Question!

mikench

Reaction score
What is a spliced in quiver tip as opposed to the the last section of the rod which quivers?

chrissh

Reaction score
got this of google

Spliced Tip Rods

Spliced tip rods were originally designed for river fishing, where the angler requires a fast response to strike into fast bites. To produce this fast action tip a tapered length of solid carbon is spliced into the rod's hollow tip section. The resulting rod has a very fast action. The middle and butt sections of a spliced tip rod are very similar in design to the hollow tip rod (see below). Because split tip rods were originally designed for river, and in particular, stick float work, they tend to have longer line guides. Meaning the line will be held well away from the rod blank. This ensures that a line can be trotted down stream unhindered by contact with the rod blank and possibly sticking to the rod.

Hollow Tip Rods

Due to production techniques employing today's advanced technology, hollow carbon tips now account for over 90% of all rods produced. Hollow tip rods can be manufactured to emulate the action of a spliced tip rod, making the spliced tip virtually redundant. The hollow tip can also be manufactured with a slower, softer action, making it the most versatile tip type available. These variations in tip action are achieved by using different thicknesses of carbon together with differing degrees of taper within the tip's hollow cross section.

There is a popular misconception that the tip action is responsible for extra casting power and more power when playing a fish. This is not true. Casting power and fish handling properties are governed by the middle and butt sections of a rod. The tip action governs the sensitivity, or control, of the strike.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Basically a spliced in quivertip is part of the top section of the rod.
Most rods these days have interchangeable tips of varying weight.
The downside of spliced in quiver tips is if you break the tip off you may find it difficult to replace it.
Evidence of this can be seen in my garage:eek:mg:

Keith M

Reaction score
What is a spliced in quiver tip as opposed to the the last section of the rod which quivers?

A 'Spliced in Quiver tip' is a Quivertip that is permanently spliced into the end of the rods tip section as opposed to a rod that you can fit various different test curve 'push-in' Quivertips into, or 'screw-in' Quivertips which can be screwed into a thread in the rods tip eye.

The original 11ft John Wilson Avon/Quiver had a spliced in Quivertip; it also came with an Avon type tip section too.

Most modern day Quivertip rods have 3 or 4 different test curve push-in Quivertips which all fit into the end of the same tip section.

Oops! sorry Peter we must have both been answering at the same time LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I remember many years ago breaking the spliced section and buying a new section, cutting the damaged section out and fitting the new section. It involved pushing the new section in from the fat section of the tip section, marking the length and leaving a bit extra, cutting it to size then pushing it back through, then whipping and ringing it finishing with varnish over the whips - no wonder Simon slung his into his garage..........................

Keith M

Reaction score
I remember many years ago breaking the spliced section and buying a new section, cutting the damaged section out and fitting the new section. It involved pushing the new section in from the fat section of the tip section, marking the length and leaving a bit extra, cutting it to size then pushing it back through, then whipping and ringing it finishing with varnish over the whips - no wonder Simon slung his into his garage..........................

This is what you mean in pictures I think isn't it BB?

The Quivertip section of my original JW Avon/Quiver rod broke just below the spliced in quiver back in the 1970's and I had a new quivertip section sent to me by Ryobi for free.
I then repaired the broken Quivertip section using a replacement 'donkey-top' quiver and then ordered a new handle section for around £25 to fit the repaired quivertip section so I then had two slightly different Quivertip rods.

In those days I used to make quite a few of my rods and I used to really enjoy it.

Keith

Last edited: