Fish Thrash and Panic using slack lines and float

laguna

Reaction score
I've sometimes unhooked silver fish with a hook poking through its eye socket when float fishing.
Has this ever happened to you? More to the point, and I'm still on the fence regards this but; are barbless hooks to blame?

Hook in the eye, usually caused by panicking fish thrashing about when float fishing, I cant remember back to a time when it happened with barbed hooks and I'm pretty sure it never happened when ledgering on tight lines either.
I suppose a thrashing self-hooked fish will panic, twist and turn causing variable tensions on the line before you get it out of the water, which could in theory, cause the hook point to come out and back in again only to re-engage elsewhere in the back of an eye socket or some other part of its mouth.

On other occasions when float fishing for pasty carp up in the water, sometimes (rarely) the hook has gone all the way through their mouth - hook eye, line and all.

Panicking fish on a slack line or barbless to blame, bit of both?

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
...or just another form of foul-hooking? A fish heads for the bait and brushes the line with its snout, causing the hook to pull in a bit further up, maybe. Or it's lunged for another morsel of bait and met the hook on its way there? Whatever the reason, it's a fairly common occurrence.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Had a trout off Farmoor last week hooked plumb in the eye. It fought like hell and frankly who can blame it ? Almost certainly this was caused by it missing the fly or turning away at the last minute. I get the odd one hooked outside the mouth for exactly the same reason.

However, in my experience anyway, its quite rare to foul hook a trout. By that I mean a proper foul hook as in pectoral, dorsal, up the Jacksy etc.

B

binka

I tend to get this with small roach and perch occasionally and blame it on fish "blowing" the loose lake bed to get to the tiny pieces of chopped worm.

A couple of times over the years I've just had an orange eye on the hook and on one occasion on the river I had a huge wallop round on the barbel rod to find just a barbule on the hook :puke:

ciprinus

Reaction score
i once was left with just a fishes rusty sheriffs badge on the hook after a ten min thrash, dont know what the fish was thinking, but me? i didnt arf larf :eek:mg:

rayner

Reaction score
Yes like most I've fouled the odd eye.
Far likely to my mind for causing damage to fish has to be method feeders.
On far more occasions I have cast my feeder tight to an island and inadvertently struck fish in shallow water, I have on several occasions seen the odd fish floating belly up.
In my experience feeders are far more dangerous than hooks.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes like most I've fouled the odd eye.
Far likely to my mind for causing damage to fish has to be method feeders.
On far more occasions I have cast my feeder tight to an island and inadvertently struck fish in shallow water, I have on several occasions seen the odd fish floating belly up.
In my experience feeders are far more dangerous than hooks.

I've never witnessed a leger killing a fish, you must be a good shot!

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
Can remember a few times foul hooking a fish in the eye, not plesent.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've been using giant hemp on my last few trips and messing with various hook sizes in attempt to find the most suitable range and size for this bigger seed which I think I have now done.
However, in trying 14 and 16's, on both occasions I have foul hooked two roach - one several mm from the mouth and the other in the eye. No barbs so the hooks removed without undue stress - I hope !

I agree with the premise ( as with the trout and fly ) that the fish are possibly darting for the loose feed seed and turning at speed in all directions to pick them up, accidently catching the hook, much of which is exposed due to the way I hook the seed to aid hooking ratio ( I actually ' clamp ' the seed onto the back part of the bend and onto the shank, rather then on the bend itself ). Still miss many fish but hooking ratio pretty good - all part of hemp fishing !

This has only happened with the bigger hook sizes - 18 and 20 okay for standard size seeds without problem ......................

I just hope it doesn't happen too often though, otherwise I will need to have a rethink..

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I've never witnessed a leger killing a fish, you must be a good shot!

To be a good shot would infer I was aiming at fish which I certainly was not.
The incidents where fish have been injured of killed as been in shallow swims where large numbers of fish are present.
Some fish like living on the edge I suppose.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To be a good shot would infer I was aiming at fish which I certainly was not.
The incidents where fish have been injured of killed as been in shallow swims where large numbers of fish are present.
Some fish like living on the edge I suppose.

Deffo living on the edge with a crack shot like you ;):D