Clipped up casting

wanderer

Reaction score
This question caused a lot of disagreement on another website, i had some serious input but had to admit my original answer was not correct, i thought about it and eventually varied my mathematical calculation and acheived the correct answer. Heres the question, If casting say fifty yards in 10 foot of water, how far do you put your loosefeed away from where your lead lands to ensure its over your hookbait.

soft plastic

Reaction score
If you are feeding/fishing via a feeder of some description, and that is clipped up, then a turn or two of the reel to match the hook length should see the hookbait amongst the feed, yes?

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
Cant tell you yet, let other lads give their opinions, its all part of the fun, the result was surprising and then i will tell you how it was proved.

thecrow

Reaction score
The fall of my terminal tackle and the depth of water I was fishing in has never bothered me, freebies that had been spodded out would imo spread out as they sank the amount of spread being determined by what was in the spod baiting a fairly wide area, once baited I would always put my line marker shorter than the spod line not wanting fish to spook off my reel line.

To many variables for any mathematical equation to be totally accurate imo.

wanderer

Reaction score
You are a very wise old crow, and i am saying no more at the minute, but how short.

wanderer

Reaction score
Why do you come to that conclusion Chris, and the same to the rest of you, please give reasons.

rayner

Reaction score
I just feed to the splash when bomb fishing via catapult.
Having said that on my venue feeding the bomb line with a catapult is a bad idea after the first amount of feed.

laguna

Reaction score
Why do you come to that conclusion Chris, and the same to the rest of you, please give reasons.

Assume no line stretch, accurate casting from the exact same spot, feathering, same line type and diameter, rod length using identical rods and zero wind. etc.

The lead that hits the water at a distance of 150ft will fall 10ft in an arc which equates to a 1ft shortfall of where loose feed should be... or 1mm on my ruler.

I simply worked this out using straight lines substituting feet for mm.

* No Pi was harmed in the making of these calculations. :D

wanderer

Reaction score
Assume no line stretch, accurate casting from the exact same spot, feathering, same line type and diameter, rod length using identical rods and zero wind. etc.

The lead that hits the water at a distance of 150ft will fall 10ft in an arc which equates to a 1ft shortfall of where loose feed should be... or 1mm on my ruler.

I simply worked this out using straight lines substituting feet for mm.

* No Pi was harmed in the making of these calculations. :D

Dont assume no line strech, that where i made an error, it was clipped up and the energy implied causes a catapult effect.

rayner

Reaction score
If the rod is held in a soft fashion after the cast the catapult effect on the casted weight is greatly reduced so causes little reduction in length.
In my opinion.

laguna

Reaction score
Dont assume no line strech, that where i made an error, it was clipped up and the energy implied causes a catapult effect.
Inevitably there will be line stretch (even with braid to some degree at that weight and distance), the weight of a full spod/rocket and the inertia/recoil effect it would have compared to the lead by itself.... lots of variables to consider.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you watch many good match anglers that are fishing clipped up they often pull the rod backwards while the lead/feeder is in flight giving slack line, the lead/feeder is then felt down by allowing the rod to move forward as the lead/feeder lands, does this negate any stretch there may be in the reel line?

laguna

Reaction score
If you watch many good match anglers that are fishing clipped up they often pull the rod backwards while the lead/feeder is in flight giving slack line, the lead/feeder is then felt down by allowing the rod to move forward as the lead/feeder lands, does this negate any stretch there may be in the reel line?

I think so Mr Crow. Its what I do to stop my lure smashing into the far side of the canal :eek:mg:

Philip

Reaction score
Thats why when i fish clipped up casting tight to say overhanging trees as the lead hits the surface i push the rod forward to try and reduce the spring back effect.

Like the crow i generally try to fish rod side of big baited areas to avoid lines across the baited zone.....or fish it from an "odd" angle..i.e not where everyone else plonks thier bank sticks to change the line angle to something the fish dont expect.

For baited areas Casting to your spod rings but not pushing the rod forward means the arc as it drops and the spring back effect will have you fishing towards the back of the feed... but as a few have said there are allot of variables Including how high above the surface your casting from.

peterjg

Reaction score
There is no formula, there is no accurate answer. As already said there are too many variables. Not least the angle of tragectory of the cast. Bait to the centre of the ring made by the lead hitting the water before the ring gets too big.

Anyway, it's sometimes better to cast off to one side of the baited area - that could be my excuse for being a rotten caster!