shotting pattern

11alan111

Reaction score
this year i will be trying trotting a float on the river wye,i have bought a korum cs 13 foot rod,and i have a closed face reel,can anyone advise on poundage of line and what type of float to use and what shotting pattern please.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Line: depends on what you are likely to catch or fishing for, if there are big barbel you will probably need something around 6lb if not 2 - 4 should cover you.

Float: depends on flow really and how far out you are fishing, if over two rod lengths then a waggler, if there is no flow then waggler.

Shotting pattern: just keep it simple,

Waggler - bulk around the base of the float (keep a few spare to put down the line if needed) with a few droppers down the bottom.

Stick - Standard patterns ~ shirt button, bulk and droppers

It all depends on depth and flow, if you keep some of the shot so that it is easily moved on the line it will allow for experiments.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

I thought there would have been something written.

This should give you a few pointers Alan :)

11alan111

Reaction score
i have never trotted a river before so im not sure of species,but i do know that theres dace,roach,chub and barbel.

Keith M

Reaction score
Here's three different simple shotting patterns that I use when fishing flowing rivers using Sticks, Avons and Balsas ; depending on the species and the way I want my baits presented.

And here's a couple of simple shotting patterns that I usually use when I'm fishing on slower canal type flows and on stillwaters with depths of around 6 ft or less.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
There's a lot but a bult and two droppers is always my go to shifting pattern

greenie62

Reaction score
Here's the three different simple shotting patterns that I use when fishing flowing rivers using Sticks, Avons and Balsas ; depending on the species and the way I want my baits presented.....

Nicely done Keith - that's a nice simple guide for an inexperienced angler - picture's worth a 1000 words 'n'all that. Plenty of room for manoeuvre and tweaking on those rigs as well as experimentation!
Tight Lines:thumbs:

Keith M

Reaction score
Two common sense tips that were given to me by my father when I first started to float fish many years ago are:

• When casting is required; try to use ever decreasing gaps between the shot (going down) which will make them a lot less likely to tangle during the cast.
  • Every shot should have a function, If a shot doesn't have a particular function in its current position then it is not really necessary so shouldn't be there.

I know it's just common sense but you'd be surprised how often I see anglers new to float fishing, getting themselves in a tangled mess simply because they didn't obey one of these two simple rules LOL.

Tight lines
Keith

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The Wye at Hereford is usually very deep (especially at the moment :) ). I would go for a longer rod, 15ft to get the best out of it. A close face reel is probably the best option there too - but upstream in the Hay area a 13ft rod and pin are a more fun experience as long as you have waders.
Pop into Woodys tackle shop and buy some bait there - and grill the owner; he's the local float fishing expert on that stretch and makes some tasty floats for it too.

jimlad

Reaction score
Keep an eye out on eBay for billy lanes float fishing books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk