Knotable wire for Perch (as insurance for Pike)

siychrist77

Reaction score
I know we're not exactly in prime Perch season, but Ive been targetting on stillwaters in the close season without much joy. Prawn and worm have got me carp and roach, whereas on a couple of occasions a livebaited roach/rudd/perch on a paternoster under a loafer got me snapped off by pike (in a lake I was told there were no pike).

Frankly, I want to dedicate a bit more time to the livebaits, but I'm struggling to find the definitive solution that allows me to use a single hook trace, with the benefit of not leaving hooks in Pike's mouths (and landing some of course).

Is there a product out there that someone can recommend?

Bob Roberts has this to to say

"Perch do not like wire traces, hence the 8lb nylon trace. You can use braid but this tends to result in a few tangles. Pike can be a nuisance and you’ll lose a few when the nylon link is bitten off, but don’t fret too much. The pike will soon rid itself of the barbless hook".

Am I being naive? Is it not bad form to knowingly use mono/nylon when you know pike are present? Or is really the case that to catch more perch you simply musn't use wire, and one of the outcomes of that is any number of lost pike (with hook still attached)?

Thanks

soft plastic

Reaction score
Very, very controversial subject this. It has caused countless arguments on various forums over the years. As somebody who lure fishes a lot, here's my take on it. If I am fishing specifically for perch then I rarely use a wire trace. Definitely not when drop shotting when the biggest lure I use is 2.5". I will on occasion use a trace when fishing with hardbaits, such as plugs, spinners etc. More so when the lures have trebles. Again, these are small and nothing bigger than 3". If targeting pike then naturally I use a wire trace every time, without fail. Over the course of many years I have naturally hooked pike and lost them due to them biting through nylon. Have to say that this is relatively rare. Most pike I have landed when drop shotting have been hooked on the extremity of their mouths or on the outside. Different matter if they take a plug but again most are lightly hooked. Don't like to lose them but I accept it can and will happen when targeting perch. The same as when fishing for roach on the pole and a pike snaffles a fish. You wouldn't dream of presenting a maggot on a wire trace, would you? Same as when anglers fish with worm, a lot of pike are hooked on these! I accept that some may disagree with my ethos but I am happy with it and ain't going to change.

B

binka

Give this a try...

I've landed pike over 20lb on the 10lb strength whilst perching along with a few zander too, i'll also be using it soon for stillwater eels and have no doubt it will be fine for the job.

siychrist77

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems a bit of hot potato topic. No doubt someone will ask the same question in 12 months time :)

I think ill give the Drennan a go, although Im still just a little suspicious of its knotting qualities, not to mention the presentation of the bait compared to mono.

Im sure Ill find it if I research, but are there any particualr knots to try with this wire? Are there perhaps hooks with a bigger eye that would allow for a loop and twirst method more associated with trace-making?

soft plastic

Reaction score
As binka says, the Drennan stuff is good...as are any of the knottable trace wires. Several makes available, AFW, Knot to Kinky, Fox etc. AFW Surflon Supreme being my favourite. Use it for all my piking. No need to twist, splice or anything. All of them are suitable for making a trace when perching, if so desired.

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
Wonderwire is the stuff.....if you can find it.
Yeah, remember that stuff. Bloke who started the company sold it on around 2001/2002. Pretty sure it was wound up shortly after. All the other stuff mentioned is very good though.

B

binka

I think ill give the Drennan a go, although Im still just a little suspicious of its knotting qualities, not to mention the presentation of the bait compared to mono.

Im sure Ill find it if I research, but are there any particualr knots to try with this wire? Are there perhaps hooks with a bigger eye that would allow for a loop and twirst method more associated with trace-making?

No need for bigger eyed hooks and rest assured it knots just fine, be careful to run the loops down with your finger or thumb nail so that the knot is reasonably tight to the eye before pulling it completely tight.

I've never felt the need to try it with a paloma, this is a simple half blood knot and no need to tuck with this material, perfectly sufficient without the tuck and if you do it's likely to make a mess of the wire...

john step

Reaction score
I have not used it personally but I spoke to an angler who showed me his pike trace which appeared to be very soft and he assured me it was knottable.

From recollection it was called TRESS and I think an import.
I have googled this and found references to TRESS as a kevlar coated wire trace.

Might be worth investigating further.

siychrist77

Reaction score
All good stuff, thanks.
Must just remember not to instintively bite the excess off!

steve2

Reaction score
Try looking in a hobby/craft shop for tiger tail stranded jewelry wire might just be what you are looking. Surprising what you can find when you look else where.

roughie

Reaction score
AFW Surflon Micro Supreme, brillant wire very supple and knottable. available online at Eddie Turner Tackle. Its not cheap,
however lasts a long time.

Philip

Reaction score
Wonderwire is the stuff.....if you can find it.

Brought a big bag of that many years ago and I am down to literally my last foot of it ! ....made by Caliber tackle if I recall correctly...really good but did tend to kink a bit.

Someone else mentioned the Kevlar traces...I know allot of continental anglers swear by them...