Drennan Acolyte 13ft Ultra

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Just out of interest I though I'd raise this thread again. My biggest carp to date is just over 6lb and it handled the fish well on 5lb line.

I would post a pic but my profile doesn't have the correct privelages

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I caught this accidental 7lb fighting Barbel on my Drennan 13ft Acolyte Ultra loaded with 4lb line from a small snaggy stream, but I wouldn't deliberately use it for this type of fish, I had to play it with my heart in my mouth Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Nice fish Keith. The rods do take on a very nice fighting curve when a decent fish is on :)

How do you find the Drennan reel?

Keith M

Reaction score
Nice fish Keith. The rods do take on a very nice fighting curve when a decent fish is on :)

How do you find the Drennan reel?

I quite like them but sometimes the line comes off a little too easy which causes me the odd tangle problems around the reel if I'm not careful, but that may only be me Lol.

I like the three different capacity shallow spools that come with it.

They look fairly identical to the Greys equivalent reels (GFS 3000/4000 reels) only with different colour graphics and the Greys reels only come with two spare spools which is why I bought one of the Drennan FD4000's.

Keith

Last edited:

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I quite like them but sometimes the line comes off a little too easy which causes me the odd tangle problems around the reel if I'm not careful, but that may only be me Lol.

I like the three different capacity shallow spools that come with it.

They look fairly identical to the Greys equivalent reels (GFS 3000/4000 reels) only with different colour graphics and the Greys reels only come with two spare spools which is why I bought one of the Drennan FD4000's.

Keith

thanks Keith. You read my mind as my next question was going to be 3000 or 4000 :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
thanks Keith. You read my mind as my next question was going to be 3000 or 4000 :)

I wouldn't personally put a 4000 sized reel on any float rod let alone an Acolyte. The Acolyte is super light so why would you put a heavy reel on it ? I would have thought a 3000 size was perfectly adequate...maybe even smaller.

Keith M

Reaction score
I wouldn't personally put a 4000 sized reel on any float rod let alone an Acolyte. The Acolyte is super light so why would you put a heavy reel on it ? I would have thought a 3000 size was perfectly adequate...maybe even smaller.

The Drennan FD 4000 is not a heavy reel by any means (unlike a Shimano 4000) in fact it is a very light reel which is probably no heavier than its FD 3000 brother. Its main difference is the amount of line it's spools hold and It is nowhere near as heavy as a Shimano 4000 or a 4000 series reel in some other reels.

I think the FD 3000 and FD 4000 spools are even interchangeable.

I haven't weighed it but my Shimano Stradic 4000S GTM-RC must weigh about twice as much as my Drennan FD 4000 does and I certainly wouldn't use that reel on my Drennan Acolyte Ultra LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Matchpro; I landed two carp on my 12' rod earlier this week, one at 4lbs and the other at 7. Both took a single red to a 20 and although they were both in control most of the time, the rod, although bent to a fair curve, subdue both in under 5 minutes. ( I lost 4 others through hook length failure!)

The Drennan rods certainly take on a decent curve and down through the middle section as well, when under extreme pressure...

ps I was roach fishing, by the way!

ken more

Reaction score
Iv'e recently bought this rod and i like what i have read in this thread. Would i be on the right lines using a Shimano 2500 super GTM with it? The reel has the "fighting drag" lever, but i don't imagine using it unless i hook something large:)

P.S. I also think it is a bit small for a 13ft rod.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven't handled a Shimano 2500 but I should imagine the Shimano 2500 super GTM reel would be fine to use with your Acolyte.

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Drennan FD 4000 is not a heavy reel by any means (unlike a Shimano 4000) in fact it is a very light reel which is probably no heavier than its FD 3000 brother. Its main difference is the amount of line it's spools hold and It is nowhere near as heavy as a Shimano 4000 or a 4000 series reel in some other reels.

I think the FD 3000 and FD 4000 spools are even interchangeable.

