Paddler caught out on film displaying true attitude...

sam vimes

Reaction score
That's a bit closer to the reality I've encountered rather than the pink and fluffy nonesense that paddlers and pro-paddlers generally try to portray.

B

binka

It's very typical of the r'ses I come across on a regular basis, lots of Mickey Mouse mitigation and a belief that ignorance of the law excuses them from being bound by it.

robtherake

Reaction score
Therein lies the difference. See, I still feel guilty for 'pulting maggots down the seat-hole of a similar twerp, maybe a quarter of a century ago (despite the fact that it was well-deserved.) The bloke in this video'd probably dropped the incident from memory as soon as he was out of sight.

It's estimated that as many as 1 in 5 people exhibit narcissistic or sociopathic tendencies. There's no cure and it's a waste of time appealing to their sense of fair play because they don't possess any. The self is the only important thing in their life and screw everything and everyone else.

Not that I'm saying that anglers with this kind of disposition don't exist; of course they do, but I get the feeling that our hobby/way of life doesn't tend to attract so many.

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
Although you couldn't clearly hear all the comments, it would seem there was some history between the two parties here. I think that because of the "chickening out?" comment made from the bank.

I have never paddled in my life and I don't know anyone who does. I am not pro-paddler and similarly I'm not anti-paddler. I'm a pleasure angler, with as much right to enjoy a bit of leisure time on the river as everyone else.

It seemed to me in the clip that one of the anglers started off the discussion with a sarky comment which I couldn't hear. The comments that I did hear were very aggressive indeed. I refer especially again to the "are you chickening out?" comment, which could only be interpreted as an invitation to physical confrontation.

The current's fast, the canoe would be past in 15 seconds flat and on its way with no disturbance to the swim particularly, but now unfortunately all the fish will have long since fled the man's petulant yelling and insults.

I would say live and let live. Jesus. It's no wonder these angry people get high blood pressure and heart attacks.

P.S. The Chaka-chaka-ch-ch-chakakhan repeat of the canoeist's swearing at the end of the video was like the world's worst rap video. Talk about over-egging the pudding!

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
would be past in 15 seconds flat and on its way

If I drove past your house at 100 miles an hour I would be past even quicker, but you wouldn't mind as it happened so quick would you?

Whats that I hear it would be illegal, so was what the knob in the canoe was doing.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Although you couldn't clearly hear all the comments,

Very clear when I listened, it was obvious that the paddler knew what he was doing was illegal as his first comment was " want my name and address do you"

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

the "are you chickening out?" comment, which could only be interpreted as an invitation to physical confrontation.

I think that's an interpretation that you have put on it, there are others as the comment was made after the paddler refused to give his details after asking if the angler wanted them.

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

with as much right to enjoy a bit of leisure time on the river as everyone else.

Absolutely agree, where it is legal and when the paddlers pay the same as anglers have to, unfortunately neither applied here.

B

binka

I refer especially again to the "are you chickening out?" comment, which could only be interpreted as an invitation to physical confrontation.

The way it appears to me the paddler was accused of "chickening out" for offering his name and address and then not fulfilling his offer, he certainly seemed reluctant by just replying "Dave" before being pushed and replying with his supposed second name, I note he never gave an address either.

maceo

Reaction score
Crow - Well if it's illegal, make a note of the description of the guy and tell the authorities there's a problem with illegal canoeing down there. That's the proper way to deal with it, not shouting aggressive insults from the bank.

For me, that's chavvy behaviour and shows us anglers up in a bad light.

Plus, as I say, if they'd paid for their day's fishing on that stretch, they just blew their money and any chance of catching anything with all that yelling and shouting.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Although you couldn't clearly hear all the comments, it would seem there was some history between the two parties here. I think that because of the "chickening out?" comment made from the bank.

It seemed to me in the clip that one of the anglers started off the discussion with a sarky comment which I couldn't hear. The comments that I did hear were very aggressive indeed. I refer especially again to the "are you chickening out?" comment, which could only be interpreted as an invitation to physical confrontation.

The comment made by the angler "are you chickening out" was referring to the fact that the paddler had shouted over to the angler asking if he wanted a name and address but wouldn't give one when the angler said "yes please" and proceeded to paddle off hurling out abuse.

