Tying and storing hook links?

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Hi

anyone got any tips for tying up (or not bothering even?), hook links and storing them?

For general pleasure fishing mainly although I drop in an occasional ledger or marginal float rod for carp.

For "pleasure" fishing I tend to be using sweetcorn, luncheon meat or banded pellets so I could do with maybe tying up a few links for each bait with relevant hair rigged pellet band or meat spiral already on. Would probably put a swivel on the mainline end of these links.

For corn just loop to loop style hook links maybe with 14 or 16's on, at one or two breaking strains I guess.

As for storing them, can anyone reccommend a suitable container, presumably with some way of marking on the strength/type of line you've used and hook size?

Many thanks

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still like using the cheap black team daiwa rig/hooklength wallets for my float fishing hoolengths.
They're small and light and easy to carry in a waistcoat pocket, and they're quite cheap.

sagalout

Reaction score

qtaran111

Reaction score
Store them on a bit of foam pipe lagging

Pipe-Lagging.jpg

Hooks can be pushed into the foam and the other end loop or swivel can be stuck with a map pin. Bigger carp hooks or permanently attached pop-ups etc can be poked through the slot.

Here's mine:

IMG_6490-M.jpg

Oh and marking line strength, hook size etc? That's what the sharpie is for :)

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I use the pipe lagging trick for long hook lengths up to 3'
All others I use Preston hook retaining boxes.

bracket

Reaction score
I also use PI storage boxes. Generally the smaller (6inch) model for the pole. I just tie the hook to nylon then hook the hook around the first peg then take the free end around the opposite peg and nip the loop formed then tie a figure of 8 knot in it. The resulting hook length fits perfectly with just a slight tension. For hook lengths of 4 inches or less I use paper packets (not plastic packets, too much static for me). Anything over these lengths I tie up on the bank to the required lengths. Pete

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't waste time or the materials tying hook links and storing them.

I do my rigs as and when i am fishing.

I have mates that have made rigs, stored them for god knows how long, and still never used them, and they still make even more.

I have never bought the ready made rigs, hook links either, if i do a rig wrong and it goes on me, thats my fault, not someone from China :eek:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I don't waste time or the materials tying hook links and storing them.

I do my rigs as and when i am fishing.

I have mates that have made rigs, stored them for god knows how long, and still never used them, and they still make even more.

I have never bought the ready made rigs, hook links either, if i do a rig wrong and it goes on me, thats my fault, not someone from China :eek:

I must admit I've made rigs that are still waiting to get wet

ken more

Reaction score
If you make them up in advance, does it not tend to have a few kinks in it or be a bit springy (if wrapped around pipe lagging) if done a while before you actually use them? I can see the benefit for some if they use the Stamp collectors sachets to keep them in, but i prefer to make up as and when as it doesn't take that much longer.

team man

Reaction score
We all have our way of doing things, that's what makes us individuals.

I have both tied hooks direct to the mainline at the Waterside and also used hooklinks I'd made earlier, I suppose tying direct at the waterside is best, trouble is I do love playing with my fishing gear and making up hooklengths during the winter months or when I just want to play with the tackle.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I often smirked at those who bought pre-tied hook-links when I was younger, I always felt that it was better to tie them on the bank to suit prevailing conditions (or so I told myself:p)

The problems with tying on the bank are several and in some cases severe:

1) Drop a hook on the bank and it will be gone forever (might be your last)
2) Failing eye-sight and dexterity make the task difficult
3) Carrying all that extra tackle (spools of line and hooks in various patterns and sizes)
4) Deciding which combination to join together next
5) Deciding how to join it to your main-line with all the fiddly Heath Robinson combinations of plastic, rubber and metal (I still haven't got the hang of loop to loop:eek:) or indeed connecting straight to your main-line
6) Wind and rain complicating the whole process further
7) Apathy, I can't be bothered to explain that one

There are of course many and varied problems with tying hook-lengths at home

1) Just what combinations of line, breaking strain, hook pattern or configuration do you tie to make sure you have covered every situation
2) Dropping hooks on the floor could cause problems if you have pets (excluding fish)
3) The tv beckons
4) The other half beckons
5) The other half doesn't understand and wants to understand (she chews your ears off:rolleyes:)
6) Those who are dear to you want to help
7) Pets want to help
8) The fish in your tank start you thinking somewhat odd thoughts
9) The local tackle shop might have the bits (and more) that you want and need
10) Various web sites offer all those bits that you never knew you needed and never new existed and confuse you even more as to how and why to tie hook-lengths or further offer great clips of other people catching fish etc.

Personally, I have some tied up ready to go but hardly ever use them and; despite reason number 2; tie most of my lengths on the bank - I can do most blindfold since I have an easy way and use a very simple hook-length which can incorporate a hair or I just cut it off.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
trotter2...........They look just the ticket and pretty neat ! Just the thing I've been looking for and always good if recommended by another fisherman !!

Just one question ; Does the ' flap ' of the packet fold over and stay folded ?

Yes, I think I will try a batch...

( I looked up ' Glassine ' and Wiki states it's Air, water and Grease resistant ? )

ps Tying hook lengths on the bank ? Yes, absolutely fine in daylight and in reasonable temps, but not in half darkness of a summer morning or in the depths of winter when the fingers have lost all feeling...................IMHO

pps Apologies ; Another question...Are you able to write on them and if so, with what ??

Last edited:

qtaran111

Reaction score
If you make them up in advance, does it not tend to have a few kinks in it or be a bit springy (if wrapped around pipe lagging) if done a while before you actually use them? I can see the benefit for some if they use the Stamp collectors sachets to keep them in, but i prefer to make up as and when as it doesn't take that much longer.

Sometimes can be a bit of an issue if stored for a while, but not much different to line on a spool. Once you've given it a little pull and dunked it in the water it soon straightens out. If you're one of those take-the-kitchen-sink fishing types and have a kettle then you can always (carefully) steam the rigs.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
As most will know, i take my rods made up ready to go.

Rigs/ hooklinks are done at home and put onto the rods.

I only make rigs/hooklinks on the bankside if i change the setup.

rayner

Reaction score

In the 60s I used small envelopes before other more simple methods of storing hook links were found and hook envelopes at that time were a good idea, in fact then everyone use the same method.
The simple fact is that for longer lengths of line lagging is better for me and never caused an issue being springy
If hooks are stored in envelopes or on pipe lagging they both have line coiled with no problems.
The best way by far is for hook links to be stored straight, be that in a plastic wallet or box. We all know the different styles available.
The only way that usurps all of the above is to tie them on the bank in my opinion. It's something I can't manage now, from line spools, also with no issues from line being springy
Which ever method is used as with all things we all do whatever we consider best.

thecrow

Reaction score
Sorry if this is of thread a little but :)

I am about to start still water fishing again after years of only fishing rivers, I have now got most of what I will need together except hooks, obviously float fishing will require more delicate ones than I use on the rivers but I have a problem tying them up because of a shaky right hand (the more I use it the shakier it gets). I have always tied my own hooklengths and would like to carry on doing so.

I have thought about using a hook tier and have watched videos of the Matchman one and the Drennan one, the Drennan looks easier to use, I even looked at electric ones :eek: has anyone got any opinions on them? I don't want to use hooks to nylon if I can avoid it as I have never trusted ready made hook lengths/knots and it doesn't give me the freedom of changing hook size and line strength to whatever conditions require.