Loading mono onto spool

mikench

Reaction score
Should one attach the line and knot at the top, middle or bottom of the spool or does it make no difference to line lay when fully spooled?

qtaran111

Reaction score
There was a good article on FM about loading line a while ago explaining how to load up and minimise line twist (i.e. front or back of the line spool facing the reel with the line coming off in the right direction). Watch the embedded vid as it explains perfectly.

Loading Lines on Reels, Part 2 - Fixed Spool Reels

sagalout

Reaction score
I read the FM article I watch some yankee video and I still find the easiest way is to put the reel on a butt section, put a bit of soft wire (I use 2.5mm electrical) through the centre of the line spool, put the line spool on it's side on a towel on the floor, thread the line thru the but ring and tie to the reel, put your feet either side of the line spool traping the two ends of the soft wire and by varying the length of wire twixt line spool and feet you can vary the tension on the line spool. Load a way.

Sounds complicated but it is very simple.

PS I don't soak.

Keith M

Reaction score
If the wife is there I just get her to stick a pencil through the middle of the spool and put a little pressure (not much) on the spool, every 20 turns or so of the handle I get her to turn the spool around (180 deg); and that seems to keep any line twist out.

If on my own I place the spool of line in a bucket of water and feed the line through an old telephone directory before winding the line onto the reel (Works for me).

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I will try some of those methods. I push some pipe insulation foam into the butt ring to apply pressure on the line and that seems to work.

Great fun this fishing lark!!

team man

Reaction score
If on my own I place the spool in a bucket of water and feed the line through an old telephone directory before winding the line onto the spool. (Works for me).

Keith

The telephone directory, Is that so you get the right number of turns

carpinbob

Reaction score
I soak my line in water first ,then use the sensor line loader works for me.