam, with the rod acting much like a bungee does, so they're in the net in no time, feeling rather confused. I'm pretty sure the principle's the same.

Last edited:

Phil Adams

Reaction score
I personally love the MKIV Tench float rod.

However I picked up an old but almost unused Nash Elite Barbel rod, 1.5lb tc, for £30 quid the other day and think it would be perfect for what you ask. Its worth looking about.

Keith M

Reaction score
I personally love the MKIV Tench float rod

I like my Drennan MKIV Tench float rod too and I often catch Barbel and Chub from my local streams and Carp, Tench and Crucians from my local estate lake using it.

I like the MKIV's fine forgiving tip (which isn't out of place when I'm catching Roach or large Dace) and its progressive action, and I experience very few hook pulls and none that I could really blame on the rod rather than a blunt or masked hook LOL.

The rod may not be finished to the same high standards as my previous Drennan Tench rod, but I still think it's a decent rod.
I only wish it was a 2 piece rod so that It would be easier for me to carry ready made up occasionally LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Phil Adams

Reaction score
I like my Drennan MKIV Tench float rod too and I often catch Barbel and Chub from my local streams and Carp, Tench and Crucians from my local estate lake using it.

I like the MKIV's fine forgiving tip (which isn't out of place when I'm catching Roach or large Dace) and its progressive action, and I experience very few hook pulls and none that I could really blame on the rod rather than a blunt or masked hook LOL.

The rod may not be finished to the same high standards as my previous Drennan Tench rod, but I still think it's a decent rod.
I only wish it was a 2 piece rod so that It would be easier for me to carry ready made up occasionally LOL.

Keith

I dont think I can add any more to that LOL. All the reasons I love mine and more.

Which clubs do you belong to Keith?

Keith M

Reaction score
I dont think I can add any more to that LOL. All the reasons I love mine and more.

Which clubs do you belong to Keith?

Hi Phil,
I belong to Verulum AC which has around 18 to 20 stillwater and running water venues around Herts and Beds plus a couple of stillwater fisheries in Essex. I also have a free life membership (for services rendered) to another club which has a private estate lake in Herts (TWAC).

Keith

Last edited:

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Hi Phil,
I belong to Verulum AC which has around 18 to 20 stillwater and running water venues around Herts and Beds plus a couple of stillwater fisheries in Essex. I also have a free life membership (for services rendered) to another club which has a private estate lake in Herts (TWAC).

Keith

I've been thinking about joining Verulum recently myself. They seem to have some great waters and also seem to have a good club spirit.

Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.