As has already been said, the paddler will do it once to often and possibly finnish up in hospital....what a shame that would be :D.

thecrow

Reaction score
Crow - Well if it's illegal, make a note of the description of the guy and tell the authorities there's a problem with illegal canoeing down there. That's the proper way to deal with it, not shouting aggressive insults from the bank.

Plus, as I say, if they'd paid for their day's fishing on that stretch, they just blew their money and any chance of catching anything with all that yelling and shouting.

The only aggression I heard was from the paddler with his use of 4 letter words or do you suffer from selective hearing? maybe you would be better of on song of the paddle, they seem to have some of the views that you hold.

I know where that piece of river is, its private, no PRN, no agreement with the landowner for launching, the angling club that have the angling rights on there have them because they have paid for them and fish there legally.

From the statement you make in your 1st sentence "well if its illegal" it would seem that you know very little about the law and paddlers, where they can and cannot do it, perhaps you should do a search on here there is plenty of information that would enlighten you.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

The comment made by the angler "are you chickening out" was referring to the fact that the paddler had shouted over to the angler asking if he wanted a name and address but wouldn't give one when the angler said "yes please" and proceeded to paddle off hurling out abuse.

As has already been said, the paddler will do it once to often and possibly finnish up in hospital....what a shame that would be :D.

I don't think he was chicken.

He was one of these :D

maceo

Reaction score
Really? Fighting over him enjoying himself canoeing down the river so that he ends up in hospital?

It's a massive over-reaction and indicative of the non-tolerance there is these days for a moment's inconvenience.

It ruins so many hobbies and sports by them taking them over-seriously. Fishing is a bit of fun. Like canoeing. These shouting louts are like the over-aggressive dad shouting on the sidelines of the football.

Some of them should really take a look at themselves.

B

binka

I think your interpretation of an aggressive insult is as far removed, from a straight forward question of reply in relation to the paddlers refusal to stump up his originally offered information, as paperclips are to Jupiter.

maceo

Reaction score
The only aggression I heard was from the paddler with his use of 4 letter words or do you suffer from selective hearing? maybe you would be better of on song of the paddle, they seem to have some of the views that you hold.

I know where that piece of river is, its private, no PRN, no agreement with the landowner for launching, the angling club that have the angling rights on there have them because they have paid for them and fish there legally.

From the statement you make in your 1st sentence "well if its illegal" it would seem that you know very little about the law and paddlers, where they can and cannot do it, perhaps you should do a search on here there is plenty of information that would enlighten you.

That's nonsense. As I said before, the first comment was shouted out by the angler. I don't know what it was, but it was sarky - you could tell by the tone of voice. It was seeking confrontation and I imagine the fact they were filming it was because they were expecting and hoping confrontation.

I do not know what piece of river that is and still don't. That is why I do not know what the law is for that stretch and I still don't - only what you tell me. I'll take that to be true and you can feel free to replace "if" with "Because" in my statement about reporting it to the appropriate authorities.

As for being a paddler, I have already told you that I have never ever paddled and don't know anyone who does. I don't suppose my porky frame would wedge into the seat hole anyway!

I see them come by when I'm fishing and have never had the slightest problem with them. Give 'em a nod as they go by. Make sure I've reeled in for them.

In fact a while ago on the upper thames, one old couple in a double one went and retrieved an expensive float for me out of the hawthorn tree on the other side of the river bless 'em. You reap what you sew.

thecrow

Reaction score
It's a massive over-reaction and indicative of the non-tolerance there is these days for a moment's inconvenience

You are tolerant of law breakers then?

The only thing that was ruined was the anglers day, ruined by an illegal act. You have no idea how long the angler may have spent building that swim up how much bait had cost him how much the club card to fish there is have you? the club is not cheap to join and having paid to fish there the least the angler can expect is to enjoy his day without it being spoiled by a selfish paddler breaking the law.

I cant see a fight taking place, are you watching the same video, all I can see and hear is aggression from the paddler towards the angler

Just one other thing, how many other anglers had their day spoiled by 1 selfish illegal paddler as he went down the river?

maceo

Reaction score
I think your interpretation of an aggressive insult is as far removed, from a straight forward question of reply in relation to the paddlers refusal to stump up his originally offered information, as paperclips are to Jupiter.

Binka - every single thing the angler utters in that video is in that horrible sarky passive-aggressive tone. It's plain to anyone who watches it. There's no value in pretending the angler spoke in a friendly or even polite way.