Top tip

mikench

Reaction score
In the last few years or so is there one tip/method/tactic you have adopted that has made a real and regular difference to your fishing success and which you are willing to pass on?;)

trotter2

Reaction score
Not really a tip, but a great idea to keep your rod set up positive advantage when your eye sight is starting to go. Lots better than messing about with glasses on the river bank.:thumbs:

mikench

Reaction score
Could you just clarify that? As a glasses wearer,even bifocals, I am constantly putting them on and taking them off.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Invest in a pair of polarised glasses. Use them to find the fish, or at least signs of fish activity. Whilst this is less important on the average commie pool, it can still make a difference to your day. On stillwater, unless it's the depths of winter, or the wind is unseasonably cold, follow the wind.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Possibly keep it as simple and natural as possible. may not improve your catch rate but saves on the pocket and giving yourself a prize headache trying to work it all out:)

mikench

Reaction score
When you say follow the wind Sam do you mean cast with the wind behind you or to the side of the lake where the wind is blowing . These may be the same thing:confused:

My tip , picked up on this forum , is change your hooks regularly!

sam vimes

Reaction score
When you say follow the wind Sam do you mean cast with the wind behind you or to the side of the lake where the wind is blowing . These may be the same thing:confused:

Go to the side/end of the lake that the wind is blowing into. That's where the majority of the fish are likely to be on many venues. I'm not suggesting that you must fish with the wind in your face though, it can be damned unpleasant to do so at times.

robtherake

Reaction score
When the wind gets up on a lake there's sometimes an obvious dividing line where the rough water ends and the wind-protected smoother area begins. This can be a good hotspot, particularly if you find an obvious underwater feature in the same area.

If you're thinking of visiting a new water it can be extremely useful to study the overhead photos on Google maps - drop-offs, deeper and shallower areas, bars and underwater weedbeds can often be clearly seen, so it gives you plenty of clues where the fish might be found. Saves time spent leading around, too.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
My tip is, don't start painting interior doors (6) when you should be going fishing, it really affects your catch rate :D only 1 left to do thankfully.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Go to the side/end of the lake that the wind is blowing into. That's where the majority of the fish are likely to be on many venues. I'm not suggesting that you must fish with the wind in your face though, it can be damned unpleasant to do so at times.

I am glad you said Many Venues . my pool i fish if you pick the area where the wind is blowing into it is an almost certain blank for you even on the bagging pegs 8 9 & 10 wind in means no fish out .. Hence only just over 3 Lb today on 10 ..

PG ...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am glad you said Many Venues . my pool i fish if you pick the area where the wind is blowing into it is an almost certain blank for you even on the bagging pegs 8 9 & 10 wind in means no fish out .. Hence only just over 3 Lb today on 10 ..

PG ...

Exactly why I said it. There aren't any absolutes in fishing, too many other factors can come into play. However, it's an excellent rule of thumb, at least until you learn differently on a particular venue.

trotter2

Reaction score
Could you just clarify that? As a glasses wearer,even bifocals, I am constantly putting them on and taking them off.

Hi yes I know the feeling. What I do is make the rod up at home including the float, shot and hook. So when I get to my fishing spot all I do if fit the rod together and set the depth of the float and start fishing.
It helps if you know were your going so you can have some idea of what float set up you need in advance. But for me its definitely better hope that helps Mike

Cheers Trotter2

mikench

Reaction score
It does thanks and largely this is what I do. I prefer a float adaptor to stops for this reason. I can change floats at will and largely dictated by visibility.

If I dot a float too far I just cannot see it once I have taken my eyes off it to watch a Buzzard or Kingfisher!

I now wear my prescription Raybans all the time even if the sun isn't shining. They are not polarised but i see better with them.

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Convince neighbours you have an expensive gravel drive by gluing rice crispies to your car tyres before driving off.

Sorry, you meant fishing top tips didnt you.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Don't take the kitchen sink, so many anglers take far to much gear, and 80% of it never gets used.

I never take anything I don't intend to use ! :D

Listen to people's advice. You don't have to take it but I have learned shedloads over the years [and still am] by simply watching other people, asking them what [ and more importantly why] they are doing what they are doing...and listening to what they say.

Bailiffs excepted naturally !

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
It does thanks and largely this is what I do. I prefer a float adaptor to stops for this reason. I can change floats at will and largely dictated by visibility.

If I dot a float too far I just cannot see it once I have taken my eyes off it to watch a Buzzard or Kingfisher!

I now wear my prescription Raybans all the time even if the sun isn't shining. They are not polarised but i see better with them.

Are the lenses a pale green colour, Mike? Mine look like these Chromance Sunglasses | Ray-Ban® UK and improve contrast and definition without polarisation. They're great driving glasses in all weather conditions and they were only a fiver at the bootie...naturally. Thought they may be copies, but the lenses work as advertised so I'm guessing they're the real thing :)