Why do you go fishing....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Someone asked this question on another forum recently and it made an interesting thread so I thought it might be worth posting the question here.

Why do you go fishing, is it purely to catch fish or is there more to it for you ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can really enjoy other aspects of the fishing experience, as a by-product, but I'm primarily there to catch fish. If that were not the case, I'd not bother paying for memberships, bait and licences. There are plenty of places that I can sit by water, contemplate my navel, see wildlife and watch the world go by, for free. Much as I prefer to fish in nice locations, I've yet to get the just being there vibe. I'd sooner catch in a dump than blank in paradise.

robtherake

Reaction score
It's a lot of things, all wrapped up as a fascinating package. I believe fishing attracts the curious, and what better mystery than what lives beneath the water? There's a sense of individual achievement, a love of paraphernalia and an appreciation of nature and the outdoors. It's the greatest stress reliever there is, as our biorhythms fall into step with nature, freed of the interference and distractions of daily human life. It's Zen and the Art of Coarse Fishing, and I bloody well love it. :D

seth49

Reaction score
Lots of different reasons.wildlife, scenery,and meeting people with the same interests.

But it's mainly the fishing always has been, nothing I'd rather be doing than go fishing nowadays. It sure beats working now I'm retired.

It makes me feel young again too, forget all my aches and pains, and just enjoy what I'm doing, what ever type of fishing I happen to be doing.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Why do you go fishing ?

The simple answer would be, because I can, from an early age to old age.

Friendship, camaraderie, a challenge, isolation, competition, environmental awareness, you name it; Fishing caters for all types and should be enjoy for what it gives the individual angler.

My preferred fishing has in the past be specimen based, but I'm just as happy catching small fish on traditional tackle, as I am fluff chucking or casting out a bunch of rag worms on a beachcaster.

Bob

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Very similar to Rob. I have always been curious about wildlife in general, but particularly in water. As a kid I used to catch tiddlers in a net and study them in the jam jar they always went into, but also tadpoles, newts etc. With the invention of polarized lenses it opened up the summer rivers and gave me the chance to watch fish as well as try and catch them. Fishing also makes me feel good, probably taking me back to childhood when the world was so much less complicated!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
People often ask me that, I usually say I have never found a nicer way to spend a day. they don't often believe it so its my little secret.

Last edited:

lee_j

Reaction score
Upto now I agree and can relate to every post , it's made me realise what we've all got , when you get the chance to go your thoughts are on the venue your plan of attack plan b's tackle and bait but threads like this just make you sit back and think how lucky we all are to have this in our lives.
Then it just makes you want to go fishing :)

B

binka

Many of the reasons already given.

The bottom line is that it has to be relaxing though, that might involve a "busy" type of session where I'm looking for lots of bites on the float or a more slower style of fishing sat behind a couple of rods for fewer, but more selective fish.

I'm not a great one for pre-planned campaigns and I think the reason is that I can't just wake up and go with the mood on the day, and when I am targeting something in particular i'll occasionally go with a method which I want to go with even if it's not necessarily the best method for the job in hand.

With respect to that last comment I had a very similar conversation with Flighty yesterday regarding my overuse of the 'pin both on river and stillwaters since returning to it late last year and we agreed that you get to the point where you allow yourself certain "indulgences" if they give you a greater pleasure.

So I guess the simple answer for me is plain old enjoyment.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Relaxation and enjoyment.

Also gets me out of doing jobs around the house.

mikench

Reaction score
All of the above. I enjoy walking and birdwatching and fishing supplies both.

I doubt very much I would sit on a chair, by a lake or river all day with just a pair of binoculars in my hands! Indeed i would feel very self conscious. However with a rod in hand or at my side I am not self conscious at all.

Yesterday in the cold rain and wind, the fishing was pants but seeing a buzzard land in an adjacent field and catch a rodent, hares doing what they do best, courting grebes, a kingfisher, bull finches and a heron being warned off by a Canada goose, I wasn't at all disappointed!

Last edited:

lakhyaman

Reaction score
All of the above and the sheer magic of pulling a rabbit out of a hat. At least that is how I feel every time I pull a fish out of the water - absolute child like wonder!

The jewel like perfection of a little fish when he suddenly materializes.....

I can't remember which angling book I read it in but "pulling leviathan out of the depths only to lose him at the net is a bitter addiction" - or words to that effect.

That too has something to do with it!

All the best

Lakhyaman

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like most other anglers I also enjoy all the different extras that come with a day out on the river or on a still water but if i'm honest I go fishing to catch fish and if I don't catch then I don't feel fullfillment.
If I want to look at wildlife etc and be out in the fresh air i'd rather be out walking with the dogs than stood or sat holding a fishing rod.

Last edited:

lutra

Reaction score
Well I've got to do something with all this fishing tackle I've spent 40+ years collecting. We can try a game of footie with some of your pins if you fancy Ian. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I've got to do something with all this fishing tackle I've spent 40+ years collecting. We can try a game of footie with some of your pins if you fancy Ian. :)

I'd rather do a bit of pole vaulting with your normarks Brian :D

Still waitin for some decent weather, it's supposadly warming up quit a lot in a week or so....a week of warmth and i'll give you a bell and we'll go and stretch some tinca traps ;)

rayner

Reaction score
I really don't know why perhaps it's just an habit all I can say is it's fun. I'm definitely not fit enough and without my wife I could never manage.
That doesn't stop me trying to catch more than everyone I can see even if I struggle mostly.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I go because I want to catch fish, and while doing that, i get to enjoy all that nature has to show. If i blank, then mother nature always comes up with something to enjoy.

It doesn't get any better than that for me.

lutra

Reaction score
I'd rather do a bit of pole vaulting with your normarks Brian :D

Still waitin for some decent weather, it's supposadly warming up quit a lot in a week or so....a week of warmth and i'll give you a bell and we'll go and stretch some tinca traps ;)

Nice one Ian.:thumbs:

Walked another 12 miles of ribble way this afternoon. Great to see it waking up even without a rod in hand. Buzzards, kingfishers, herons, an egret, dippers,....... all busy bee's today.

steve2

Reaction score
I don’t know why I go I just do, it is something I fell in love with as a kid and still do. Like many I just like being outdoors and watching what is going on around you. I have missed many bites because I have been too busy watching nature.
Bird watching, as a full time hobby would bore me but put a rod in my hand and can watch them all day. Birds and animals just seem not take any notice of anglers.