I haven't weighed it but my Shimano Stradic 4000S GTM-RC must weigh about twice as much as my Drennan FD 4000 does and I certainly wouldn't use that reel on my Drennan Acolyte Ultra LOL.

Keith

Fair enough if it's a lighter than average reel. I still wouldn't use a 4000 personally but each to their own.

mikench

Reaction score
The thought of rods longer than 11ft makes me shiver; I would look even more inept:) am I right in thinking that all rods from 13 ft upwards are 3 piece?

greenie62

Reaction score
The thought of rods longer than 11ft makes me shiver; I would look even more inept:) am I right in thinking that all rods from 13 ft upwards are 3 piece?

Generally Mike - I think they are. Many of us who have been fishing for a few years were used to the standard 13' Match Rods which were 3-4 sections - so another couple of foot wasn't too much to cope with for the benefits of a 15 footer for example.:) - particularly when trotting on larger rivers!

Keith M

Reaction score
am I right in thinking that all rods from 13 ft upwards are 3 piece?

Some 13ft Drennan float rods (including the Acolytes) also come in two pieces plus a screw in handle extension so that you can carry them ready made up in their specially designed rod sleeves if you want to; but most 13ft-plus float rods are 3 or 4 piece.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some 13ft Drennan float rods (including the Acolytes) also come in two pieces plus a screw in handle extension so that you can carry them ready made up in their specially designed rod sleeves if you want to; but most 13ft-plus float rods are 3 or 4 piece.

Keith

Keith, don't you think that's just a marketing blagg ?...I mean the rods are still three piece and rather than just push the three sections together you've got to faff about screwing in the handle :eek:mg:.
I've never had any prob's assembling made up three piece rods.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Pretty much. There are a few 13' two piece carp rods out there. I have an example of a 13' two piece float rod, but that's rather unusual. Drennan are prone to cheating a bit with their two and a bit piece 13'ers.

For the life of me I simply can't understand why on erf Drennan has an acolyte rod that is two section plus a stupid little handle bit :eek:
What's that all about....surly it'd be better just to have the three even length section and be done with it, like they've and most other manufacturers have always done instead of faffling around with stupid ideas that don't prove or come to nothing :rolleyes: I really think they need to go back to the drawing board on that one,
It also don't particularly look good for the image of Drennan,
I seriously thought they'd come up with something better than that and considering the price,

Certainly ain't my cuppa tea :rolleyes:

I have a 13' two piece Trabbuco sygnum float rod that is an awsum bit of kit :D

And being honest I'm now starting think that I much prefer the two piece rods ;)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 13' two piece Trabbuco sygnum float rod that is an awsum bit of kit :D

And being honest I'm now starting think that I much prefer the two piece rods ;)

TM, don't you find the length of the rod in two sections an awkward thing to transport? I have a few two section rods but the longest ones are 12ft and even they feel long when carrying them.

That drennan rod would have been better if it had a handle that slid into the bottom section of rod as other rods have been made in the past, easier and quicker than screwing it in.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
TM, don't you find the length of the rod in two sections an awkward thing to transport? I have a few two section rods but the longest ones are 12ft and even they feel long when carrying them.

That drennan rod would have been better if it had a handle that slid into the bottom section of rod as other rods have been made in the past, easier and quicker than screwing it in.

Yea definitely Ian, I agree there about the Drennan,

Yea mate that I suppose is the only down side of two piece rods but in reality it's no different to a std carp rod,

I see what yer saying probably meaning about me traveling on the trains etc but the way that I look at it mate is that me fixed landing net pole is about the same length and I just simply use a couple or three post office rubber bands to hold rod in cloth bag and net handle together,

At one time I used to rove with a small quiver sling but once on the river the sling will now be empty and I've then gotta carry the blimmin thing, so nowadays I never bother with a holdall or quiver sling no more.......simples :D

Speak soon

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much as I like the 2 piece rods of 12'6" or more that I own, they are a complete PITA when it comes to transport. There's a reason that most people don't think two piece rods over 12' exist. There are also reasons why many wouldn't ever need a rod longer than 12'.